Simius

Sophia 2 preorder thread

The GTIA socket in my 1200XL was super tight too. I took the motherboard out of the case, placed it on a pad, and then installed. Press down firmly, like wow-this-is-hard!, but evenly and it went in.

5 hours ago, Alessiman said:

However i found that while my motherboard is socketed the SOFIA 2 board does not want to stay in place securely.  It seems like the socket doesn't play nice with modern pins.  I was wondering if anyone else had the same issue

And lastly.  How do you get sound out of the 800XL??

I had the same issue discussed in the other Sophia 2 thread.  I got the Sophia 2 in my 800xl socket easily but in my 600xl it does not want to stay in, just pops out.

As for audio on my 800xl I have run the audio plug from the monitor cable to a stand alone powered speaker.  I looked at HDMI audio injectors but they are very expensive.

Maybe PokeyMax 3 is the solution but I don't know enough about that add-on to comment.

10 hours ago, Alessiman said:

However i found that while my motherboard is socketed the SOFIA 2 board does not want to stay in place securely.  It seems like the socket doesn't play nice with modern pins.  I was wondering if anyone else had the same issue

My 800XL is a Rev.D and it’s socketed except for both ROMs and PIA.

Sophia 2 was a tight fit in the factory socket but once it popped in, it hasn’t moved.

I just used the monitor jack for audio and route it to my speakers.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sinjinhawke said:

As for audio on my 800xl I have run the audio plug from the monitor cable to a stand alone powered speaker.  I looked at HDMI audio injectors but they are very expensive.

It was a case of RTFM! the DVI input has a tiny 3.5mm audio in that wasn't next to the DVI socket.  Once i found a 2 RCA to 3.5mm Y adapter all was working fine

6 hours ago, ratwell said:

Sophia 2 was a tight fit in the factory socket but once it popped in, it hasn’t moved.

I'm worried if i press down too hard it will damage the motherboard.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alessiman said:

I'm worried if i press down too hard it will damage the motherboard.  

Support it underneath with some styrofoam or whatever is not conductive or anti-static so the logic board doesn’t deflect as you press.

Edited by ratwell
  • Like 1

@Simius, the VGATE mode is an awesome feature. I've noticed with Lucasfilm games like Rescue on Fractalas that the left edge is still showing some of the image that would normally disappear into the overscan area:

956763185_RescueofFractalasVGATEleftside.thumb.jpg.6888d88527e1c2d3defc2fa0e590e470.jpg

Ballblazer has the same issue with a brown bar at the bottom left.

Is there a way to tweak this? If not, it would be cool to add an offset adjustment to the sconf.xex.

Edited by ratwell

10 hours ago, ratwell said:

Support it underneath with some styrofoam or whatever is not conductive or anti-static so the logic board doesn’t deflect as you press.

I placed my motherboard on a massive mousepad. Worked well.

I got my first Sophia 2 and like it so much that I like to order 2 Sophias additionally...

Thanks for this fantastc piece of hardware!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Hi Simius, do you still have available units? I would like one When next batch became available.

Please confirm expected date,

Thanks 

Edited by Cocoe68

Hi Simius,

If there is going to be a next batch, I would like to order a Sophia 2 for my 800XL.

Thanks.

Hi Simus,

I have just acquired another 600XL which was supposed to be broken, but it works perfectly well, so can I put my name down for another Sofia 2 when if/when you make another batch?

Thanks!

Colin

The second batch is not over yet. There are still a couple dozen. If someone would like to buy, let me know on a PM. 

Posted (edited)

Great product. Works phenomenal in my 800XL. If there´s a new batch, I´m in for another one for my 130XE.

Thanx!

Edited by Jochen

6 minutes ago, orpheuswaking said:

Interest in 2 more

My god man how many do you have now?

• Haha 1