IGNORED

Sophia 2 preorder thread

Simius

1 hour ago, zeropolis79 said:

Might be intrested in one as it doesn't involve soldering, but how much would it be and does it improve the pictures as shown on TV or something? Thanks

Keep in mind, that if your GTIA (40-pin chip) is not already socketed, this will need done to install the Sophia2.  Also, if you are using the original Atari outputs (composite or s-video), there will no no difference in output quality.  Only when using the DVI output (which can be converted to both VGA and HDMI via passive adapters / cables) will there be better quality output.  The DVI output is stunning BTW!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Keep in mind, that if your GTIA (40-pin chip) is not already socketed, this will need done to install the Sophia2.  Also, if you are using the original Atari outputs (composite or s-video), there will no no difference in output quality.  Only when using the DVI output (which can be converted to both VGA and HDMI via passive adapters / cables) will there be better quality output.  The DVI output is stunning BTW!

Is there any reason to install sophia 2 for CRT usage at all then?  Seems the benefits are squarely aimed at modern/LCD displays or maybe vga too I guess.   

What about for "back in the day"  CRT monitors like 1902, 1702, 1084, etc?   Any benefit through svideo or ryg component break-out video path?

(I have my sophia 2,  but haven't installed yet)

Thanks! 

Eric

9 minutes ago, erichenneke said:

Is there any reason to install sophia 2 for CRT usage at all then?  Seems the benefits are squarely aimed at modern/LCD displays or maybe vga too I guess.   

What about for "back in the day"  CRT monitors like 1902, 1702, 1084, etc?   Any benefit through svideo or ryg component break-out video path?

Thanks! 

Eric

Honestly, I would not install one if just using on something like a 1084.  The UAV is much cheaper and will make somewhat of a difference on older CRTs.

The one advantage that Sophia2 will give when using the legacy outputs however, is 2 colours in hi-res mode and 16-luminances in ALL modes, not just GTIA.  These I call "carry-over" features from the VBXE2 expansion.  These features are optional which is great, and like resolution, they are software controllable.

Please don't think anything I have mentioned is a negative for the Sophia2.  I have 2 of them, and will probably get more as time goes on.

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Honestly, I would not install one if just using on something like a 1084.  The UAV is much cheaper and will make somewhat of a difference on older CRTs.

The one advantage that Sophia2 will give when using the legacy outputs however, is 2 colours in hi-res mode and 16-luminances in ALL modes, not just GTIA.  These I call "carry-over" features from the VBXE2 expansion.  These features are optional which is great, and like resolution, they are software controllable.

Please don't think anything I have mentioned is a negative for the Sophia2.  I have 2 of them, and will probably get more as time goes on.

@Stephen are the luminance values handled the same as regular GTIA 9, for example?

6 hours ago, erichenneke said:

Thanks! 

Eric

6 hours ago, Stephen said:

I cannot compare Sophia2 with UAV because I don't have the latter.

I have another s-video mod that produces a very good image on my 1084ST monitor but Sophia2 connected to the analog rgb port is noticeably better.

1084ST.thumb.png.4ec3ce8ce373d13bc9d62c9ba9f6f607.png

I would add that, on socketed computers, Sophia 2 is solderless.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, 777ismyname said:

@Stephen are the luminance values handled the same as regular GTIA 9, for example?

Yes - all 4 bits are used, rather than just the top three.  The used register of course depends on the mode.  For example, in BASIC Graphics mode 0, 710 will still control the background and 712 the border, but you get the 16 shades not 8.

6 hours ago, Philsan said:

I cannot compare Sophia2 with UAV because I don't have the latter.

I have another s-video mod that produces a very good image on my 1084ST monitor but Sophia2 connected to the analog rgb port is noticeably better.

1084ST.thumb.png.4ec3ce8ce373d13bc9d62c9ba9f6f607.png

I would add that, on socketed computers, Sophia 2 is solderless.

Sorry - I did forget the 1084 does RGB and in this case, yes, there will be a markedly better image when compared to either composite or s-video.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Yes - all 4 bits are used, rather than just the top three.  The used register of course depends on the mode.  For example, in BASIC Graphics mode 0, 710 will still control the background and 712 the border, but you get the 16 shades not 8.

Sorry - I did forget the 1084 does RGB and in this case, yes, there will be a markedly better image when compared to either composite or s-video.

Even though I "know" my 1084 has RGB input (I haven't used it for years, I need to repair the PSU board), I've been thinking about getting it working with my 1200XL's Supervideo 2.1 for so long, it never occurred to me to think about using the RGB input on the 1084 with my Sophia 2 in the 800. I think I will do that instead now. Because, though my 800's S-video does look pretty clean and sharp since I modded it, the 1200XL's still has a superior chroma output via S-video, that works great with my S-video2VGA up-scaler/converter. And maybe upgrade the 1200XL to Sophia 2 DVI out down the road. At least it will finally encourage me to get the 1084 working again, since I have an RGB option and I'd rather have CRT RGB with the old 800, than DVI/HDMI to LCD. And I've apparently got a little time, since I'm waiting on the 800 version of Sophia 2.

Part of the reason I've waited so long to fix the 1084 has been conservation; if I'd been using it all these years the tube might have worn out by now. But now that I'm in my 50's, I think I've waited long enough. I do have a new flyback to install in the 1084 too, a part I've had for a decade now, so I'll just do that at the same time as a bit of preventative maintenance.

20201230_094242.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

@Firedawg Is that DVI-to-HDMI ouput on the screen?

I just payed for my 800 version yesterday, so it's on it's way or soon will be. But I think I'm going to do RGB out to my CRT.

Below is my current video quality on my 800. PAL 50Hz S-video out to video-to-VGA upscaler/converter, and output to the screen as 1024x768 XVGA at 60Hz. Once the Sophia is installed the converter will be used on my 1200XL's s-video out with SV 2.1 upgrade, which has an even sharper and deeper color than this picture below.

20201231_115005_HDR.jpg

Edited by Gunstar