IGNORED

Display/Variable 80 [Text] Editors

I was noticing how all of the editors I tried left artifacts at the end of the file.  I've tried both the stock (40-Col) TI-Writer and it's 80-Col version, BA Writer, and the 40-Col editor from FunnelWeb.  They all leave artifacts, and to top it off, files saved with the 80-Col TI-Writer will not load under the 40-Col version (the system hangs - which could be because I'm running all this on a nanoPEB, but also could be because the file doesn't agree with the editor version, which is what I tend to suspect). 

So the question is, is there an editor out there that doesn't leave these EOF artifacts?  (I had to write a small program to write a small DIS/VAR 80 file I needed without artifacts, but it would not be very efficient for larger DIS/VAR 80 files)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, INVISIBLE said:

Fred Kaal made EDIT40 and EDIT80, excellent program(s).  I use it to edit my 4A/DOS batch files because it doesn't put the stuff at the end.

I guess I'll give that a try after trying atrax27407's suggestion

51 minutes ago, atrax27407 said:

If you use (P)rint (F)ile and print to a disk, the "artifacts" which are the tab settings aren't transmitted. You get only the text.

Sounds simple enough a fix - I'll try that :)

Edited by WhataKowinkydink
accidentally posted before I was finished :(
  • Like 1

DV80 is just a disk storage model. It does not mean it is a text file. 

Printing to disk works, because that storage model doesn't need newline characters, as it is implied that one line exists per record for efficient use of the storage model.

If that editor is a word processor, it's printing feature will interpret and remove or substitute anything not suitable for the target print device ( files or line printer are probably all it knows about ) 

It is best to find and get used to using a programming oriented editor when working with files you want to be just text such as source code. 

All of the editors you listed are word-processors, for creating word processing documents, not text files. They store the word processing codes in the DV80 file as markup, like MS Word, html, groff, wordperfect on modern systems..

Follow suggestion from @INVISIBLE to get a programmers editor, that knows the target is to produce and load clean TEXT documents that are instructions to a computer language like 4A/DOS or an assembler or compiler.

Follow the advice from @atrax27407 from a word-processor to get it to produce a text file from a word-processor document, then work with that file in a programming editor.

TI Word processors use the DV 80 storage format for the document with all its markup.

TI assemblers, compilers, and script languages (like 4A/DOS) use the DV 80 storage format for source code.

• Like 3