IGNORED

Just went through all my games...

82-T/A

They *ALL* worked... except for Impulse-X... couldn't get it to start. The Jaguar won't even turn on... I put the cartridge in, hit the power button, and nothing. What could this be? What is it specifically that the Jaguar is looking for on the board before it attempts to start a game? Is it just bad contacts?

I counted a total of 117 cartridge games. Only two sets of duplicates, I have two Dooms (for multiplayer), and then Cybermorph 1mb and Cybermorph 2mb. I couldn't tell a difference at all.

20200529_215028.jpg

I've had problems with a few carts before that just didn't have a good fit in the cart slot. One was Power Drive Rally, which I could only get to work by wedging the manual into the slot area to put more pressure on the contacts, and the other was Ultra Vortek, which I couldn't get to work no matter what I did. Does the Impulse X cart seem to have a slightly different fit than your other carts? That was the common characteristic between the two carts I had problems with.

11 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

What is it specifically that the Jaguar is looking for on the board before it attempts to start a game? Is it just bad contacts?

The only thing needed for the Jaguar to turn on is two shorted contacts on the cartridge, so yes, it's bad contacts.

• Like 1

There are several threads here on the Cybermorph differences, I seem to remember the 1mb has less Skylar speech. And maybe something about animation in the intro? I guess I could've searched myself in the time it took to write this...

14 hours ago, Sauron said:

I've had problems with a few carts before that just didn't have a good fit in the cart slot. One was Power Drive Rally, which I could only get to work by wedging the manual into the slot area to put more pressure on the contacts, and the other was Ultra Vortek, which I couldn't get to work no matter what I did. Does the Impulse X cart seem to have a slightly different fit than your other carts? That was the common characteristic between the two carts I had problems with.

Power Drive Rally is the same one I've had issues with.  I usually could get it to work by not always shoving it into the slot all the way, though that occasionally didn't work as well.  probably just wiggling the cart around would make it work.  Probably one of my favorite games on the Jag though.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sauron said:

It does fit a little different, but... I noticed that the leads on the board are not equal-length. Some are shorter than others. I've seen this before on MCA/micro-channel boards from back in the day on the IBM... but don't think I ever noticed this before on Jaguar games...

8 hours ago, madman said:

There are several threads here on the Cybermorph differences, I seem to remember the 1mb has less Skylar speech. And maybe something about animation in the intro? I guess I could've searched myself in the time it took to write this...

Why would I search, when I have Madman to give me the answer?

51 minutes ago, 82-T/A said:

It does fit a little different, but... I noticed that the leads on the board are not equal-length. Some are shorter than others. I've seen this before on MCA/micro-channel boards from back in the day on the IBM... but don't think I ever noticed this before on Jaguar games...

That may have been the case with the carts I had trouble with too, although I didn't think to check them at the time. I have two carts right now - Rebooteroids and Tempest 2000, and both of them have a couple of leads that are longer than the rest, so I'm not sure if that fact alone would be the cause. The difference could be in the actual size of the leads, though, or perhaps even the board. Considering the fit is a little different though, you might want to try what I did - place a bit of pressure on the front of the cart and then turn the system on to see if that makes a difference. Honestly, I'm curious now whether or not different Jags may have slight variances in the cart slots that would cause a few carts to not make good contact with the slot contacts. I know that you and I aren't the only ones who have had problems with getting certain carts to work, and I don't think the problem is just dirty contacts.

1 hour ago, 82-T/A said:

This is normal:

http://mdgames.de/jaggc2ic.htm

When in doubt, clean...clean...and clean again! I have noticed two things with carts that have given me problems (either console not turning on, red screen, or normal Jaguar screen and THEN red screen):

1. Even if you see nothing coming off on a Q-Tip with Isopropyl (99%) still scrub and scrub. I have had "dirty" carts that seem to exhibit no dirt on the swab, but work fine after a bunch of scrubbing

2. If you have a CompuCleaner, blow it into the cart. This is a plug in air cleaner that is not compressed air. I don't know why this is, but I have had carts that would not work at all and after using this high powered plug in air cleaner and blowing it into the cart..bingo it works fine. Maybe dust in the internals? This is what I use..one of the best purchases I had made this year:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RKYWBD2/ref=twister_B07B89C1YG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

My brother's Jaguar will not power on what-so-ever. It was known to work a few years ago, and recently when trying it out again, just won't power. No cart can get it to do anything. Too lazy or just don't care enough so we haven't investigated any further into it. I convinced him to let me try his untested Jag CD on my working system. It put up a bit of a fuss, but about 20 minutes later I was granted admission to a working CD unit. Still not sure about his system. Could it really get that dirty after a few years of sitting on a shelf?

On 5/31/2020 at 8:51 AM, Warmsignal said:

My brother's Jaguar will not power on what-so-ever. It was known to work a few years ago, and recently when trying it out again, just won't power. No cart can get it to do anything. Too lazy or just don't care enough so we haven't investigated any further into it. I convinced him to let me try his untested Jag CD on my working system. It put up a bit of a fuss, but about 20 minutes later I was granted admission to a working CD unit. Still not sure about his system. Could it really get that dirty after a few years of sitting on a shelf?

Yes, it can?

Mine are removed from their boxes and stored on a nice wall mounted shelf for easy access. I never keep games in their cardboard boxes. It is destructive to the cardboard boxes to keep opening and closing them each time you want to play a game...not to mention annoying. If I kept them in their boxes I would probably rarely play them ;)

On 5/30/2020 at 10:59 PM, eightbit said:

1. Even if you see nothing coming off on a Q-Tip with Isopropyl (99%) still scrub and scrub. I have had "dirty" carts that seem to exhibit no dirt on the swab, but work fine after a bunch of scrubbing

This fixed it. Took a while, but it started working again after a couple of times of putting it in, and pulling out. Haha... that sounds funny. I just found it funny that this cart was like that since I didn't have any issues with any of the others. I did have problems with my Cannon Fodder cartridge a couple of years ago.

7 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

And some people think i'm weird for wanting to put my carts in nice protective clamshells with art inserts...poor carts  

6 hours ago, Warmsignal said:

All my games live CIB and on dedicated shelf, if possible.

5 hours ago, eightbit said:

Mine are removed from their boxes and stored on a nice wall mounted shelf for easy access. I never keep games in their cardboard boxes. It is destructive to the cardboard boxes to keep opening and closing them each time you want to play a game...not to mention annoying. If I kept them in their boxes I would probably rarely play them ;)

Yeah, on this... I used to keep all my games in their original packaging. Kind of like they were all little trophies of some kind of unknown accomplishment. I kept all my games on book shelves... including my huge DOS video game collection. I had every Ultima game in the original packaging, every Sierra game... you name it. I had all my NES games, Atari games, Jaguar, whatever.

Then... marriage, then kids, and then a career that has me moving around every 3-4 years... and I got tired of it. To each their own, but it seemed like a colossal waste to me to have them sit in boxes. It took up so much room / space.

Right now, I have all the original boxes (flattened) in a larger box. I have an Attack of the Killer Mutant Penguin box (the box Atari would ship out with ~40 Attack of the Killer Mutant Penguins in), and I've got all 100+ game boxes flattened, including the white inserts flattened, with all the manuals, and all the other stuff I don't need. Having the games in bins like this, I can pull them off the shelf and play them, and put it all away when I'm done. The carts are fine though... the labels don't get damaged, and I leaf through the games carefully when I'm looking for the game I want to play.

My boxes aren't flattened. They are in box protectors with the white inserts and manuals inside of them. I keep the overlays out with the games just in case I need to reference or use them. I suppose if I had a huge collection of boxes across multiple platforms I would consider flattening them and putting them into storage to save space, but with me that is no longer the case. I only collect for the Jag now (might visit the Lynx in the future though) and I only have boxes for about half of my games.

I was never really a box collector (unless they were like Genesis or SMS style boxes) but if I get a good deal on a game with the box as opposed to without it, well I just do that. Some other times I have no choice but to get the box as either it is a game I can only find with the box or an AA store title that comes with it. In other words, not looking for the boxes but if I end up with them I do indeed save and protect them ;)

As for my games, I have a nice little wall mounted shelf in which they fit great. Not so snug as to damage labels or anything and really easy to pick a game and play. The end labels help of course :)

IMG_20200601_174944[1].jpg

• Like 2