IGNORED

New NES prototype found, will be released on Monday.

xabin

A never-known NES rom has been found and painstakingly put back together, will be released Monday. According to the link, a brand new, never before seen NES prototype was found on a bunch of 5.25 floppies and painstakingly put back together to create a playable game, and will be released on Monday. There's a lot of speculation on what the game is, but it had to be delayed a day, because of how the team who found it restored it (it was originally going to be released on Sunday). What do you guys think it might be?

Edited by xabin
  • Thanks 1

Depends.

By “never-known” and “never before seen” is that referring to “never known to have made it to the prototype stage” and “never before seen in a screen shot in a magazine”

OR

does it mean “never known by anyone at all in such that it was never even rumored or announced or mentioned anywhere in any publication”

If it’s the first, I can give 2 or 3 guesses as to what game it is, and likely get it right.

If it’s the second, what’s the point? NOBODY could EVER possibly guess it.

1 hour ago, Supergun said:

Depends.

By “never-known” and “never before seen” is that referring to “never known to have made it to the prototype stage” and “never before seen in a screen shot in a magazine”

OR

does it mean “never known by anyone at all in such that it was never even rumored or announced or mentioned anywhere in any publication”

If it’s the first, I can give 2 or 3 guesses as to what game it is, and likely get it right.

If it’s the second, what’s the point? NOBODY could EVER possibly guess it.

Apparently, the code for the game was found on a bunch of 5.25 floppies and painstakingly cobbled back together to make a full game. Nothing known about it, yet, other than that.

I’m not a huge NES fan, but if I were, I’d make DAMN sure that at least 1 person I know personally, was buying one of those carts from that run ASAP. And NOT because of “future collectibility”, or “helping out the family”, or “actually wanting to play the game now”...

Buildable source code and ROMs now on GitHub:

https://github.com/DickBlackshack/Days-of-Thunder-NES-Unpublished

And since nobody else linked to it, here's our original story on rebuilding the game:

https://gamehistory.org/days-of-thunder-nes-unreleased/

If you don't know us, we're a charity of volunteers dedicated to doing this kind of work. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I have a rare prototype, looking to sell it but not sure what it's worth? some have said hundreds of thousands...? not sure what to do or who to contact. dont really want to dump it as it would take away from its rarity.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rice said:

I have a rare prototype, looking to sell it but not sure what it's worth? some have said hundreds of thousands...? not sure what to do or who to contact. dont really want to dump it as it would take away from its rarity.

Nope.  Dumping the game has no bearing on it's value.  REAL collectors want the real thing.  If there is only ONE in existence it is still worth top dollar. 

• Like 1