IGNORED

Unholy

On 6/14/2020 at 12:09 AM, The Eyeball Mural said:

I've played both demo roms so far. Here is my feedback:

With both roms I have experienced screen rolling or vertical hold issues, running Stella 6.0. Maybe I need to update?

The sprite for Bro. Sancti is well done and nicely animated. I do miss the "gradient" coloring from the earlier version however.

I wonder if some of the holes or pits could be changed to solid obstructions, so that I don't always fall to my death when I make a mistake. Instead I could just be hindered by the obstruction. You could change the color from black to some other contrasting color and make them "no go" areas, with no need to change anything else. Then there would be two kinds of hazards, one dangerous, the other lethal. This would make the gameplay more diverse and nuanced, and less repetitive and less frustrating.

I hope the sounds are developed further. They are basic and a tad harsh. I like the little bit of music. More music here and there would be good!

I love the ghost and skull sprites. and their movement.

I would like the game more if the navigation of the rooms was a tad less punishing, and the ghosts were a tad more challenging. The ghosts are usually not too tricky to deal with, while walking around is a bit like playing E.T.

I think this game has much potential, and I am excited to see it develop. I am anxious to explore more rooms and meet that devil!

Thanks for the feedback. 

I'm trying to improve the rooms and turn them less frustrating.

All the suggestions are good, I'll try some on this way. 

For now, I have a new video made exclusively to Homebrew Brasil Facebook page.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We'll be checking out an Exclusive WIP Update of Unholy on today's (Tue Jul 7) ZeroPage Homebrew stream LIVE on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew

Saw this on ZPH today. It's an exciting development. The detail on some of those playfield patterns is amazing. It has that "Castlevania factor" where I constantly want to explore new areas, who knows what is lurking. Keep on going...parabens Leo.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MarcoJ said:

Saw this on ZPH today. It's an exciting development. The detail on some of those playfield patterns is amazing. It has that "Castlevania factor" where I constantly want to explore new areas, who knows what is lurking. Keep on going...parabens Leo.

Thanks a lot.

Castlevania was one of my references when I started this project. I love this kind of game.

Your game is amazing too. You almost forget you are playing on an Atari 2600. 

Obrigado Marco

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The changes are really nice. I love the blood forming on the floors. It is an amazing effect that brings a eerie sense to the screen. The sprites are great too. The improvements made are very good and this game only looks to keep getting better with your development.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really enjoyed the 2020_07_06 build of the game. The overall look and feel of the game is great. I was able to get the key to the big red door and after entering I was given a game over screen. I'm guessing that was the end of the build. :)

One thing I did notice is that if I entered a room and there was no exit off the platform (pits surrounding where the player enters the room), you can jump down the pit if you have a life and then you'll spawn on the unreachable area of the screen on the other side of the pit.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, slacker said:

One thing I did notice is that if I entered a room and there was no exit off the platform (pits surrounding where the player enters the room), you can jump down the pit if you have a life and then you'll spawn on the unreachable area of the screen on the other side of the pit.

We didn't give it a try during our stream of the game but I saw that effect happen during one of our deaths and assumed it would spawn in a previously unreachable place on a platform screen.

- James

• Like 1

11 hours ago, slacker said:

I really enjoyed the 2020_07_06 build of the game. The overall look and feel of the game is great. I was able to get the key to the big red door and after entering I was given a game over screen. I'm guessing that was the end of the build. :)

Yes, it was the end of the demo. Was it hard to get there?

11 hours ago, slacker said:

1 hour ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

We didn't give it a try during our stream of the game but I saw that effect happen during one of our deaths and assumed it would spawn in a previously unreachable place on a platform screen.

- James

Well, I'd left it as a punishment, or an advantage, depending the way you are navigating, but now I changed, if you are on that unreachable place and die for any reason, you start over on the center of the screen (sometimes the enemies could be there also ?)

I also fixed that line count issue and I'm improving the performance.

Thanks for the feedback!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I can't really comment on the difficulty getting to the end of the demo because I used the "jump in the pit" manoeuvre in the beginning to get to one of the keys and then again at the end to short cut my way back to the end door. ? I will have to play through again without doing that to give an honest answer. That said, I didn't find any of the traps or enemies to be unfair.

• 2 months later...
On 10/2/2020 at 5:11 AM, Leonardo Santiago said:

What's up guys?

I returned to the topic to inform that the game is finished!! ??

I am trying to release the game later this year.

Thanks to everyone who helped me during development.

That's great news Leonardo! Looking forward to featuring the finished game on the stream!

- James

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

ZeroPage Homebrew will be playing the EXCLUSIVE FINAL RELEASE of Unholy on tomorrow's (Tue Oct 20) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Cool, atmospheric looking game.  There's a lot of talk about this and other games I've checked out on here being given a physical release but not much detail in terms of where.  Through AtariAge store or are there many more physical releases I'm unaware of available elsewhere?  Directly through the forums?  I should "follow" the games I'm interested in and there will eventually be release details?  Not being a programmer and just a gamer, I've not really checked out the "programming" sections before.

2 hours ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Cool, atmospheric looking game.  There's a lot of talk about this and other games I've checked out on here being given a physical release but not much detail in terms of where.  Through AtariAge store or are there many more physical releases I'm unaware of available elsewhere?  Directly through the forums?  I should "follow" the games I'm interested in and there will eventually be release details?  Not being a programmer and just a gamer, I've not really checked out the "programming" sections before.

Thank you!

Unholy will be distributed by AtariAge soon.

It was scheduled to be released at the end of last year, but due to the large volume of games, we prefer to release it earlier this year.

It will soon be published in the store.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Leonardo Santiago said:

Thank you!

Unholy will be distributed by AtariAge soon.

It was scheduled to be released at the end of last year, but due to the large volume of games, we prefer to release it earlier this year.

It will soon be published in the store.

Awesome.  Thanks.  I shall look forward to its release.