IGNORED

hfdc, wds1 and subdirs

Hi, all!

I wanted to start using an hdd image (chd for MAME) as kind of backup / archive collection of files I create on the disk (dsk) images. But I'm stuck on the very first step: How do I create a subdir? I can't (and don't want to even if I could) store everything into the root dir. I did see a few references to something like WDS1.SUB.DIR.FILE, but how do I create SUB at WDS1 root?

Michael

• Like 1

If you don't mind setting up your hard disk structure outside the emulation, I do recommend using my TIImageTool. Everything you want should be there.

Edit:

Inside the emulation, use the MDM (Myarc Disk Manager). The operation is described on page 23 of the HFDC manual. (I hope you found the HFDC manual that I rewrote, and which is searchable: https://ftp.whtech.com/datasheets and manuals/Hardware/Myarc/MYARC HFDC Manual 4th edition.pdf). I did not find a way to create directories in BASIC. (Still, it's a mouse click with TIMT.)

Edited by mizapf
  • Like 1

You did not mention HDS1, so I presume you are setting this up for TI-99/4A use only?

If so, MDM5 allows you to make/create and remove directories.  I don't know how Fred Kaal's Disk Manager works with the HFDC, so I do not know the specifics with it.

I will add though that if you are going to use the drive on a Geneve system, use MDOS to make and remove the directories.  Use one tool, and don't mix/match anything with MDM5.  The reason I say this is that somewhere between the Eprom or MDM5, and I do not recall which, there was a bug/oversight in the directory descriptor record versus what the HFDC manual specification said it should be.  From memory, I believe the directory descriptor record should have a pointer pointing back to the previous directory.  MDOS properly implemented this while the Eprom/MDM5 did not.

You would only see this issue if you tried to remove a directory created with MDM5 while trying to do this in MDOS on a Geneve.

Beery

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mizapf said:

f you don't mind setting up your hard disk structure outside the emulation, I do recommend using my TIImageTool. Everything you want should be there.

That's how I've always done it :)

Now, I haven't tried, but it seems to me if you wanted to create one within emulation, you could just save the file:

SAVE WDS1.SUB1.SUB2.FILENAME

Please do correct me if I'm wrong and that SUB1 and SUB2 would NOT be created by such an action.

5 hours ago, mizapf said:

If you don't mind setting up your hard disk structure outside the emulation, I do recommend using my TIImageTool. Everything you want should be there.

It is fully ok to edit the structure outside the emulation. In fact I did have used your tool already, but used it for chd creation only or so. (Not sure, actual chd might be a result from the imgtool of the MAME package.) I have to admit that I was a bit stuck to TI99Dir while jogging disk images in and out. Unf. that tool exits with a runtime error on some dsk images and I didn't see a way to use chd images yet. I still like the "Norton Commander" like two filelist view, though... But I have totally overlooked the file manipulation possibilites of your tool, I'm afraid. I just had a quick peek at it and it seems to go in the right direction.

4 hours ago, BeeryMiller said:

I will add though that if you are going to use the drive on a Geneve system, use MDOS to make and remove the directories.  Use one tool, and don't mix/match anything with MDM5.

Thanks for not only the warning but the explanation, too. I just read that warning in the ReadMe of the MDM5 and now I know what it is about.

Yep, I will be using the dsk and chd (DSK1 and WDS1) on the TI99/4a side only. I have absolutely no experience with the Geneve and am right now struggling enough to resemble my 80s knowledge of that 4a machine. Later on I definitely will have a look at cards I don't know yet and the Geneve is one of them, of course, too.

Michael