IGNORED

Lochjaw vs Shark Attack Differences

Stan

Hi, everyone, been awhile. Kid's been growing up so been busy with that! I have a simple question here. So I came across a Lochjaw cart and the guy who has it is legit, got it from a simple sale a few years ago and didn't even know he had it until he started to go through some stuff in storage to sell. I had him pic the cart, which looks legit, and then show me video footage of it playing. From what I know the main difference is the trees in Lochjaw move in the breeze and they do NOT in Shark Attack, as well as the boat being a different distance. In the version he showed me the trees do not appear to move at all but the CLOUD above them does. Can anyone verify sufficiently the graphical differences in both these games? I can't find enough information around to know for sure. Thanks!

16 hours ago, Omegamatrix said:

I believe one of them had the sharks with frickin' lazer beams attached to their heads...

Goddamn it bro lol. I need some FACTS here not jokes!

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Okay, so I haven't posted in ages, but was browsing around and saw Stan and had to post.  I have nothing for an answer to the question, just wanted to say hey to a familiar name :P  Hopefully someone can let you know if there's any other difference than the laser sharks :P

So far looks like a mystery I have to solve myself.

20 minutes ago, s0c7 said:

If the cloud itself moves across the screen, then it may be a unknown version.  I only own Shark Attack, but the roms for both are available on AA.  The cloud is in a different place in each, but appears static.imageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c68

lj.thumb.png.afa7721051ae8a38208c58bff93d10fe.pngsa.thumb.png.b850db7d004dc102b30d808ba5df0ade.png

I've definitely seen this and also checked out videos online of both games. The moving trees were consistent in Lochjaw, no such thing in Shark Attack, but there are NO videos of a moving cloud. This might indeed be some unknown version.

2 hours ago, Stan said:

I've definitely seen this and also checked out videos online of both games. The moving trees were consistent in Lochjaw, no such thing in Shark Attack, but there are NO videos of a moving cloud. This might indeed be some unknown version.

I didn’t take a video of it but the 3 pics in a row are Lochjaw the one below the 2 cartridges is shark attack , you can see in the 3 of Lochjaw the clouds in a different place as it’s moving and it eventually was covering up the sun.

• Like 1

The main question now is are there 2 different versions of Lochjaw which apparently there are. I honestly never paid attention until I saw this post I always assumed the palm trees swayed on mine like all the videos I’ve seen over time of Lochjaw being played. It would be nice if everybody here that owns an original Lochjaw cartridge would check theirs and reply as to which version they have. But we do now know there are at least 2 with a moving cloud.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, duckodb said:

I have both games and in my shark attack the cloud is in the right and nothing moves. In my Lochjaw the cloud starts out on the left and moves to the right as you can see in the 3 pictures but the trees don’t move at all.

53C8582A-5F1E-4E02-B825-F6A69020708A.jpeg

02EF6F93-CB81-4A5C-82FD-AFFCA501F6A4.jpeg

46F75100-2679-44E0-8461-8706F9E1C6F9.jpeg

139E3B4B-010A-4690-AF5C-27BC19CBAD4B.jpeg

8DDD1A04-FF1C-4D05-8E5E-EDFC8E2A1A10.jpeg

Awesome so there are clearly two versions of it.

8 hours ago, duckodb said:

The main question now is are there 2 different versions of Lochjaw which apparently there are. I honestly never paid attention until I saw this post I always assumed the palm trees swayed on mine like all the videos I’ve seen over time of Lochjaw being played. It would be nice if everybody here that owns an original Lochjaw cartridge would check theirs and reply as to which version they have. But we do now know there are at least 2 with a moving cloud.

I was thinking about this today and my guess would maybe be this. As I seem to remember learning, one of the problems with Shark Attack as Lochjaw was the gameplay was slightly skewed due to the moving trees, so all the upper graphics were made static. I would assume that the moving cloud may have been an attempt to fix the tree issue and still leave something moving BUT it was likely done before Shark Attack and AFTER the moving tree version of Lochjaw. This would suggest it was right before the change and possibly one last effort to get the graphics to work better before the name change. I do agree Lochjaw owners need to SPEAK UP lol. I'd like to see how many have moving clouds. I would guess the cloud version is probably a little more difficult to find.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

I was thinking about this today and my guess would maybe be this. As I seem to remember learning, one of the problems with Shark Attack as Lochjaw was the gameplay was slightly skewed due to the moving trees, so all the upper graphics were made static. I would assume that the moving cloud may have been an attempt to fix the tree issue and still leave something moving BUT it was likely done before Shark Attack and AFTER the moving tree version of Lochjaw. This would suggest it was right before the change and possibly one last effort to get the graphics to work better before the name change. I do agree Lochjaw owners need to SPEAK UP lol. I'd like to see how many have moving clouds. I would guess the cloud version is probably a little more difficult to find.

I'd really like to know more about why Lochjaw was changed (codewise I mean).  Why did the moving graphics mess with the gameplay?  Also, how many runs of Lochjaw were there?  It's not like you can get a new ROM made and distributed within a few weeks and Lochjaw wasn't on the market long from what I understand.  Maybe the original run had already been made when they discovered the bug and they decided to release those ROMs anyway so as not to lose a fortune while they prepared a new version even before the game came out?

• Like 1

I have no clue how you’d find any of that out but my question is does this warrant the rarity guide being updated to have 2 versions with different rarities like with Halloween and it’s label and no label versions. With Halloween it’s just a label with Lochjaw the actual on screen game looks different.

19 minutes ago, Rom Hunter said:

Interesting.

No idea why they changed this.

Perhaps the 'moving cloud' Lochjaw can be dumped and then we know more.

8) 

I don’t know how to do that. I can hook the Atari up and make a video I guess if I can upload that on here.

Well the video doesn’t appear to be working I’ll try putting it on YouTube and putting a link here but I just let the game run and eventually the cloud goes all the way off the right side of the screen and comes back in on the left and just keeps on moving. It’s the same on all 16 variations cloud always moves trees never do.

90D0F5A6-DD2D-4120-AC89-D230A16B1EC2.jpeg

Edited by duckodb

8 hours ago, duckodb said:

I have no clue how you’d find any of that out but my question is does this warrant the rarity guide being updated to have 2 versions with different rarities like with Halloween and it’s label and no label versions. With Halloween it’s just a label with Lochjaw the actual on screen game looks different.

I'd say yes on that. This is a minor, but far more significant detail than simply a label variant. This is built into the game itself. There may even be other differences if I pay attention in detail.

5 hours ago, Rom Hunter said:

Interesting.

No idea why they changed this.

Perhaps the 'moving cloud' Lochjaw can be dumped and then we know more.

8) 

Lol thus the name was born.