IGNORED

What computer/console did you trash while it was still current?

On 6/14/2020 at 6:41 AM, polyex said:

Ashamed to say I tossed an Apple IIe with 2 Disk II drives into the TRASH. I also donated a NeXTStation Color Turbo and monitor in the to Goodwill. This was in the 1990's. I was trying to set an example for my hoarding girlfriend at the time. 

Now that's a pearl-clutching horror story if there ever was one. I am just monumentally happy (in retrospect) that some local nerd picked up my entire collection of A8 games (boxed! Including Ultima IV and Phantasie! And my Infocom games!) and magazines when I set them out by the curb with the trash in 1995 as a stupid, stupid twenty three year-old.

Back in the day I had a small number of AST, Leading Edge, and/or Zenith 286 workstations loaded with XENIX. They remained unused and unopened till 2005'ish when we threw them out. 286 machines at the time were less than worthless meaning you had to pay to get rid of them.

I forgot some stuff. I threw away a boxed copy of The Bilestoad, Sherwood Forest, Star Maze and Lucifer's Realm among other titles with the Apple II. I helped a friend throw a PDP-11/40 processor and random terminals into a dumpster. This does not really count, but I passed on an Apple Lisa in a thrift store 25+ years ago because they wanted $35 and would not take $30.

Xbox360 and PS3. The Xbox RRoD to be fair, and the PS3 I got rid of before it did it's yellow light of death. Didn't have an urge to replace them. They were the first consoles that weren't consoles. You couldn't just put a game in and play it, it required installing and updates. Then when it did it ran at 30fps... Indeed it's still how I view them today along with their replacements. I did eventually get replacements years later, but they're the cut off for me for when console gaming changed. I also bought an Xbox One Slim to play Forza Horizon 4. When it turned out have fruit machine progression I sold that also. I got another later, then replaced that with a One X. The One X I like most of this current generation because of it's backward compatibility and a lot of old games play better on that than they did on the PS3 or 360.

As I say though, I've no love whatsoever for the PS3, PS4 or Xbox360/One. Oddly though I do for the Wii U. I'd never part with that.

On 6/14/2020 at 6:31 PM, Keatah said:

Ha..Indeed! Well you know what happened here. I accumulated tons and tons of shit. Stuff I wasn't really attached to in the slightest. Then when the old ball-n-chain bitched about hoarding, I "reluctantly" and with "great difficulty" got rid of it a little at a time.

And now after all the pomp and circumstance of throwing away tons of stuff  (twonahaff garages worth) I'm left with what I really want to keep, what I intended to keep all along..

My situation is slightly different in that I literally don't have the space to hoard things. That forces me to rotate hardware to what I really want to keep. I talk about it here (along with pics of a VERY small room): http://80.229.1.38/geekery/videowafflage11.html

Edited by juansolo
  • Like 1