IGNORED

AtariAge Discord Server Now Available!

Albert

We've setup an AtariAge Discord server, which has been a common request for the last year or so.  To join the server, you will need to use the following link, or click on the Discord widget that's sitting on the front page of the forum.

https://atariage.com/forums/discord/invite/Members/

If you already have a Discord account, you'll be able to link your forum and Discord accounts.  Upon joining the Discord server, your username and avatar from the forum will be carried over.  We have created several text channels to loosely mirror some of the forums here. 

Please take a moment to read the rules once you join the server.  We will not hesitate to ban people from Discord who are not following the rules. 

If you have any questions or you have any problems accessing the AtariAge Discord, please post them here.

Enjoy!

..Al

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Random Terrain said:

When I click register, it wants an e-mail address, username, and password. Are we supposed to use the same as what we use at AtariAge?

Discord is completely separate from AtariAge.  You will need to create an account on Discord if you want to use it.  The synchronization between AtariAge and Discord will carry over your username and avatar once you link your AtariAge account to your Discord account.

..Al

• Like 1

I got a different issue, I clicked on the link and I was part of the group. But when I fired up my Discord software, the group was nowhere to be found. The best I can figure out is I need an invite link to the actual group on Discord. To clear things up to me Discord is a separate login.

8 minutes ago, Classic Pac said:

I got a different issue, I clicked on the link and I was part of the group. But when I fired up my Discord software, the group was nowhere to be found. The best I can figure out is I need an invite link to the actual group on Discord. To clear things up to me Discord is a separate login.

The invite should work, it's especially odd that you were in the group and now you cannot see it.  Discord will always be a separate login from the forum, but if you were already logged into Discord it will generally pick that up and just link your accounts.  Otherwise it'll prompt you to login first or create a new Discord account.  I'll create and send you an invite privately and we can see if that works.

..Al

On 5/28/2020 at 11:30 AM, Albert said:

The invite should work, it's especially odd that you were in the group and now you cannot see it.  Discord will always be a separate login from the forum, but if you were already logged into Discord it will generally pick that up and just link your accounts.  Otherwise it'll prompt you to login first or create a new Discord account.  I'll create and send you an invite privately and we can see if that works.

..Al

I've seen that happen in the past when cookies from multiple discord accounts get tangled up. Clearing the cache and\or deleting cookies should clean that up.

On 5/26/2020 at 9:02 PM, Albert said:

If you already have a Discord account, you'll be able to link your forum and Discord accounts.  Upon joining the Discord server, your username and avatar from the forum will be carried over. 

I linked my accounts, but my avatar has not carried over. 

Please disregard. I manually uploaded my Avatar in Discord.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sramirez2008 said:

I’m just getting into it myself. I guess it’s meant for real-time chatting via text, video or VoIP. 

Yes, that's exactly what it is, real-time chat.  It'll mostly be just text, although Discord does support audio chat and more recently I think, video chat.  I'm fine with just text, I don't need to audio or video chat over Discord. It's basically an evolution of IRC, which was pretty primitive compared to modern chat apps like Discord.

..Al

• Like 1

I miss IRC.

There were times the lag between IRC servers would get so bad, you'd end up with groups of people several minutes out-of-sync with each other. It made for some pretty funny exchanges as completely random answers from the past would drift into the middle of a current conversation.

• Like 2

I joined today. My cup avatar isn't shown on discord. Do i need to do something like add a connection?

I don't see a place in discord to upload a new avatar image.

Update - I found out how to change avatar. Also, animated avatars don't work on discord unless you pay. Fyi all! 

Ps:  discord is weird!

• Like 1

Not meaning to complain, but just gotta be honest...

Am I the only one who misses the chat feature that AtariAge used to have?  I mean I like to discuss video games as much as the next guy, but there's so many specialized areas in Discord...It feels like all the standard and fascinating random conversation gets lost.  I mean a discussion of one topic would seem better served as a topic on AA...Chat always seemed more like,  well a place for AtariAge fans to chat (about anything)...

Anyway, the Discord feature is nice...I just prefered the old chat for some reason.

PS I wasn't online in the early days,  Was the old chat IRC or something else?

Edited by GoldLeader
Edit: Thought I better ask a dumb question LOL...
  • Like 1

The chat we used to have was made by Invision as a paid module for the forum.  While it was integrated into the forum, it was extremely poor in features compared to Discord.  You could only have a single chat room, you couldn't upload images or other media, there was limited chat history, permissions were very weak, and it could only be used if you were already a member of the forum.

I don't see Discord taking away much from discussion here.  Yes,  people will casually talk about topics that are already discussed in the forum, but if you want to have a more meaningful, long-term discussion, the forum is much more suited to that.  Given that Discord is open to anyone, it's also another tool to help promote AtariAge and bring new members to the site (including the forum).  Also a good way to introduce more people to homebrew games who might not otherwise have seen them.

There is a feature that lets me display content from the forum in Discord (in a read-only "stream" of posts from the forum), which I've already played around with but haven't turned on just yet as I'm waiting for something to be changed. That will further help tie Discord and the forum together.

..Al

• Like 3

Good idea trying to link Discord with the forum, so it doesn't become yet another autonomous AtariAge community. I sometimes feel like the Facebook group and the forum live separate lives with different sets of users and different types of discussions. Some people on Facebook don't even seem to know that the standalone forum exists, or at least don't seem to visit it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...