IGNORED

Panasonic 3DO FZ-1 Problem

17 minutes ago, oakcitycomics said:

The boot loop it related to the CD drive. Most likely you have a broken gear on the drive shaft. Laser is detecting a CD but the broken gear is preventing it from moving to position so it boot loops. 

Ah ok I will have to open it to have a look. Where could I find a spare one of those?

Many Thanks

On 6/2/2020 at 7:18 PM, djrodderz said:

Ah ok I will have to open it to have a look. Where could I find a spare one of those?

Many Thanks

A guy on ebay sells a 3d printed version. Otherwise you can change out both the drive gear and the moto gear with any off the shelf part but you will have to do both so they will lock in. A 3rd option is to take the gear off and if its just a hairline crack you can superglue it back. Just make sure you wash it well to remove any gear grease so the glue will stick. 

Could also do what I did for my large format printer (that UPS dropped).

Get some cornstarch and bathroom grade silicone caulk and make a protoputty mold of the cracked gear, then cast a replacement in the resulting mold out of either UV cure resin or slow setting epoxy.

If the gear has shorn off teeth, do above but only form mold around the good teeth and leave the bad teeth unmolded. Rotate the gear in the resulting mold so that the broken tooth area is then in the molded area, then cast the missing teeth back on using the resin or epoxy.  Then mold the whole gear again and cast the replacement.

Edited by wierd_w

• 2 weeks later...