IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 12 - Game 14 - Beamrider

1 hour ago, IntyFanMatt said:

I like your analysis with the graph, lol.  But quite simply, my answer is that I have a hard time dodging everything that is coming at me beginning in Sector 12.  I like this game, but can't make it much farther than that.  I will be lucky to get to Sector 15 or 16, but will try again sometime.

Again, for what is worth...

I noticed the game requires good peripheral vision at advanced levels, and that making the screen smaller (or keeping a good distance from it) tends to help. 

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, cmadruga said:

Again, for what is worth...

I noticed the game requires good peripheral vision at advanced levels, and that making the screen smaller (or keeping a good distance from it) tends to help. 

Appreciate that. I am good at lots of Intellivision games but for some reason this one gets me somewhere between sector 12 - 15.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2020 at 9:24 PM, cmadruga said:

This game is a masterpiece, definitely a must buy. Can't find a single thing I dislike about it.

It's like some guys sat in a conference room and brainstormed all the possible ways to make a game cool.

Yes, Beamrider is a great tube shooter.

The only negative is that in the Colecovision port there is one additional enemy, the magnetic mines.

1 hour ago, Mangia-Boy said:

The only negative is that in the Colecovision port there is one additional enemy, the magnetic mines.

Are those the "X" shaped enemies? Seem like a more "insistent" version of Orange Trackers.

2 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

If someone can bid and win these two copies of the game, then maybe one could be shared amongst the players here for a price.  It’s still cheap...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beamrider-intellivision-new-and-sealed-video-game-games-Two-copies-new/153950037818?hash=item23d823273a:g:MqEAAOSwEm1ez0B7

I wish that guy would just do one at a time.

1 hour ago, Intelligentleman said:

I wish that guy would just do one at a time.

I really don't understand the thinking behind selling both together! Surely he'd get more selling each one separately? I guess he just wants to get rid of them.  

• Confused 1

image.png.07ffcede2be2f54db6eac3219dc8378e.png

One thing I've been considering is what drives some of the enemy (white ships) behavior.

In particular, I noticed those will sometimes try to ram into you, versus dropping bombs and retreating as usual.

For years I wondered: what drives that logic?

Recently it dawned on me that such decision could have a technical reason behind it. Maybe it's kind of a workaround?

Certainly not dropping bombs helps the game save 1 sprite on screen. Assuming bombs are really sprites, I mean. I think they are.

So maybe the ships will start ramming when the number of moving objects on screen reaches a limit?

It wouldn't happen EXCLUSIVELY when that limitation is reached. But reaching it would trigger ramming mode for a while.

This is just a theory, as I haven't been able to take snapshots and count things.

Anyway, it's something to think about. I wonder if other ports of the game do the same.

Edited by cmadruga
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Dude, you are the Beamrider Master.  I didn't know scores like this were possible on this game.  Just absolutely amazing!  My jaw is dragging on the floor in disbelief.

Thanks!

Congrats on Carnival by the way! I'm just trying to keep up here! ;-)

Damn, but I suck above sector 13.  Had 13 ships built up starting 14.  Barely limped my way to 18... Lol

Frustrating: shooting your extra ship

Awesome: your shot stops just before hitting your extra ship

Primal scream-inducing: shooting your extra ship then getting killed by the wreckage

20200602_171002.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/29/2020 at 10:29 AM, Mangia-Boy said:

I think those exist in this version, but are called 'Red Zig Bombs'?  Whatever they're called, they are the bane of my existence in this game. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

Damn, but I suck above sector 13.  Had 13 ships built up starting 14.  Barely limped my way to 18... Lol

Frustrating: shooting your extra ship

Awesome: your shot stops just before hitting your extra ship

Primal scream-inducing: shooting your extra ship then getting killed by the wreckage

20200602_171002.jpg

Strong score though!  Definitely better than me.  But I'm gunna ride some more beams this week and see if I can improve a tiny bit.