IGNORED

Atari Freezer 2011 Declare Interest Thread

santosp

10 hours ago, bfollowell said:

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Oh, and it's Byron, but I've answered to a whole lot worse than Bob over the years.

Oops, my apols Bryon...Sorry, I know a Bob Follet and I glance quickly at your name and think Bob :)

Question: regarding XE models without ECI port:

The manual says: "... (mainly 65 XE) which do not have an ECI port. These models only have a “Cartridge” port and have no “Expansion” port. The freezer can unfortunately not be used with these XE models."

Is it possible for an user to cut the Adapter Board (see below) and build a custom connector from the ECI part to a new port in the Atari? (like for example the AVG Cart, that has a custom connector to the SIO). The question is whether it is technically possible for a 65XE with no ECI port.

Adapter Board:

20908743_TurboFreezer.png.b75bae6896abbbaec2b69c25b28d14a2.png

AVG Cart custom connector:

1971569386_AVGcart.jpg.1bd23644e73cd3f494939b01de35c39d.jpg

7 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

Quick question:

1. Is this the latest design?

2. Would the XL-adapter board have an IDC/50 FEMALE connector?

Thanks!

1. Yes

2. Yes it have. This will solder in the bottom of pcb, as you see the picture. Is a 2x25 pin edge connector. Near the final result is the picture below.

gallery_23371_1628_1341187.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tane said:

Question: regarding XE models without ECI port:

The manual says: "... (mainly 65 XE) which do not have an ECI port. These models only have a “Cartridge” port and have no “Expansion” port. The freezer can unfortunately not be used with these XE models."

Is it possible for an user to cut the Adapter Board (see below) and build a custom connector from the ECI part to a new port in the Atari? (like for example the AVG Cart, that has a custom connector to the SIO). The question is whether it is technically possible for a 65XE with no ECI port.

You gave me an excellent idea. I will add a 2 rows * 5 pin idc connector there with the missing signals. But after that, its up to you to find and solder the needed points inside your Atari. 

Thanks for your addition!

Edited by santosp
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I show interest.

56 minutes ago, santosp said:

You gave me an excellent idea. I will add a 2 rows * 5 pin idc connector there with the missing signals. But after that, its up to you to find and solder the needed points inside your Atari. 

Thanks for your addition!

Thanks. I'm guessing the 65XE with no ECI port, is not missing something special and is just as simple as to make connections for creating an ECI port.

Other hardware idea:

Sometimes tempted to make internal installations. Usually there is very few space and there are spaghettis everywhere. Being that it's required to change the battery time to time, it would be a challenge to find the battery slot, and there is a chance of destroy something. So an extension like the following would be useful to build a satellite, but the main board would require 2 holes for connection.

2651605_CR2032extension.png.53b8cbd35a661b6c9fad3f36ef57a017.png

Regarding software ideas:

The following screen called RAMDSK is supposed to be where you save and load a game in one of the 16 slots (0 to F in hexadecimal). I'm guessing that after saving 5 or more different slots, a day after it would be difficult to remember each position, and you have to load one by one until you find what you're looking for, or unfortunately save something in an already used position, losing its content.

1635561512_TurboFreezerRamdisk.thumb.png.e297e3404f370365c3e3540c053ed8b6.png

Being that there are many different menus already developed, maybe a "copy & paste" of an interface would be helpful:

977154071_TurboFreezerslots.png.89e933f4912adc713cfb225407d84869.png

Another ideas: Color selection:

Maybe an user would like to choose their favorite color, and instead of "XL" in the title, they would prefer "XE" for their 800XE / 65XE 130XE.

1705598403_TurboFreezerblue.png.49789932920f94ecad5684a268231430.png  1682913876_TurboFreezerred.png.625aa4fa1ee7cc0c9b7de2ee78bc4aa9.png  1618048674_TurboFreezeryellow.png.42b443608b3f02cb9cb1cf3f19c9cb43.png

Edited by tane
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, tf_hh said:

Count me in for 2 or 3 pcs

I wished we could combine one day the bells and whistles of Syscheck AND this Freezer. A freezer with the possibility of external OS ROMS (not only OSB) would be awesome. And as long as I am asking, a way of making a real PBI harddisk from a MyIDE or SIDE2 cart (just like U1MB can do with SIDE2 would be awesome as well).

Anyhow I am interested in 3 of these. But I am very unhandy so I can not built it into a case myself. Did I understand right you only deliver PCB?

Oh and please tripple check the resistor value on the LS123 ph2 circuit. I had to change resistors to let the Freezer work on my XE's remember...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marius said:

I wished we could combine one day the bells and whistles of Syscheck AND this Freezer. A freezer with the possibility of external OS ROMS (not only OSB) would be awesome. And as long as I am asking, a way of making a real PBI harddisk from a MyIDE or SIDE2 cart (just like U1MB can do with SIDE2 would be awesome as well).

Anyhow I am interested in 3 of these. But I am very unhandy so I can not built it into a case myself. Did I understand right you only deliver PCB?

Oh and please tripple check the resistor value on the LS123 ph2 circuit. I had to change resistors to let the Freezer work on my XE's remember...

Hi Marius,

thanks for your contribution with all these info's. Every device will be come complete with its plastic shell and with the needed cuts for the 5 switches, the tactile switch and leds. Yes the correct resistor value have added.

:?:Although I need an info from your device. Can you measure and respond back here, about the size of black spacers on bottom of XE and XL adapters?

15 hours ago, santosp said:

Hi Marius,

thanks for your contribution with all these info's. Every device will be come complete with its plastic shell and with the needed cuts for the 5 switches, the tactile switch and leds. Yes the correct resistor value have added.

:?:Although I need an info from your device. Can you measure and respond back here, about the size of black spacers on bottom of XE and XL adapters?

OH that is a good one. I remember the spacers were not on all pcb in the right size. I will look them up (the right) ones and give you the detailed information as soon as possible. Great to see you are working on Freezers again. Your quality is absolutely OUTSTANDING. 

• Like 2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qLuxCp1LCn36wCrq5

Those are pictures from the PANOS-remake freezers with info. Please let me know if you need more info. If you need the info from the original Abbuc freezer, let me know.

Oh and do you remember the switches worked in the 'wrong' direction compared to the original in those remake freezers. Perhaps another thing to look at carefully for the new design. 

original freezer 2011:
switches to right is 'on' position

remake freezer panos:

switches to left is 'on' position

• Like 3