IGNORED

Magical Fairy Force Release Thread

Ryan Witmer

1 minute ago, Crazy Climber said:

I can't stop hoarding them...every time I see one for under 20 bucks I nab it lol.

I wish I could them. I have four and it’s taken quite some time for me just to get the four. I need to move closer to you.

2 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

I need a backup 1702 monitor.  

@Crazy Climber Your older (VHF/UHF knobs, wood grain) CRTs are sweet.

I have a 1702, an 1802, a 2003 27" Toshiba that does composite, S-video and component; a 2004 29" Toshiba that does the same; a 1987 Apple Color Composite Monitor; a 2001-ish Sylvania 17" TV; and just tonight I made arrangements for an Atari SC1224 RGB monitor.

So I do have options, lol. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

I have a 1702, an 1802, a 2003 27" Toshiba that does composite, S-video and component; a 2004 29" Toshiba that does the same; a 1987 Apple Color Composite Monitor; a 2001-ish Sylvania 17" TV; and just tonight I made arrangements for an Atari SC1224 RGB monitor.

So I do have options, lol. 

I have a 2002 14” Toshiba (14AF42) that does composite, component and S-video. That’s my daily driver. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

I have a 2002 14” Toshiba (14AF42) that does composite, component and S-video. That’s my daily driver. 

I've become convinced that these early-Aughts Toshiba CRTs are the hidden gems of the CRT world. Everyone and their brother are off hawking kidneys and mortgaging their kids for Trinitrons(*) and PVMs, but Toshibas are damn fine picture tubes and you can usually get them for free (both mine were) if you search for local give-away sites or ask your friends if they have any old TV's sitting around in storage they need to get rid of.

(*) Still crying a little inside over the last CRT I bought new as a living room set - a 1999 36" Trinitron that I have away around 2006 or 2007. JFC, what was I thinking? Of course, it did weigh damn near 200 pounds. ? 

Toshiba's have a great picture. I'd still like to add a 20 - 27" Trinitron to the collection, but I do like the Toshiba's. I also have a back up 20" RCA (20F510TD) with Composite and S-video. The picture is pretty good, but not as good the Toshiba's. Having said that, the best picture in my lot comes from the Commodore 1702. I love that thing and use it on occasion, because I only have one. 

36 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

The Toshiba's have a great picture. I'd still like to add a 20 - 27" Trinitron to the collection, but I do like the Toshiba's. I also have a back up 20" RCA (20F510TD) with Composite and S-video. The picture is pretty good, but not as good the Toshiba's. Having said that, the best picture in my lot comes from the Commodore 1702. I love that thing and use it on occasion, because I only have one. 

Agree with all of this; Toshiba's are generally great and go under the radar. At least you have one 1702; it is the one monitor I've not come across in the past 15 years. Just one near miss last year...

1 minute ago, McCallister said:

Agree with all of this; Toshiba's are generally great and go under the radar. At least you have one 1702; it is the one monitor I've not come across in the past 15 years. Just one near miss last year...

My 1702 is a gem as well. I got it about 3 years ago on eBay for about $75. I hate the idea of shipping CRTs these days but it came packed inside one box with custom-cut foam inserts to support it, and all the empty space filled with bubble wrap. Then THAT box was placed inside a second box supported by cut-cardboard support ribs and the empty space again filled with bubble wrap and some newspaper to fill any gaps. I cannot praise a shipper highly enough who will go through that kind of trouble!

My 1802 was a freebie from a friend - it was his monitor as a kid with his Coleco Adam (!). The computer was long gone but he still had the monitor. It really needs recapping and adjustment for some geometry issues but it's okay. I don't have a problem working on nearly any of my vintage stuff, but CRTs scare the bejeezus out of me. I don't like the idea of a tube that can build up enough static sitting around unplugged to still kill me, lol. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

but CRTs scare the bejeezus out of me. I don't like the idea of a tube that can build up enough static sitting around unplugged to still kill me, lol

This. I’ll open nearly any electronic device,  other than a CRT.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, McCallister said:

At least you have one 1702; it is the one monitor I've not come across in the past 15 years. Just one near miss last year...

Unfortunately they are not getting any cheaper. Hope you find one soon. They all seem to be well made, built to last.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

@AverageSoftware The game looked great on ZPH last night. Can’t wait to get it. My son and I will have another 5200 game to play head-to-head with two trak-ball controllers.?

Thanks.  It was definitely fun to watch.  It's too bad they couldn't completely solve the controller issues though.

• Like 1

I played around with the game on Altirra just using the arrow keys for controls, and it seem to control good enough for me. I defeated two or three opponents in that play session. I watched the ZPH show too, I really like the unique special moves that each character has. I also thought it was cool that you included the alligators from Ratcatcher as one character's special moves. It takes a couple play Throughs to understand exactly what’s Going on and what the gauges mean.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, David Alexander said:

Hopefully I will be able to track down a signed copy one day..

I'll sign anything anyone puts in front of me.  Doesn't even need to be my game.  I have an extra Super Breakout I can sign for you.

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

Not entirely 5200 related, but certainly Magical Fairy Force related:

This is the first of a series of preview videos for Magical Fairy Force: Champion Edition, the expanded PC version of the game.  It will be the first game under my new label of Phaser Cat Games (website under construction) and will hopefully be available on major PC distribution platforms.  Looking at Steam and GOG to start with, and we'll see where we go from there.

The 5200 version of Magical Fairy Force will be the last game released under the Average Software name.  My main focus is going to be PC software, because that's where the money is, but I'm not abandoning the 5200.  I've already started a new 5200 game (it's my weekend project) and once it's far enough along to matter I'll post some information about it here.  Some lucky people on the Discord chat have seen it already.

• Like 2