IGNORED

I need a new users guide to MDOS and the last 35 years

jedimatt42

On 6/1/2020 at 8:28 AM, InsaneMultitasker said:

With thanks and appreciation to @jedimatt42, attached is a slightly modified version of MDOS / Geneve OS 6.50. 

The only OS change is that the default DSKx mappings (via REMAP) have been modified and a new CRC applied. 

DSK6. and DSK7. are now configured as "16-bit" ramdisks.   I also quickly tweaked some documentation, replaced CRACK128 with CRCOS, added FORM v1.23, modified the CYA title screen, and removed the (old) version of DU2K. 

GeneveOpSys650-redistributionpermitted2020.dsk 360 kB · 10 downloads

If someone could please add this image to WHT that would be appreciated.  The prior release may be archived or deleted, IMHO.  

DISK (1440 in size DS/DD) is working (int the PEB box is HRD3000+Rambo,

TI RS232, Geneve9640 v1. non-genmod, Corcomp Disk Controller DS/DD)

but

my HRD3000+Rambo is at CRU >1500 currently and no success so far with FORM123

it does not see DIR DISK8.  (and not sure if I need to do the Disk Utilities FDR change)

(also need to check if the HRD can be changed to CRU >1400).

Furthermore I have added GPL, GPM, GPN, GPO and AUTEXEC with TIMODE to the disk,

to load the GPL and TI-99/4A, that works fine, but cannot access DSK8.

27 minutes ago, globeron said:

it does not see DIR DISK8.  (and not sure if I need to do the Disk Utilities FDR change)

I didn't see CRU >1500 in Matt's instructions. Use CRU >1400 and DSK6 to access it.   Do not set the card to >1500.  Drive numbers are tied to specific CRU addresses unless you use the OS to remap to a different drive number. 

• Like 3

On 6/3/2020 at 2:30 AM, jedimatt42 said:

Yep, my page actually says near the top under limitations that you need use >1400... 

I found the dip-switches (Set SW5 to ON only and it is on CRU >1400 now)

and YES!!! it is working now.  Slowly I get my TI + Geneve systems setup how I want it.

this is great. Hope the HRD works better with Geneve than I use with my TI.

Thanks very much for these instructions!

PS. In the manual below about HRD3000/Rambo

they refer to  LHDROS,  HDROS, CFG and RAMDOS needed ?

(I need to locate them somewhere, probably on the disk)

2041022758_SCF4002020_06_0406_29.thumb.jpg.53aa58dc8a15a4271d30f7d73f35e1fe.jpghorizon 3000 ramdisk construction guide.pdf

Edited by globeron
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, globeron said:

PS. In the manual below about HRD3000/Rambo

they refer to  LHDROS,  HDROS, CFG and RAMDOS needed ?

(I need to locate them somewhere, probably on the disk)

Good call-out and question.  MDOS contains all the necessary routines to use the ramdisk once it has been formatted.  LHDROS, HDROS, CFG, and RAMDOS are all old support programs that are no longer relevant.  Do not use these programs.   :)  

@Ksarul, we need to remove references to any of the old Geneve setup/programs from the HRD4000B construction manual, if that has not already been completed.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, globeron said:

(I have not tested it) but if new 3x NiCD batteries are fully charged. How long can I leave the PEB box unpowered? (A few hours, 1 day, 1 week, longer) to avoid that I loose the whole boot setup config for Geneve on the HRD?

I've left mine off for weeks at a time and it holds the memory, but you can generally keep them that way for a few months. There is probably more drain from self-discharge than from current use by the HRD.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Good call-out and question.  MDOS contains all the necessary routines to use the ramdisk once it has been formatted.  LHDROS, HDROS, CFG, and RAMDOS are all old support programs that are no longer relevant.  Do not use these programs.   :)  

@Ksarul, we need to remove references to any of the old Geneve setup/programs from the HRD4000B construction manual, if that has not already been completed.

I think I've already removed all references to these software bits, but I will do another scrub to be sure. I checked the current manual. We made sure that the references to LHDROS, HDROS, CFG, and RAMDOS are identified as only useful for those still using really old versions of MDOS (1.23 or earlier). If you are using anything newer than that, they are to be avoided.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ksarul said:

I've left mine off for weeks at a time and it holds the memory, but you can generally keep them that way for a few months. There is probably more drain from self-discharge than from current use by the HRD.

Okay that sounds promising, will test it! 

How long does it take to charge batteries via the PEB, same as a charger? Depends on he Amp? (i do not want to take out the batteries when the HRD is in operation, to keep data, but do faster harging batteries with an external charger).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/5/2020 at 5:08 PM, globeron said:

Okay that sounds promising, will test it! 

How long does it take to charge batteries via the PEB, same as a charger? Depends on he Amp? (i do not want to take out the batteries when the HRD is in operation, to keep data, but do faster harging batteries with an external charger).

This seems all to work fine for the last weeks, with having it being turned-off for a week, until now it nicely starts-up each time of the HRD

On 6/3/2020 at 1:26 AM, globeron said:

DISK (1440 in size DS/DD) is working (int the PEB box is HRD3000+Rambo,

TI RS232, Geneve9640 v1. non-genmod, Corcomp Disk Controller DS/DD)

but

Furthermore I have added GPL, GPM, GPN, GPO and AUTEXEC with TIMODE to the disk,

to load the GPL and TI-99/4A, that works fine, but cannot access DSK8.

@arcadeshopper  @InsaneMultitasker @jedimatt42

Maybe the other MDOS disk can be updated to include the GPL files?

This MDOS 6.50 disk (1440. DS/DD) has the GPL, GPM, GPN, GPO files added, so that from MDOS you can go to the TIMODE 

(enter GPL from the MDOS prompt) and in GPL mode use DSK8. to load files of the HorizonRamdisk

AUTOEXEC2  need to be installed on the HorizonRamdisk and be renamed to AUTOEXEC

GeneveMDOS.dsk

PS. you will get a command error in MDOS as I try to use "CAPS ON" by default

in the AUTOEXEC to start with uppercase characters (did not get it to work yet)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 5/28/2020 at 6:39 AM, InsaneMultitasker said:

FORM123   ramdisk formatter v1.23.  This version pre-dates FORM3MEG.

Is FORM123 newer or older than FORM3MEG ? GoogleTrans tells me that "pre-dated" means forward and backward... same time...

(btw, if it only would tell "forward", that also would not help me to understand it)

On 5/28/2020 at 2:58 PM, BeeryMiller said:

Matt,

Likely, you have found it already, but if you haven't, check out 9640news.ddns.net:8080 .  I have on my website, the updated files for the GenProg package that details all the embedded operating system calls for programming under MDOS.  I know of no better reference.

Beery

Hi, is the BBS still available ? I try to get that package but it tells me:

grafik.png.23c89dd66b23e17f45ddf5641761ccc2.png

and I tried port 8080 and 9640. Maybe the-DNS name has changed ?

Or can I download it somewhere here on AtariAge ?

10 hours ago, Schmitzi said:

Is FORM123 newer or older than FORM3MEG ? GoogleTrans tells me that "pre-dated" means forward and backward... same time...

(btw, if it only would tell "forward", that also would not help me to understand it)

yes, they really seem to differ....  ?  ?️‍♀️

So which is the newer one or to use with which HRD ?

FORM123--FORM3MEG-DIFFERS.JPG

Use FORM v1.23.  This will format your ramdisk to 800K.   FORM3MEG will format up to 3.2MiB, however, Geneve OS/MDOS 6.50 bugs will eventually corrupt the data.

I should probably amend the WIKI:

https://github.com/horizonramdisk/Horizon-Ramdisk-ti994a/wiki/Geneve

The upcoming OS release implements fixes and also enhances support to format the ramdisk as one large hard drive partition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Use FORM v1.23.  This will format your ramdisk to 800K.   FORM3MEG will format up to 3.2MiB, however, Geneve OS/MDOS 6.50 bugs will eventually corrupt the data.

I should probably amend the WIKI:

https://github.com/horizonramdisk/Horizon-Ramdisk-ti994a/wiki/Geneve

The upcoming OS release implements fixes and also enhances support to format the ramdisk as one large hard drive partition.

ah OK, I understand.

If my Ramdisk has 1,5MB, and I FORM123 it to 800KB, can I use the rest of

OK, I just saw it :)  So I just use a smaller ramdisk for a while, and wait for the new OS.

Is it normal that I cannot map a driveletter (i.e. N:) to my ramdisk (DSK8.)

Infos:

Controller: Myarc DDCC-1 80Track, 4 drives running and working good now.

DSK6. is my E: for the PFM-flashdisk, maybe that´s why it will not work ?

I read about booting and "DSK6. required" somewhere here around.

Or maybe because Ramdisk is >1400  (HRD3000 with 1536KB)

Sorry, still reading, tinkering and learning ;) But making some progress

REMAP´s (standard as given from boot)  &  ASSIGNments:

(Error message on "ASSIGN N=DSK8:"  is "Device Error")

IMG_5180.thumb.JPG.7a2f0ba02c8756223851edbbe6b1db23.JPG

Remap 8N assigns device N to DSK8.  It does not assign drive letter N to DSK8.

To assign DSK8 to a drive letter, do the following in AUTOEXEC or at the prompt.  In AUTOEXEC for it to be assigned during each boot cycle

ASSIGN F=DSK8:

here, you can then do:

DIR F:\

and will get a directory of DSK8.

Beery

Edited by BeeryMiller
  • Like 1

First, use FORM V1.23 as @InsaneMultitasker indicated and use the Autodetect feature to detect the card.  Confirm the CRU is at CRU >1400, and format the disk.

Then, try using the REMAP command now that the drive is formatted.

That's my only thought at the moment.

Also, what happens if you do a DIR DSK8. ?  Do you get a directory listing?

Beery

• Thanks 1

yes, will try that. I think I formatted it with FORM3MEG. And I did not do any REMAP. But will tinker around again.

DIR DSK8. works good, and I can fully use the ramdisk with that

I also started the DU2K from it, to check the HFDC DSR´s ... as this was the only option to have the HFDC "alone" in the Geneve