IGNORED

Idea: New Retro Computing/Gaming LCD TV

This product, if it were to be manufactured, is not for the C64 only, but I do not want to post on every retro forum in existance so I chose this and Lemon 64. And we will see were it goes, if it goes anywhere... ;-)

It is just an idea and the specs/features below are just from the top of my head to start a discussion.
Hopefully it is an interesting idea to not just me.

So, in short, personaly I would like to see a retro dedicated modern LCD TV/Monitor that matches retro systems in design and color. In this case I have chosen "commodore Grey/beige" inspired by the 1084S. I am also thinking that beige will match a lot of older systems.

Anyways, please have a look at this and comment.

15 khz monitor lcd tv retro gaming commodore 1084S.png

new 15khz lcd TV commodore 1084S 1084X c64C amiga 500 (3).jpg

The biggest obstacle is going to be an OTS component to handle the 240p.  All the cheap and widely available stuff treats it like an interlaced signal and will only sync luma.  Most the ones I have come across, both fabricated and custom, still induce some level of artifacting, smoothing, or motion tearing.

Otherwise, I rather like the idea of a targeted product like this.  I expect it will be niche and likely cost more than a regular old 15" LCD.

I think another issue is going to be the wide variety of video output quality between devices.  A good bit of this shows up on CRT but not as vividly as on LCD.  With RF, well, you get what you get.  But for composite or S-Video it would likely be best partnered with an internal video modification appropriate for the console or computer (UAV, LumaFix, etc.)  The monitor would also have to deal with the various display capabilities and, say, "modes" of various sources.  For instance, the overscan and interlaced modes of the Amiga, or whether to show all 32 columns or just the "standard" 28 viewable on a CRT from the 9918A.  As well, for systems which can switch modes on the fly, very fast adjustment would be excellent -- perhaps memorized display parameters based upon the incoming signal.

For the TI-99/4A and other TMS-9918A or 9919A based products, the F18A has been nothing short of a miracle.  True, beautiful SVGA output generated and not converted.  The only product I know which comes close to that is the Indivision for Amiga.  The Gonbes devices would be close in a more generic setting, not application-specific, but I also have heard many horror stories about certain versions falking out.

A truly ambitious idea, both in engineering and aesthetics.  While I have reservations such a product would make it to fruition, I would probably back one.