IGNORED

Has anyone heard from Atari-DNA ???

coachbrj

• 3 weeks later...

Now that I got my Atarimax SD multicart back I'd love for him to fix my CX53 Trak-Ball, it doesn't work, there are multiple things wrong with it, and I would love to be able to play Missile Command, Centipede and Millipede the "proper" way again.

7 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

Now that I got my Atarimax SD multicart back I'd love for him to fix my CX53 Trak-Ball, it doesn't work, there are multiple things wrong with it, and I would love to be able to play Missile Command, Centipede and Millipede the "proper" way again.

The Trak-Ball isn’t that complicated inside. There are few pieces of “unobtainium” inside (I believe the opto-encoders aren’t produced anymore), but most of the things that go wrong are logic chips which are still readily available. There’s a pretty good schematic and TB troubleshooting guide in the 5200 Field Service Manual, if I recall correctly. I used that, plus advice from Dan Kramer on Facebook to fix mine a few years ago.

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Probably a bad SALLY, bad BIOS chip or bad DRAM chip, in that order. At least that’s what I’d be looking into with it. 

It is interesting you mention those in that order because I had always been lead to believe in reading about the 5200 in the past, that the video ram was always problematic and highly prone to failure. But I've only had to replace the ram chips in two different 5200s. But I've had to replace semi faulty 4-port BIOS rev.1 chips about 3 times and I think the 2-port BIOS maybe twice? I've only had to replace the CPU on one 5200 so far. But those two 5200s that did have faulty RAM, didn't just have one bad chip. I had to replace 2 of them in one, and like 4 of them in another? So I assume they have a tendency to go out in pairs?