IGNORED

Season 10 ~ Week 4 ~ Stampede

Vocelli

4 hours ago, fakecortex said:

maybe it had to do with how they coded the score display. 

This is just a guess (maybe some 6502 programmers can chime in), but if 6502 allows for signed integers, and the devs knew that a score above UInt(32767), or UInt(&HFFFF), was possible, they may have decided that allowing a rollover at 10K and displaying a rollover sprite was their only option if they wanted to save that 16th bit for one reason or another. The maximum score possible on this game is around 40K.

• Like 2

"You'll notice that the Dogies appear in rows. When you rope the last one of a group of dark red Herefords...get set for some fast action, 'cause there's trouble ahead!".

From the manual.

Haven't played this in a while, PB 3848, committed to a "patch score", like Kaboom last season, I don't think I'll commit enough to top my pb(never know...).

But I wonder if that might be a key to the Black Anguses or something?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rogerpoco said:

"You'll notice that the Dogies appear in rows. When you rope the last one of a group of dark red Herefords...get set for some fast action, 'cause there's trouble ahead!".

From the manual.

Good eye! I love the dev note in the activision manuals. I gotta test this one out!

• Like 1

The black cows and skull are considered obstacles, unlike the moving cows. And they alternate. skull/black cow/skull/black cow/...

So let's say you have four rows of moving brown cows, then the fifth row has a skull. Assuming you keep all brown cows in the same rows, you know that the fifth row will have a few sets of moving cows next, followed by a black cow. Then repeat.

All this makes it sound like it should be easy to go for a really high score, but I guess I'm just not that good at putting it into practice.

Also, after the game 'repeats' itself seven times, on the eighth wave there's a bug that makes the game practically unplayable...so ~35,000 +/- 1000 is the highest score you'll ever get as long as you keep track of the score rolling over.

(special bonus, not strategy related. here's a 2005 interview with Bob Whitehead, the game programmer http://www.digitpress.com/library/interviews/interview_bob_whitehead.html)

Edited by asteroidz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, fakecortex said:

My vote is to keep going since it's counted. I wonder why they even roll that low, maybe it had to do with how they coded the score display. I will be very impressed if we actually have to implement a rule.

The game doesn't roll in the traditional sense.  Even after 10,000, the difficulty continues to increase.  I'm playing this season on the emulator, which is less forgiving than the real hardware.   My high score on the real hardware is between 27,000 and 28,000.  The game gets to a point where the cows barely bump forward and that's where the long slog comes to a quick end.  The more a cow is bumped, the more stubborn it gets and the distance traveled becomes less.

Winning is a matter of controlling the chaos. I'm gonna post my game play video on Tuesday and the pattern will become apparent.

Keep at it.  The game is worth it.  ☝️ 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Scrabbler15 said:

The game doesn't roll in the traditional sense.  Even after 10,000, the difficulty continues to increase.  I'm playing this season on the emulator, which is less forgiving than the real hardware.   My high score on the real hardware is between 27,000 and 28,000.  The game gets to a point where the cows barely bump forward and that's where the long slog comes to a quick end.  The more a cow is bumped, the more stubborn it gets and the distance traveled becomes less.

Winning is a matter of controlling the chaos. I'm gonna post my game play video on Tuesday and the pattern will become apparent.

Keep at it.  The game is worth it.  ☝️ 

WOW. That's an intense score, cowboy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Deteacher said:

So, the game rolls at 10K, but the ten-thousands digit is counted by a steer's head at the bottom of the screen, followed by a 2 (for 20K) and a 3 (for 30K) etc.  So, my question is:

Do we stop at 10K for rollage, or keep going, since the ten-thousands place is recorded?  Not that I'll score that high, but asking for everyone else.  :)

We keep going! Rope those cows till... you can't rope no more!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Deteacher said:

4,253!  Probably my best score ever.  Getting the hang of corralling them, but it gets pretty hectic...fast!

Stampede (1981) (Activision)_1.png

Is playing in black and white a strategic choice? I've noticed it's easier (at least on the eyes) to play some 2600 games in black and white.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fakecortex said:

Is this based off of the code or what you've seen?

Neither ... just an analysis of the game. There are a finite number of levels. Each level has a finite amount of dogies, and thus, points. A perfectly executed level nets between 5k and 6k, leaving a theoretical ceiling of 42K if all levels yielded the upper bounds of 6K, which they don't. If you take a look at the current and former (by OldManG) world record performance, you'll see an almost-flawless execution, and both ended up with 36K.

Edited by ZilchSr
  • Like 4

OK, I'm not posting a score yet, but a comment...

I don't much care for Stampede, have said so before, tho I am over the moon in general with Activision(many of us are, I'm not "special", lol).

Barely scrabbled out a Patch Score, if reaching those wasn't a goal I may have never even played the game.

But game 8 is FANTASTIC!

Lol, I dunno why-I think I'm getting well-rounded enough to be able to tell if a game can be out thought, even if I'm not able to do so myself, and the Game 8 really seems like it takes some of the ability to "use skill" out of the equation-"Here's as hard as it gets, and best of luck to you".

Gauging your expectations going into a game seems moot, as it's just a mad free for all.

This is one of the main reasons I play in the HSC-"Oh, ok, that doesn't suck, does it?".

• Like 1

Game 8-1415

Haha! Not too bad!

I'll probably work a bit on a middling score on game 1, just to get back to this one, lol, tho it's a "bonus".

Who knew?

The (seeming, so far) randomness of the Black Angus make it a controller-thrower occasionally, ha, but you definitely CAN control the herd, to a degree.

I'm not too good-really good players I think sometimes miss some of the more simple things beginners need to know, but here ya go, specifically on game 8, but if I remember correctly it's a big part of the strategy on game one as well-

Don't really try to lasso the slower moving, darker brown Dogies(...Motherless Calves, btw).

Mostly you want to bump them ahead, hoping for almost a full top to bottom screen row of them-then, as you continue to move up and down bumping the slower ones, make a hole towards the middle for faster ones to slip through.

Pick them off, then go back to the up/down routine of bumping slower ones forward.

Rinse, repeat, as often as possible.

Crap.

I disliked this game "on purpose", tho it's one of my Best Friend's favorite and best games, but it's growing on me as to why someone would play a video game with cows in it, I suppose...

:D

2600StampedeGame81415.png

• Like 2