IGNORED

Hello Everyone.....Newbie question.

Cablecar69

Hello everyone.

I’m new to the forum and have a lot of fun over the last few weeks getting back in to Atari.

It started with one but then I’ve now got 4. I got offered some cheap.

So the question is.... some of the cartridges ive tried have sound and some dont.  The ones that don't are the same on all 4 consoles.

So, if I hook up any of the consoles to a crt tv though rf and put space invaders in I get picture and sound as expected. When I put boxing in any machine there is no sound.

Ive cleaned the contacts on the cartridges.... Ive also noticed that these carts cause the TV to have its channel ID stay on......so is it the TV?

i have tweaked the rf modulator to no avail. It is also on other games to.

I learnt a lot from these pages so thank you all very much.

TIA

I can't really recommend anything, other than to try a different TV.  I you have modern TVs, they work too. If I recall correctly, boxing only makes sounds when you punch o make contact while playing. There are other games which only make sounds while playing. I can check when I get home tonight. What other games have you tried that had no sound?

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

Ghostbusters 2 also has no sound. Im thinking it is the TV because when there is no sound...the TV channel details stay on screen...showing MONO sound but doesnt go off like it doesnt quite like the signal. I wonder whether the they are NTSC carts and the TV doesnt quite like it.  I get an old portable to try them on. I'll also do the composite mod on one and see what happens.

I would have to double-check by running in an emulator, but my guess is, that the games not producing any sound do not run on plain 262 lines per frame. And in this case the TV mute the sound as it assumes that the picture is faulty. Something like this usually happens when loading supercharger games, or when running a demo that does not produce any sync.

For your tv, many of the crts from the late 80's on had an option to display certain things like channel and sound input. If you have it's original remote, there should be a "display" button, which you'll have to push to cycle through its various options. I always hated this, as many people even bitd, seemed oblivious to the ability to turn these display icons off. It didn't help that some tvs seemed to have channel displayed as a native setting (probably a store demo thing)

If you don't have the original remote, try setting up a universal remote, but no promises here, as even if the remote works, you often have to find the right button, if the remote even uses it.

Display is a different option from input, that button just switches between cable, and whatever other inputs your tv may have.

The tv itself may have options or menu buttons, but how you access display options varies from set to set. Good luck, hope you get it set right.