IGNORED

Lynx worth fixing?

fred

I have a Lynx I that’s been in storage for a while now. I took it out. It worked with batteries. I wanted it to be a more permanent part of my game room so I bought an official Lynx AC Adapter. I attached a picture of it. Once it arrived, I plugged it in and it worked. The sound was cracking and kinda going in and out, but it worked. I turned it off and left it plugged in. I came back a few days later, and it didn’t work. When I push the power button, I hear a very tiny noise like it wants to power on. 

I was thinking about getting the system recapped with a McWill screen before this happened. Any idea what is wrong with this system? Would a recap work?

I also have a Lynx II with a similar problem. I tried using a universal AC Adapter, were you have to select the voltage. The system would not turn on. I’m not sure if it died in storage or if the AC Adapter killed it. The system also had no sound. I bought it with the volume wheel broken. I may sell it for parts.

I know there are some handy people around here. Are these worth salvaging or sell for parts? Also, I’m not handy so I would have to send it to someone to get it fixed.

D9DD9BA9-0C61-49EC-A2E4-9A857D128C7C.jpeg

Edited by fred

On 5/30/2020 at 5:40 PM, joeatari1 said:

Lynx worth fixing?

All Lynxs are worth fixing!

yeah, defintely

also official lynx power supplies have really high failure rates in my experience, I've owned like 7 or 8 of them and only 1 ever work

I would say don't go with a adjustable universal adapter, a 9 volt 1 amp 3.5mm x 1.35 mm tip positive adapter will do the job

It's more safe to use rechargeable batteries instead of AC adaptor based on transformer. If adaptor fails it can give you too high voltage which may destroy the console. This problem apply to any electronic hardware which is being supply by transformer adaptor.

Hi all Lynx gamers,

I just wanted to post a bit of what was in the New York Times today in regards to older technology.  I'm a Lynx fan and this article, of which I'm only going to repeat the very first part, made me proud and excited concerning our Atari Lynx Game Units.

What's Old Can Be New Again

By Ellen Rosen

Manufacturing has been hard hit by the coronavirus outbreak.  Apart from the devastating health impact on employees, the pandemic has upended the supply chain and caused drastic declines in demand as the economy faltered.

The fragility may ultimately benefit a small, but often unsung, subsector of industry; remanufacturing.  The practice, at its core, involves taking products of components, whether in disrepair or at the end of their useful lives, and converting them to a like-new condition.  Accomplished through a variety of processes and advanced by new technologies like 3-D printing, products as small as a coffee maker (or Atari Lynx Game Units) and as large as a medical imaging machine can now be upgraded.  Rather than recycling or merely refurbishing the item to its original state, the process also enhances the product to make it comport with the latest technology.

Our Lynx gaming devices fall squarely into this conversation.  I mean look at what is being developed for a 30 year old system!  New screens from McWill & Benn Venn, 3 SD based mullti-carts (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8xvMrDQqM0) and new games almost every year plus some excellent demos that show what this svelt beast can really do.  I am very excited to be part of the Atari Lynx community so to answer the question: Is the Lynx worth fixing?  Absolutely!

Thank you for letting me share my excitement.

23 hours ago, Fred Olivas said:

Hi all Lynx gamers,

I just wanted to post a bit of what was in the New York Times today in regards to older technology.  I'm a Lynx fan and this article, of which I'm only going to repeat the very first part, made me proud and excited concerning our Atari Lynx Game Units.

What's Old Can Be New Again

By Ellen Rosen

Manufacturing has been hard hit by the coronavirus outbreak.  Apart from the devastating health impact on employees, the pandemic has upended the supply chain and caused drastic declines in demand as the economy faltered.

The fragility may ultimately benefit a small, but often unsung, subsector of industry; remanufacturing.  The practice, at its core, involves taking products of components, whether in disrepair or at the end of their useful lives, and converting them to a like-new condition.  Accomplished through a variety of processes and advanced by new technologies like 3-D printing, products as small as a coffee maker (or Atari Lynx Game Units) and as large as a medical imaging machine can now be upgraded.  Rather than recycling or merely refurbishing the item to its original state, the process also enhances the product to make it comport with the latest technology.

Our Lynx gaming devices fall squarely into this conversation.  I mean look at what is being developed for a 30 year old system!  New screens from McWill & Benn Venn, 3 SD based mullti-carts (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8xvMrDQqM0) and new games almost every year plus some excellent demos that show what this svelt beast can really do.  I am very excited to be part of the Atari Lynx community so to answer the question: Is the Lynx worth fixing?  Absolutely!

Thank you for letting me share my excitement.

I sent my Lynx to someone on EBay to get the McWill screen installed, so it will live again!

I do think it is super cool that new upgrades are being built and new games being released. It is keeping retro gaming, and a part of history alive.