IGNORED

Eric Chahi Podcast Interview - Creator of Another World

Adriano Arcade

The Another World creator and Delphine legend sat down with me to discuss his amazing career. He reflects on creating Another World, how his mood and loneliness seeped into his creation and whether we may see a sequel. Plus many more great stories around the game. He also has a quick chat about the Jaguar port of Another World.

He also discusses his love for the Amiga, Heart of Darkness and his new game Paper Beast.

I would be honoured if you gave the podcast and listen. Any feedback would be appreciated.

https://link.chtbl.com/QH30PrYR

• Like 5

This was a great interview of a very important figure in gaming history. (and gaming present) I quite appreciated the reverence with which you approached the interview. Well done!

Another World (or Out of this World, as it's known in this part of the world) is a super important touchstone in gaming history, and thanks to it's cinematic influence, still feels fresh today. (It's perhaps a bit hard for modern audiences, but they also have the modern benefit of walk-throughs if they get stuck.) This game is certainly in my personal top 10 influential games of all time.

I do disagree with the sentiments expressed by you and Eric about Heart of the Alien. :) I thought it was quite true to the original, both in gameplay and spirit, and honestly I was super glad to get a sequel and revisit this world and the characters. The CD based soundtrack by Jean-François Freitas (who also did the soundtrack for Another World) is beautiful, alien, and often times haunting. The ending of this game stayed with me for a few days after experiencing it, in a good and thoughtful way.  It doesn't sound like Eric will ever do a sequel, so I'm very glad this game was made. [edit: there's an open engine for this game, so a Jag port of Heart of the Alien would be possible. :ponder:]

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RevEng said:

This was a great interview of a very important figure in gaming history. (and gaming present) I quite appreciated the reverence with which you approached the interview. Well done!

Another World (or Out of this World, as it's known in this part of the world) is a super important touchstone in gaming history, and thanks to it's cinematic influence, still feels fresh today. (It's perhaps a bit hard for modern audiences, but they also have the modern benefit of walk-throughs if they get stuck.) This game is certainly in my personal top 10 influential games of all time.

I do disagree with the sentiments expressed by you and Eric about Heart of the Alien. :) I thought it was quite true to the original, both in gameplay and spirit, and honestly I was super glad to get a sequel and revisit this world and the characters. The CD based soundtrack by Jean-François Freitas (who also did the soundtrack for Another World) is beautiful, alien, and often times haunting. The ending of this game stayed with me for a few days after experiencing it, in a good and thoughtful way.  It doesn't sound like Eric will ever do a sequel, so I'm very glad this game was made. [edit: there's an open engine for this game, so a Jag port of Heart of the Alien would be possible. :ponder:]

This is lovely feedback. Thank you. Eric was such a lovely guest. Really appreciate these comments. I do need to give Heart of the Alien a little more play. I will also check out Jean-Francois music more, and hopefully try to interview him too.

• Like 2

just finished listening, very lovely interview with eric, really enjoyed it! 

you seemed to approach it with a genuine interest/admiration and i liked the fact that you had him reflect on the period in his life that led to another world's creation. i was never all that much of a gamer but i have always had a special connection with another world, it just resonated on such a deep level with me at the time, the starkness of it, the lonely ambience, the feeling of being lost in a world you are completely alien to and are struggling to make sense of and find a friend to relate to in. it was such a metaphor for that era of the early 90's, coming of age, and just life itself. i suppose a lot of this is due to the fact that i always looked at games from an artistic perspective being an artist myself, but i feel like it was an artistic statement as much as it was a game. i consider it a kind of "unknown pleasures" of video games: stark, minimal, hauntingly beautiful and so completely different from everything else around it that it seemed to come from another world.

Edited by joshua
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, joshua said:

just finished listening, very lovely interview with eric, really enjoyed it! 

you seemed to approach it with a genuine interest/admiration and i liked the fact that you had him reflect on the period in his life that led to another world's creation. i was never all that much of a gamer but i have always had a special connection with another world, it just resonated on such a deep level with me at the time, the starkness of it, the lonely ambience, the feeling of being lost in a world you are completely alien to and are struggling to make sense of and find a friend to relate to in. it was such a metaphor for that era of the early 90's, coming of age, and just life itself. i suppose a lot of this is due to the fact that i always looked at games from an artistic perspective being an artist myself, but i feel like it was an artistic statement as much as it was a game. i consider it a kind of "unknown pleasures" of video games: stark, minimal, hauntingly beautiful and so completely different from everything else around it that it seemed to come from another world.

Joshua, thank you. This is lovely feedback. I am a huge fan of the game. And I agree, Another World is close to art! 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 5/31/2020 at 12:14 PM, Adriano Arcade said:

The Another World creator and Delphine legend sat down with me to discuss his amazing career. He reflects on creating Another World, how his mood and loneliness seeped into his creation and whether we may see a sequel. Plus many more great stories around the game. He also has a quick chat about the Jaguar port of Another World.

He also discusses his love for the Amiga, Heart of Darkness and his new game Paper Beast.

I would be honoured if you gave the podcast and listen. Any feedback would be appreciated.

https://link.chtbl.com/QH30PrYR

Not the biggest fan of a lot of his work, though I can appreciate it. 

Does Jaguar Heart Of Darkness get covered? 

Atari being seemingly offered it.. 

I'd love to know more on that story. 

• Like 1

I don't have many game dev heroes, but Mr Chahi definitely qualifies. Another World turned the whole gaming scene upside down when it was released (unfortunately not for long) and I'm glad I was there to witness it. The man himself also seems like a genuinely good guy, so that's an added bonus.

I could wax lyrical about it for half a page, but, eh, best just leave this pic here. It's all there.

eric.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Adriano Arcade said:

I never knew about the Heart of Darkness link! What a story - if true!

It was in the various ZIP files Scott Stilphen kindly passed over for the benifit of the greater community. 

Atari were approached with the game, with the potential idea bringing it to the Jaguar, but to this day i have no idea what happened after that point. 

Ken Love of Virgin Interactive Entertainment, approached Bill Rehbock, saying he'd been speaking with Frederic of Amazing Studios and Frederic was very interested in making it for the Jaguar CD. 

Atari Documents here:https://web.archive.org/web/20181104022231/https://assemblergames.com/attachments/tmpfile_28-jpg.25827/

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 1