IGNORED

Need keyboard for Mega STe, what can I use?

24 minutes ago, larrylaffer said:

Or if you don't want to make something handmade as PLM suggested, you could use a mega ST keyboard. They are expensive but cheaper than the mega STE ones. 

Thanks, so that means I can use a Mega ST keyboard as a direct replacement for the Mega STe keyboard, correct?

12 minutes ago, Randy said:

Thanks, so that means I can use a Mega ST keyboard as a direct replacement for the Mega STe keyboard, correct?

Correct. They have the same internals as far as I know, and I have been using my mega ST keyboard on my mega STE for a while. 

Eiffel is also a good option if you don't mind mixing non-Atari peripherals with your Ataris.

In fact in my setup I have a KVM with a PS2 mouse and keyboard connected to my Atari st(e)s and Amigas using small modern interfacing gadgets that translate PS2 to Atari/amiga mouse/keyboard interfaces. 

Yeah, Mega ST and Mega STE keyboards are replaceable, and basically same.

Internals are actually same by all keyboards in ST-TT-Falcon machines - same IKBD chip, keys (except language differences), key scan codes.

What differ is connection. Separated Mega ST, Mega STE keyboard has only 4 line cable, so it needs little plus electronic for resetting chip at power on.

haha, don't think Dr. Goochman is rich, but he's doing OK!

Peter. thanks for the info, that would certainly be the least expensive way to go by using a ST keyboard and wiring it up.  The Eiffel sounds good but I hear there are some issues with it, but may have to give that a closer look as well.

Randy, are you missing the keyboard or does your keyboard just not work?  The most common problem was the cable would get damaged.  You can replace it with a standard telephone cord as long as it is the RJ12 6P6C (6-position type rather than the more common 4-position).

Edited by MasterMotorola
RJ12, not RJ11