IGNORED

SIO sockets bulk order

foft

NOTA BENNE:  NORTH AMERICAN shipping addresses only

Okay, folks, I just paid foft for all of the SIO going to the UNITED STATES.  They are $6.50+shipping if you pay via PayPal.  I will remind you of this, but please send it "paying for goods and services."  You are paying the fee either way and Paypal gets cranky if I get too many Friends & Family payments because they KNOW I do not have that many any friends! ;-)

If you want to avoid the extra $0.50 per unit, you can always send me a check/money order/gold bullion via the USPS, but that is up to you.

Send me the following via PM or via macrorie@thebrewingacademy.com:

AA handle

number of SIO requested

How you want it sent (up to 15.9 ounces [about 30 SIO] can be sent first class, after that it is priority)

email address

Name

Shipping Address

I have some flexibility in the number, so feel free to add some to your request or jump on board even if you didn't ask before now

When I have the connectors IN HAND I will send you an invoice and ask for payment.

Let me know if you have questions.

-M

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/2/2020 at 12:02 AM, foft said:

US:

MacRorie: 100

Stephen: 12-24
Dropcheck: 10

GunStar: 5-10

orpheuswaking: 10

DrVenkman: 5

JagChris: 5

Brentarian: 5

Colleton: 5

Okay, I have them in hand.  I will be sending invoices to those that gave me their information and PMs to those that did not.  If you are interested, they are $6.50 each plus shipping.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Received my order via MacRorie in the mail today.  And I wanted to make a couple of observations.  Understand I am not criticizing just to be complaining.  I have an overall good impression for the first mass production of SIO connectors since Atari stopped production of the 8bits.  But there are some things I'd like to suggest be changed in the next production run.    

1st.  The wings on the side are not complete.  They should be longer and have the mounting holes of the original SIO connectors.  In my mind it is a must.  All you have to do is imagine a contrary SIO cable insertion into the back of a disk drive unit on the bottom of a stack of such drives while standing nearly on your head and trying to do it by feel.  The amount of pressure asserted will be massive in multiple directions to a connector whose only anchor point to the pcb is it's soldered pins.

2nd.  This kinda of relates to the first observation.  The pins seem to be ever so slightly thinner than the originals.  I can't prove it and I might be dead wrong, but they seem thinner.  Understand I don't know if it's possible to get an exact match.  But taken with no mounting holes on either wing to provide stability,  thinner pins could be a source of failure that will make these SIO connectors less reliable than the originals. 

Otherwise I am satisfied with the quality of the connectors.  There is no roughness that I can find and the SIO cable and connector fit is good.  Foft has done an excellent job.  ?

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Dropcheck said:

1st.  The wings on the side are not complete.  They should be longer and have the mounting holes of the original SIO connectors.  In my mind it is a must.  All you have to do is imagine a contrary SIO cable insertion into the back of a disk drive unit on the bottom of a stack of such drives while standing nearly on your head and trying to do it by feel.  The amount of pressure asserted will be massive in multiple directions to a connector whose only anchor point to the pcb is it's soldered pins.

Dropcheck is right to be concerned, the lack of rivets in the SIO socket mounting holes caused broken pads/traces on the XF551 PCB from the stress of plugging/unplugging cables.

• Like 1

Not that I forgot.  My memory is quite good actually.  I just can't remember where I put my car keys.

Kudos to MacRorie for his assist on this side of the pond in dispersing the SIO connectors to their various new owners. 

Now where was I when I had the keys last in my hand.....

Edited by Dropcheck

None of my 1050's have rivets and they're fine so mileage will obviously vary. That said, if your're really concerned, put a dab of hot glue under the edges before you inset the socket to solder. If you ever need to remove it, desolder the pins as usual, then use hot air or isopropyl alcohol to remove. 

there is just enough plastic that you can utilize a clip, or drill small hole to use screw/washer/locking nut (threadlocker if there is a concern)

it would be awesome if it came ever so slightly closer to flush with the sockets open faced edge. this would help prevent rocking etc. The SIO socket does need to be able to stick through case holes and this is should still have some recess to accommodate those installations and is why the tabs are back from the face.

To be honest it's very close to perfect.

Edited by _The Doctor__

8 hours ago, BillC said:

Dropcheck is right to be concerned, the lack of rivets in the SIO socket mounting holes caused broken pads/traces on the XF551 PCB from the stress of plugging/unplugging cables.

That's not the main reason. The real culprit was the use of a single layer board on the XF551. When a 2-layer board is manufactured, there are two pads for every hole (one on top and another directly below) with a plate through tieing one to the other (as well as the common soldered component wire passing through). However with a single sided board all that holds the pad in place is the adhesive being used between the 1 oz copper sheet and the board substrate, which is very weak and easily lifted.

I seriosly doubt you would see much of any such failures on a 2-layer board like the 1050. Yes adding either screws or rivets is good insurance, but only really required with the XF551.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orpheuswaking said:

Got mine a few days ago via @MacRorie these look great! Somehow I missed the fact they would be the white color, but I think they look pretty cool.

Y'know, it's funny, because even though there are pictures at the beginning of this thread that detail **exactly** how they are going to look from the color to the form factor, when I opened the box, my first thought was, "Hey!  Why are these white?!" ;-) Not sure why I was surprised by any part of it since the pictures were there at the beginning! ;-)

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, MacRorie said:

Y'know, it's funny, because even though there are pictures at the beginning of this thread that detail **exactly** how they are going to look from the color to the form factor, when I opened the box, my first thought was, "Hey!  Why are these white?!" ;-) Not sure why I was surprised by any part of it since the pictures were there at the beginning! ;-)

Right? I know I saw the pictures when I said I wanted some ?

Sweet - got my connectors in today.  Was initially surprised to see the AtariMax logo inside - then I went back and re-read the thread and noticed not only that, but the reference to the white design.  I sure hope I pay more attention to my wife when she is talking to me, than I do when I am reading and ordering items - LMAO.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 8:23 AM, foft said:

Small update: The package to Europe is not here yet, International shipping slow at the moment...

No sign or tracking updates since 12th July, the current theory is that the package is rerouted from airmail to sea. This is apparently pretty normal usps service at the moment.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, foft said:

No sign or tracking updates since 12th July, the current theory is that the package is rerouted from airmail to sea. This is apparently pretty normal usps service at the moment.

USPS service rates are abysmal right now.  The carriers are trying their level best to get things where they need to go, but they have precious little upper level executive support.

That being said, I have more than 20 packages (to and from me) that have been in transit 30+ days DOMESTICALLY!  Some of my international shipments have taken upwards of two months.

I've got a bunch of AliExpress orders that have been in-country since July 3rd, with no further movement on the tracking.

Even Amazon Prime 1 day & 2 day shipping have not been getting here on time.  It used to be that if they were late, you could complain and they would credit you with an additional month of Prime.  Now they don't do anything about it.