IGNORED

Trailer Park Boys and Atari 400

Gunstar

If you don't know what 'The Trailer Park Boys' is, it's a Canadian comedy. It had about 10 seasons with live actors and then went to animated. They are all on Netflix. Anyway, Season 2, episode 6 of the Animated series has them stealing an Atari 400 from the mall.

https://www.netflix.com/browse?jbv=80235932&jbp=0&jbr=2

• Like 2

I watched them up to at least season 10 (there are 12 with live actors). Thought the Netflix seasons were not as good as the first few seasons (Ricky taking his grade-10 exam, LOL) but I still enjoyed it. Thanks for the tip on the animated series. Didn't know it existed. Now, are you going to do a Rastconverion of Bubbles? ;)

Edited by ivop

18 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Acquiring now...

Don't forget the 1999 black and white movie that started it all. Back in the day I got it through IRC. There's no DVD AFAIK, but perhaps it can still be acquired somehwere ;)

1 hour ago, 8bitguy1 said:

April Wine!!!

I had to look that one up to find out it was a Canadian rock band. I'd never heard of them before. Are they worth giving a listen too?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

I had to look that one up to find out it was a Canadian rock band. I'd never heard of them before. Are they worth giving a listen too?

Late 70's hard rock, they are definitely worth listening to.  I'd be surprised if when you listened, you didn't recognize the odd tune.  They were quite popular abroad (though not to the level here).

Bad Side of the Moon

Sign of the Gypsy Queen

I like to Rock

Say Hello 

Give those a listen on Youtube.

I was at a free concert they put on in London, Ontario sometime around 1992 (could be off a bit on that), it was a bit of a get back together free show put on by a local rock station.  They expected 5-7k in the crowd at the bandshell in a downtown park.  Hit 30k, people were everywhere, though April Wine predates my era (was born in 74, so late 80's to early 2000's is really my music peak)...because the band fed off the unexpected size and energy of the crowd, I think that was my favourite concert of all time.  

Anyway, all that came back to me when I saw the shirt.  Never been much of a TPB fan though....

• Like 2

Brother of an ex got in a relationship with a Canadian woman from Quebec. I guess it's a language thing, but I had to tell her about The Tragically Hip, Trailer Park Boys, and even The Band (!)  She knew about Joni though. Sort of. Didn't ask about Neil.

Edit: oh, I'll check out April Wine!  :)

Edit2: So far I like the 70's songs. Listened to the top tracks playlist on YT, including the tracks you mentioned. After that an 80's Power Rock song, Rock Myself To Sleep, and then back to You Won't Dance With Me :)

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Nezgar said:

Nice find. Heres a few stills:

TPBS2E6-Atari400-1.jpg

TPBS2E6-Atari400-2.jpg

TPBS2E6-Atari400-3.jpg

If you zoom in on the top picture, you can make out a Colecovision in the background on the shelf. But the episode is a flashback to 1979 when they were kids, and the Colecovision didn't come out until, IIRC, 1982.

Edited by Gunstar

Ep description:  The fellas take a shady trip down memory lane back to 1979: the first time they smoked Panama Red — and launched a life of petty crime.

Nice how they included it for a show that flashes back to 1979 since the machines were barely on the shelves in time for Christmas.

I always got a kick out of how the original show and the animated show takes place in Nova Scotia, but it always seems to be summertime. While I can't claim to know the Nova Scotia climate, I'd guess it's pretty cold most of the time, I lived in Wisconsin for years and it was cold about 8 months of the year there.

Edited by Gunstar

Yeah, I'd be surprised if it's anywhere near as cold as Wisconsin.  I've been to both in the winter for work (Halifax and Milwaukee) and my best friend lived in Halifax for a few years while he was stationed the HMCS Iroquois.  Anecdotally on those trips Wisconsin was way colder.  I also seem to remember a plaque somewhere on a beach in Nova Scotia stating that that particular beach was the warmest beach north of the Carolina's due to the way the current comes up from Florida/Bahamas area.  Of course my idea of cold is a little different now living in Edmonton.     

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ivop said:

Brother of an ex got in a relationship with a Canadian woman from Quebec. I guess it's a language thing, but I had to tell her about The Tragically Hip, Trailer Park Boys, and even The Band (!)  She knew about Joni though. Sort of. Didn't ask about Neil.

Edit: oh, I'll check out April Wine!  :)

Edit2: So far I like the 70's songs. Listened to the top tracks playlist on YT, including the tracks you mentioned. After that an 80's Power Rock song, Rock Myself To Sleep, and then back to You Won't Dance With Me :)

The Hip is pretty transcendent but I get not knowing about the TPB (I'd bet dollars to Tim Horton's doughnuts my wife doesn't know about TPB).  Montreal is home to a lot of great acts though and has one of the best Jazz festivals going.

• Like 3