IGNORED

Just acquired

Blow the dust off the mainboard, too. 

Otherwise: that is a stock //e (enhanced) system, as can be seen from '//e' on the boot screen, with a Disk II or DuoDisk controller (cannot tell from that shot) and the reduced size 80-column+64K RAM expansion board. The monitor is a Monitor ///. Be careful cleaning it as it has a fabric glare screen. Please try to avoid tearing or damaging/clogging that part, as you cannot acquire replacements. 

The Monitor /// is probably my choice of monochrome monitors, as it has a very high phosphour retention time, which makes for excellent phosphour trails. 

Edited by GameGeezer
  • Like 2

Tried blowing out the dust but it is hard packed. Will get a firm(ish) elec. Brush and get it off gently. The Disk controller is a Duo. At least my guess is, that is the case as, 2 disk drives connect to one card.

Fabric monitor glass?
Will research. The alignment is off for the video. As there is a black bar across the top. Might be the RCA cable.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Blow the dust off the mainboard, too. 

Otherwise: that is a stock //e (enhanced) system, as can be seen from '//e' on the boot screen, with a Disk II or DuoDisk controller (cannot tell from that shot) and the reduced size 80-column+64K RAM expansion board. The monitor is a Monitor ///. Be careful cleaning it as it has a fabric glare screen. Please try to avoid tearing or damaging/clogging that part, as you cannot acquire replacements. 

The Monitor /// is probably my choice of monochrome monitors, as it has a very high phosphour retention time, which makes for excellent phosphour trails. 
Will getcha more pics

It's a little peculiar to see that early a monitor with that late of a system.  Interesting!

Yeah, if you have that fabric glued to your glass, take it apart and peel that stuff off.  It traps so much dirt and gets nasty!  It was meant to reduce glare, and I guess it did 30 years ago, but now all it does is trap the nasty.

On 5/29/2020 at 4:39 AM, Lee Adamson said:

It's a little peculiar to see that early a monitor with that late of a system.  Interesting!

Yeah, if you have that fabric glued to your glass, take it apart and peel that stuff off.  It traps so much dirt and gets nasty!  It was meant to reduce glare, and I guess it did 30 years ago, but now all it does is trap the nasty.

No, no, no, no. Don't destroy it. Hell, if you don't want those fabric screens, sell them to me.

They're part of what makes the Monitor /// so fantastic, with a unique satin aesthetic. You can clean them by light disassembly of the case, and a rinse in the sink. They pop out on a plastic frame. They were never glued in, nor glued onto the CRT.

I'd rather have a torn or dirty satin overlay than a bare CRT. Hell, if I could make those for every model of CRT, I would. 

Edited by GameGeezer

On 5/29/2020 at 12:41 AM, Mehridian Sanders said:

Tried blowing out the dust but it is hard packed. Will get a firm(ish) elec. Brush and get it off gently. The Disk controller is a Duo. At least my guess is, that is the case as, 2 disk drives connect to one card.

Fabric monitor glass?
Will research. The alignment is off for the video. As there is a black bar across the top. Might be the RCA cable.

There is vertical height adjustment on the rear of the Monitor ///. If it is off-centre, it does have adjustments for that, as do all CRTs, nut they are internal. Not hard to correct, but you need to follow CRT safety procedure, as there is lethal voltage inside. If you need the adjustment procedure docs, I have them.

What did you use on the dust? I use a compressor at 100 PSI with an air jet nozzle. 

DuoDisk controllers have one DB-25 female connector on their back. They support either one DuoDisk mechanism, or two daisy-chained UniDisk 5.25 drives. All Apple ][ 5.25 drive controllers accept two drives. If it has two separate ribbon cables, then it is a Disk ][ controller. 

Edited by GameGeezer

On 5/28/2020 at 4:41 PM, Mehridian Sanders said:

The Disk controller is a Duo. At least my guess is, that is the case as, 2 disk drives connect to one card.

That's probably a standard Disk II controller card. I'm guessing there are two headers on the card so you can connect two drives inside. A duodisk card has one db19(or something of the sort) connector and one big box with two drives inside it connects to that one connector.

On 5/30/2020 at 8:27 AM, GameGeezer said:

There is vertical height adjustment on the rear of the Monitor ///. If it is off-centre, it does have adjustments for that, as do all CRTs, nut they are internal. Not hard to correct, but you need to follow CRT safety procedure, as there is lethal voltage inside. If you need the adjustment procedure docs, I have them.

What did you use on the dust? I use a compressor at 100 PSI with an air jet nozzle. 

DuoDisk controllers have one DB-25 female connector on their back. They support either one DuoDisk mechanism, or two daisy-chained UniDisk 5.25 drives. All Apple ][ 5.25 drive controllers accept two drives. If it has two separate ribbon cables, then it is a Disk ][ controller. 

Yes please, I would appreciate the docs for that. 

For the dust I used a ... toothbrush. It took quite a while, but if a thing is worth doing ....

It has 2 separate ribbon cable connectors. So Disk ][.

I was surprised to also receive the manuals for this. Unfortunately the ProDOS is not working. 

I have also had my own dose of voltage... replacing a TV Power Board. Left me with what looks like some tiny vampire bit my finger. I closed the loop on a series of Caps that still had a charge. Non lethal but I am thankful it happened in front of company.....

On 5/30/2020 at 8:27 AM, GameGeezer said:

I just remembered I inherited a compressor. I used a can of keyboard air cleaner. Now that I know I can use the Compressor (and that I had one!) 100 PSI probably tonight. Will show before and after pics when the become available. 

16 hours ago, Mehridian Sanders said:

I just remembered I inherited a compressor. I used a can of keyboard air cleaner. Now that I know I can use the Compressor (and that I had one!) 100 PSI probably tonight. Will show before and after pics when the become available. 

Use a trigger nozzle air jet attachment. 

This is what I have handy. Once you remove the front cover, the screen is on a frame, an the frame pops out. You can gently rinse it to clean it. 

Apple-Monitor-III-Serrvice.pdf

Apple-Monitor-III-Schematic.pdf

Edited by GameGeezer
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...