Jump to content
djrodderz

Cybernome Atari Cassette

Recommended Posts

On 5/29/2020 at 10:23 PM, djrodderz said:

I’ve probably got a few Commodore 64 tapes of interest that may be worth backing up too if anyone knows a similar website that would be interested.

I don't know these Commodore projects myself (I am a stubborn Atarian ;-) ) but I found these two: https://www.c64.com/ and https://c64preservation.com/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hey @Allan,

 

Welcome to the world of tape dumping ;-) 

 

The files are reasonable, but sadly not good enough....

 

1- The data track is on the left track, it must be on the right track. This is weird, because the Ion tape express is USB.... But you can swap the tracks in Audacity, so that is not a big problem.

 

2- Both dumps seem to have some static noise (popping/crackling sounds). Did you buy the Ion Tape express new, or did you buy a second hand one? When it is second hand, I think you should clean the tape head. You can do that by using alcohol and a cotton swab to clean the head. When it is brand new, you can also try to clean the head, you cannot damage it by cleaning the head.

 

3- On both recordings the sound is muffled in various parts. This can also be a result of a dirty play head. You can also try to align the head. You can do that by plugging in headphones, put a (preferred music) tape in the Ion and don't close it. Press play and use a small philips screwdriver to adjust the small screw on the left of the play head. Adjust the screw until you hear the best and clear sound you can get.

 

Problems 2 and 3 can also be caused by bad tapes, so it is also possible that those 2 are (sadly) too bad to dump.

 

I hope these steps are clear ;-) If you need more help, please let me know.

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fred_M said:

Hey @Allan,

 

Welcome to the world of tape dumping ;-) 

 

The files are reasonable, but sadly not good enough....

 

1- The data track is on the left track, it must be on the right track. This is weird, because the Ion tape express is USB.... But you can swap the tracks in Audacity, so that is not a big problem.

 

2- Both dumps seem to have some static noise (popping/crackling sounds). Did you buy the Ion Tape express new, or did you buy a second hand one? When it is second hand, I think you should clean the tape head. You can do that by using alcohol and a cotton swab to clean the head. When it is brand new, you can also try to clean the head, you cannot damage it by cleaning the head.

 

3- On both recordings the sound is muffled in various parts. This can also be a result of a dirty play head. You can also try to align the head. You can do that by plugging in headphones, put a (preferred music) tape in the Ion and don't close it. Press play and use a small philips screwdriver to adjust the small screw on the left of the play head. Adjust the screw until you hear the best and clear sound you can get.

 

Problems 2 and 3 can also be caused by bad tapes, so it is also possible that those 2 are (sadly) too bad to dump.

 

I hope these steps are clear ;-) If you need more help, please let me know.

1. Weird. I will figure out how to switch them.

 

2. It's brand new.

 

3. I know I have some never used tapes. I will try one of those and see what happens. I can try it on another computer just in case for some reason that's where the noise is coming from.

 

Thanks for the help.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

old tapes sometimes need a rap on a desk and hand winding front to back and a couple of runs through the tape deck to finally get a good capture...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Allan said:

here is one from a never used cassette. I figured out how to switch the tracks as well.

The tracks are swapped perfectly, the sound is not muffled, but.... the crackling/popping sounds are still there and prevents a8cas to convert the data.

 

Please try to clean the head anyway. When the crackling/popping sounds stay present, I would suggest to return it..... 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

old tapes sometimes need a rap on a desk and hand winding front to back and a couple of runs through the tape deck to finally get a good capture...

True, but not in this specific case.... the crackling/popping sounds are generated by the device itself sadly....

Edited by Fred_M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a hunch and trying to make sure it's not my Imac that is the problem, I made this one on my son's PC. I don't hear the crackaling but let me know what you think Fred_M.

 

 

Concentration_Edufun..flac.zip

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Allan said:

On a hunch and trying to make sure it's not my Imac that is the problem, I made this one on my son's PC. I don't hear the crackaling but let me know what you think Fred_M.

Success!!! @Allan!

 

This dump works 🙂 The volume is a bit lower than your previous dumps, but no crackling/popping sounds! Weird that there is a difference when you use a Imac... I am using the Ion on a PC too (laptop), so I have no experience with a Mac.

 

Here is the cas-file of your dump ;-)  (Boot in Altirra with Basic)

Concentration_edufun_allan.cas

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

Weird that there is a difference when you use a Imac...

 

For nearly 40 years I now managed to avoid using fruit for anything else but food. 😎

Edited by DjayBee
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DjayBee said:

 

For nearly 40 years I now managed to avoid using fruit for anything else but food. 😎

Hey. Don't diss the Apple IIGS. It was a great computer. :) I wish I hadn't sold mine. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fred_M said:

Success!!! @Allan!

 

This dump works 🙂 The volume is a bit lower than your previous dumps, but no crackling/popping sounds! Weird that there is a difference when you use a Imac... I am using the Ion on a PC too (laptop), so I have no experience with a Mac.

 

Here is the cas-file of your dump ;-)  (Boot in Altirra with Basic)

Concentration_edufun_allan.cas 10.78 kB · 1 download

Cool. All along it was my Imac. This is a cheap Imac Apple built (post Steve Jobs) that doesn't even allow you to expand beyond 16 Gig. I'm waiting for a U.S. company to buy back the Atari name and make a modern computer. :)

 

I will boost the volume on the next one and make some more from the PC. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I uploaded the other side of the Edufun Flac file on Preservation forum with the volume turned a bit (hopefully enough and not too much). Just until I get the kinks out (is that possible with making .CAS images? :) ) I will upload them here for now. Eventually I will start uploading them there so I don't start clogging up Atariage with big files.

Battling_bugs_Concentration_side_2_Edufun..flac.zip

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Allan said:

I will upload them here for now. Eventually I will start uploading them there so I don't start clogging up Atariage with big files.

Great plan! I have left the Preservation Project, but the people there can create good clean cas-files, much better than mine. I still contribute, but to all preservation projects out there. 

 

I am happy that I was able to help you 🙂 

 

The Text1 dump is great too! The volume does not look higher, but it is loud enough. No worries ;-)

 

Battling Bugs is a bit louder and is also a great dump!

 

Text1: Boot in Altirra without basic.

Battling Bugs: Boot in Altirra with basic

 

AText_allan.cas

Battling_Bugs_allan.cas

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, DjayBee said:

For nearly 40 years I now managed to avoid using fruit for anything else but food. 😎

Me too 😆

 

But it is still weird that this device connected to an apple generates crackling sounds and makes parts of the dump muffled. The same tapes dumped on a PC generates a nice clear sound without any distortion. And ehm @Allan Apple stuff is made in China too ;-) 

Edited by Fred_M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

Me too 😆

 

But it is still weird that this device connected to an apple generates crackling sounds and makes parts of the dump muffled. The same tapes dumped on a PC generates a nice clear sound without any distortion. And ehm @Allan Apple stuff is made in China too ;-) 

Oh believe me, I know. I do prefer using OS X over Windows but to me it's the lesser of two evils. I suppose at this point it's just what your use to. Hopefully some day stuff will be made at home as well. As far as Windows, I do much prefer my Windows XP emulator over my son's Windows 10 computer even though the Windows 10 computer is obviously much faster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Allan said:

Hey. Don't diss the Apple IIGS. It was a great computer. :) I wish I hadn't sold mine. :(

You're right, but the IIGS was already dissed by Steve Jobs himself when he pushed the Mac. 

 

My not liking of Apple is less because of technology, but mostly because of the company's attitude. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...