IGNORED

The Official Sega Saturn Thread!

There's an official Neo Geo thread, an official TurboGrafx-16 thread, the Genesis and Mega Drive has its own entire section, and even the Nuon has its own thread.

Why wasn't there one main thread for the Saturn?

I just got a beautiful Skeleton Saturn today and played the Saturn for the first time in my life, so I think it's time we had a nice thread like the others for this awesome system. I'll be honest and say that I am extremely new to the Saturn community since I've only had it for like an hour, but I'll try to keep the thread as updated as I can with the latest Saturn news.

• Like 5

I bought all mine BITD and often I got them used, so not that expensive! I'm pretty sure I paid $40 to import Radiant Silvergun, for example. 

I just noticed, a few of my used Saturn games have "Video Game Exchange / Do not remove! Ruins CD games" stickers on the label side.  I've always been afraid to use goo-gone to remove them! 

Good thing MODE is coming very soon! I really like seeing the disc spinning around in there (it's super crazy!), but I'll be sad when I rip the disc drive out to put the MODE in there and not be able to see the disc spinning.

Anyway, I'm looking for any sort of recommendations. So far, I have both Thunder Force Gold Packs and Thunder Force V.

I'm planning on getting Radiant Silvergun, of course, but also the Sega arcade ports, both Panzer Dragoons, Sakura Taisen 1 and 2, maybe Sonic Jam, maybe Dracula X, Virtua Cop + the light gun, maybe Metal Slug, and I think a few more that I can't think of right now. Time to go watch Game Sack again, I think.

Anyway, this system is super awesome and I'm glad I bought one.

I forgot about Batsugun. Need to find that one, as well. Anyway, thanks for the recommendations.

Also need to figure out the proper OSSC settings for this thing and its different resolutions. I found that the image was extremely dark and I had to use the brightness switch on the cable to get it to a normal level of brightness. Looks pretty good now using my Mega Drive's 320 pixel OSSC profile for the most part for the Gold Packs, but it needs optimization for the Saturn.

I didn't get one until much later, but I worked in Target's Electronics section back in the day when these were being sold.  I still remember going into receiving at Christmas time and seeing several pallets of Nintendo 64s, Playstations, and Saturns.  I've posted it elsewhere I believe, but here's a scan of some of the promotional brochures and a letter from Sega to retailers that I scanned a while back.  I file these under "Extremely rare, but probably worthless."  lol

https://imgur.com/gallery/2ZX4upv

• Like 1

I've owned my Saturn since January 96.  It's PAL but I got it region modded in 98 after being given Elevator Action Returns.  I used to have about 60 PAL games but sold most off and was planning to sell the console too about 2 years ago. I'm glad I didn't as I suddenly got into playing shmups and I have bought a few for the console since.  I have about 10 PAL and 40 Japanese games now. 

Pretty neat Saturn literature and ephemera there! The game Black Fire caught my eye... can't say I really remember it. Looked it up on YT, and while the poster comments that it's an "awful game in just about every aspect" - couldn't help but think of Jaguar's Cybermorph, Hoverstrike, Aircars, etc. Get the feeling that had Black Fire been released for the Jaguar, we'd still be touting how awesome and impressive it was.  :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Parents got me a Saturn for Christmas of 96. Came with the promo with Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter2, Daytona USA, and the Bootleg Sampler. Also got Sonic 3D Blast, and Sega Rally for it that Christmas. For about 20 years those were the only games I ever got to play on the Saturn, I never knew anyone else that had one. It wasn't until a few years ago I got Tomb Raider and a Nascar game, and then about 6 months ago I found out about flashing an Action Replay with Pseudo Saturn Kai. So now I have a whole mess of burnt games.

23 hours ago, Eltigro said:

I didn't get one until much later, but I worked in Target's Electronics section back in the day when these were being sold.  I still remember going into receiving at Christmas time and seeing several pallets of Nintendo 64s, Playstations, and Saturns.  I've posted it elsewhere I believe, but here's a scan of some of the promotional brochures and a letter from Sega to retailers that I scanned a while back.  I file these under "Extremely rare, but probably worthless."  lol

https://imgur.com/gallery/2ZX4upv

I highly doubt these are worthless. They are still relevant to documenting the Saturn's history, and I've always liked this kind of thing. It's easy to look back and remember how it was for the older people, but I honestly don't remember much from back then aside from some of the TV commercials with the bald lady with the rings around her head. The Saturn was gone in my area before I could even remember and the PS1 and N64 took over very quickly, and to this day I've never actually met an American who had a Saturn as far as I know.

Anyway, if anyone here is wondering about the Retro-Bit 2.4GHz Saturn controller, it's pretty awesome. I've had it for a few months and used it on my Mega Drive, Mega Sg, Mega Drive Mini, PC, and even my PC Engine mini, but today I played Thunder Force V with it on my CRT. I am extremely happy to say that it's very good, even on a CRT! I honestly can't tell any difference between using it on the CRT and on my PC monitor (5ms response time) through the OSSC. I'm sure that if I compared it with the wired controller side-by-side I'd maybe notice a difference, but I'm not sensitive to input lag anyway. Maybe try it if you're interested in it.

• Like 1

I got my Japanese Saturn from my mother last Christmas and it's already my favorite 90s system. My favorite game out of my (small) collection is Fighting Vipers (Japanese version of course. Who doesn't want to play as Pepsiman?) although X-men Vs. Street Fighter and SotN will probably be my next purchases.

• Like 1

I still have my original Saturn from the early launch, but the laser finally gave out. So it's now waiting for a MODE.

It's too much of a gamble to buy replacement lasers and I don't want to have to potentially calibrate one for each Saturn I have that needs one.

ok, Saturn brain dump:

I don't know if this was anyone else's experience, but for me the launch of the Saturn came as a surprise. It was just kind of TADAAA..showed up at the stores all of a sudden. :lol:   I was still in "Get every console" mode (which phased out in the PS2 era) so I quickly snagged one. 

In my collection (which was mostly bought during its heyday) I'm about 50/50 jap & us releases.  Even though I had a US console, Japanese releases were easier for me to get at home, so I didn't have to import Radiant Silvergun for example, I simply waited for it to show up at retail. Sadly, one of my sadder stories is that very copy of R Silvergun was later stolen out of my luggage on a trip to the states, and I could never bring myself to paying more than retail for another one. 

Nowadays I haven't touched my Saturn in years.. too long to remember. I am slightly intrigued by the MODE to have every Saturn game on a hard drive and just turn it on if and when I get the urge. But then I wonder.. if I haven't felt the need to fire it up for so long, is there really a need? I don't know. 

And lastly here's a Dragon Force I found around 2001 at Half Price Books for less than 5 bucks. I already had the game but even then I knew that was too good a deal to pass up. I even took a pic at the time :lol: 

Dragon_Force.jpg

• Like 3

Great system. I've owned one since 2002, and I'm a fan of *gasp* the dreaded domestic library. I've never imported anything, despite the mantra that has always been "you gotta import if wanna play Saturn". I don't agree with that. Galactic Attack, Darius Gaiden, Solar Eclipse, Panzer Dragoon... there's plenty of great games where you shoot at stuff, right here with the domestic library. Besides, I'm not that much of a shooter junkie that I need like 20 of them on one system.

My current library is about 80 titles deep, and I've got most of what I've ever wanted for it. Lotta cool stuff on the system, probably the most underrated consoles of all time really and I feel like it's still majorly slept on. Like it's more of a collector's item than something people discover and actually play, which is too bad. It deserved better than the mass neglect it suffered back in the day too. Why did nobody buy this thing?? It still baffles me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

The whole thing about importing games was that most Japanese versions of the games were a lot cheaper... especially for shoot 'em ups.

After a point, yes, but it originally stemmed from the late '90s and early '00s where it wasn't more expensive to buy the US versions of many of those games, like its shoot 'em ups. The idea of importing was more so to get the cream of the crop when it came to its library, tracking down the good stuff that never made it overseas.

Edited by Austin

Well, I just accidentally ordered a sealed, completely unused copy of the limited edition version of Sakura Taisen because I clicked on the wrong button on Amazon when I went to check the shipping cost and speed. Oops. Good thing it's only 3000 yen and I was thinking of buying it anyway, so I'm not going to cancel! I got type B. Better mousepad than type A, anyway, so I'm not complaining!

I don't know if I want to open it, though... I may just get another opened copy, especially since there are multiple copies there for literally 1 yen (plus 450~ yen shipping), so I doubt I will open it.

Edited by Steven Pendleton