IGNORED

HSC17 Round 10: THE GOONIES + TAPPER

THE GOONIES and TAPPER

While the kids go for an underground adventure the adullts go down the pub... they'll be fin ! Yes, another strange HSC round is upon us!!

The Goonies

the_goonies.png.019e1a7eb9b2d6da87e0b006c283094a.png

A decent platform game, tricky in places, but also very rewarding, atmospheric and it is beatable. You hold down fire to toggle between two moveable characters on some screens; often needing to position them first and quickly switch and then leggit!

I'd recommend working out each screen as you go. If you get stuck ask for a hint or two. There are not many screens so they are designed to take a bunch of goes to get past them. As you figure each one out you will be pleased. Play with the default 5 lives [space=Pause]

Scoring Full HSC points

Download Fandal ATR Info Atarimania Instructions (on US Gold ver)

Tapper

Fire slides the beers, push up/down to change bars. L/R to walk to get glasses or collect tips.

Scoring 1pt per level completed plus 1pt for each soda can round completed safely.

Download Fandal XEX

tapper.png.8d9edf98491ecf0592e3696672fd7734.png

Rounds ends Sunday 7th June 10am UK time, bit shorter than usual but Tapper only takes a few minutes to play.

• Like 1

Tapper: round 5 completed, 2 soda can rounds completed, can't remember seeing level 6 with the alternating left/right taps before

Goonies 1400 (level 1 completed, wow, that takes a very well timed dash to get past Ma Fratelli).

• Like 3

Goonies: 109,020

20200527_014707.thumb.jpg.797a1c4681e9561e84bfc5a6bdc14c91.jpg

Tapper: 128,050

20200527_020856.thumb.jpg.2a18477f635732002c1c8174186d4eae.jpg

I love both of these. I had the Goonies as a child (begged my parents for it as a birthday gift) and felt such a sense of accomplishment when I finally figured out how to beat all 8 screens. (And I still play it about once a year, just for the feels.) The music is great, the graphics are great, the puzzles are great... just an all around fantastic title. I did four complete loops to get that score, and then I gave up because I still had lives left and had to get to bed. ? There were a few close calls when I was down to one life. Building a ladder with the skulls seems to be the most difficult screen due to the randomness of where the skulls are dropped. But you get three more lives each time you hit that screen, so...

With Tapper, are we starting on beginner difficulty? I only got to round 8 and successfully completed two can screens.

Edited by graywest
background information :-)
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, graywest said:

I love both of these. I had the Goonies as a child (begged my parents for it as a birthday gift) and felt such a sense of accomplishment when I finally figured out how to beat all 8 screens. (And I still play it about once a year, just for the feels.) The music is great, the graphics are great, the puzzles are great... just an all around fantastic title. I did four complete loops to get that score, and then I gave up because I still had lives left and had to get to bed. ? There were a few close calls when I was down to one life. Building a ladder with the skulls seems to be the most difficult screen due to the randomness of where the skulls are dropped. But you get three more lives each time you hit that screen, so...

With Tapper, are we starting on beginner difficulty? I only got to round 8 and successfully completed two can screens.

Yes Tapper play from the Start aka Beginner.

The Goonies - You can dispose of skulls in the water instead of taking them all the way across!

• Like 1

^^ If you look closely at trbb's first post, your actual score on Tapper doesn't count in this round of the HSC, only reporting the highest level reached and how many bonus rounds you successfully went through. Though I'll admit it would feel strange not to post the actual score even if it doesn't matter for standings.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, carlsson said:

^^ If you look closely at trbb's first post, your actual score on Tapper doesn't count in this round of the HSC, only reporting the highest level reached and how many bonus rounds you successfully went through. Though I'll admit it would feel strange not to post the actual score even if it doesn't matter for standings.

I did have to look closely, thanks!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Yes Tapper play from the Start aka Beginner.

The Gooneies - You can dispose of skulls in the water instead of taking them all the way across!

Good point - I usually use skulls dropped in the upper right or lower right rooms to build the ladder. If it lands in the lower left, it's easy to dispose of. If the skull goes into the upper left, that's the most problematic for me. You can push it left into a hole, go through the caves, push it right onto the platform, and then go back to the top to get rid of it. Problem is, it takes quite a while to get there and accomplish all of that, and by that time it often "hatches" if I haven't gotten to it right away.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 7:13 AM, graywest said:

20200527_014707.thumb.jpg.797a1c4681e9561e84bfc5a6bdc14c91.jpg

Does the difficulty ramp up after you finish the game, or is it the same difficulty afterward?

Goonies 7,105 now I need to remember how to do the octopus screen, while trying to jump on the floating box I forgot to keep an eye on my good friend and he fell down the hole onto a spike... my bad :-D

That music is haunting me... must remember to play Tapper afterwards each time to reset to happy mode !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Nice, and much cheerier

I haven't checked out the A8 version of The Goonies yet (too much other stuff going on) but I see that the C64 disk version of The Goonies contains Cyndi Lauper's song in no less than 3 versions. Doesn't the A8 version cover it as well somewhere?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, devwebcl said:

oh ok, they were 2. (I missed one).

I've forgotten how awful is level 10.

Yes I can get to it every go but then usually get nowhere usually as I can't easily see who is driking etc

So another r10 = 9 rounds complete +3 sodas = score of 12

Goonies also hit the wall (of water) 7,105 exactly same place, I know I've beaten this before so plenty of time, accidentally jumped onto the octopus this time!!

first tables!

THE GOONIES

1st   graywest                 109,020  13pts*
  2nd   therealbountybob           7,105  11pts
  3rd   Caco                              1,700  10pts
  4th   slx                                  1,400  9pts

*includes 1pt bonus for first person to complete the game

TAPPER

Rounds completed+Sodas safely opened. Scoring may change. Can anyone beat round 10?!!!

1st   therealbountybob         12     5pts
  1st   McKong                         12     5pts

3rd   devwebcl                         11     4pts
  4th   Deteacher                         9     3pts
  4th   graywest                          9     3pts
  6th   slx                                    7     2pts
  6th   roadrunner                       7     2pts
  8th   Caco                                6     1pt