IGNORED

Atari Freezer 2011 Declare Interest Thread

santosp

Hello to all the 8-bit community. ;-)

I has take the decision to start to produce the "Turbo Freezer 2011" again. I am already with communication with Hias "the owner of this" about my intentions and have his consent to that.

Pcb was designed back in 2017, and stay in my drawer all this years. My initial thought was the pcb to become at the size of a cartridge shell. Specific to fit on a colorful shell like the Atari Max.

Now for some reason Steven Tucker isn't available, so it will be needed to me find some other shell and redesign the pcb to fit on this.

The original adapters for XL/XE series will still exist and supplied together.

So to give you the complete picture, the offer is for the sell a Atari Freezer 2011 pcb with a plastic shell, followed by the two classic adapters for use on XL and XE Atari's.

Technically speaking will be a small 4 layer circuit board, for the first time with one ic of 1MB RAM versus the previous 2 x 512KB. Adapter boards will be the same as in original project, with "gold fingers" in edges.

An estimated cost to make this possible is around $ 70 - $ 75 plus postage. To be this range price possible I will need to order components to construct 100 pieces. Of these, at least 80% should be distributed here.

So here I would like to ask you to express your true interest in whether you need such a device and exactly how many pieces. Please post only those who really want at least one such device. The cost of production is meager for me, and I would like to know if it's worth it to embark on such a big adventure.

Thank you all, Panos

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I don't know why there is a new thread now, but, again, I'd be interested in at least one, maybe two when more is known about the design and on which models it can be used (XL only or XL/XE; I don't really understand which one is meant by "pcb with a plastic shell, followed by the two classic adapters for use on XL and XE Atari's")

6 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

First I’ve heard of it. What is it?

Also, I have to bite. Is the PCB was designed in 2017, why is it called Atari Freezer 2011?

Bob, here's a Video...

Some of the claims Nir makes may be slightly questionable under multi load games and cart protection...Not sure if it protects carts from over-writes?

Hello Panos

Sometimes Steven (AtariMax) answers in days, sometimes it takes ages.  I've ordered empty cartridge shells from him just in case somebody needs them here in Europe.  I still have about 70 left, red and light blue.

Or you can contact Sikor, he is reproducing Atari cartridge shells.

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by Mathy
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Bob, here's a Video...

Some of the claims Nir makes may be slightly questionable under multi load games and cart protection...Not sure if it protects carts from over-writes?

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Oh, and it's Byron, but I've answered to a whole lot worse than Bob over the years.

Edited by bfollowell

Let's do some things clearer.

1. This production if it's finally done, will include both adapter boards for use with XE/XL Atari's for each buyer. It will sold as a full packet in the price mentioned before.

2. @freetz  Is mean that you will receive one complete device built inside a plastic shell, plus the two pcb adapters needed to connect it on a Atari XE either XL series.  Also I made a new thread because the previous one isn't mine, and maybe things have changed now about the interest of the members.

3. @jamm  The previous version was designed also by me. In fact the first design that ever hapened for this device in one pcb was made by me in 2016. After a while time because I was not excited with the original plastic shell -was to big for my newer pcb design-  I tried a new design with a more smaller pcb to fit in a small cartridge. To be this possible all the components are in smd form, and especially the ic of main ram has been  converted in one component of 1MB, versus the two components of 512 KB in all the previous versions. This happen in 2017.

4.  @Mathy Thank you.

• Like 2