IGNORED

Alien vs Predator God mode

Tommywilley84

What a difference this cheat code makes. I've only been able to collect a few security cards before either dying or just giving up due to constantly getting lost and not having much of a clue where to go due to not much of a map system. I suppose I have been kind of spoiled due to owning an Xbox one and the kids owning a PS4. God mode is great for avp because I can automatically have all the security cards, be invincible and never run out of ammo. As the marine it makes for a great full on massacre. 

How gratifying it is to set that auto destruct, and because you generally know the station due to having to do some map memorization, you dash straight to that escape pod after a long struggle.  Not easy by any stretch of the imagination, but at the time, completely worth it.  Also the anxiety of facing off with the alien queen to get that last key card, a very potent gaming memory for me.

Now days, unless you are committed to that retro experience, it can definitely feel like a slog without codes.  The game relies on taking breaks in a way, as power cycling resets ammo drops.  The draw back is that this also resets all the enemies, and worst of all, your on-screen map.  The map reset was a design mistake in my opinion, and I would almost prefer not having a map teasing me with the illusion of convenience, and have the game just force me to check my position at the computer consoles.

They could have met the player halfway on this with some type of discovery threshold. For example after you discover ~%75 of the map, it just saves a bit in your save file that tells your save game to just show the whole map for a specific level the next time you load your game. This can obviously be abused when the player becomes aware of this, but would be better than nothing in my opinion.  Looking at the 128 byte eeprom data in a hex editor, it looks like they would have space to save this kind of data as well (15 maps, 1 bit per map would be ~2 bytes per save file.  6 bytes would be taken for map saving, with a few bits to spare for other things). Looks like there are some free bytes near the beginning  and the end of the eeprom, before the hash, that aren't being used after saving to all three save game slots. This is an assumption though, without digging into what data is actually being saved to eeprom...

Screw it, I am thinking about this too much, just use codes.

• Like 1

Back in the day I napped that shit out by hand and loved every minute. 

But on the flip side I cheated and downloaded the map for Alternate Reality the City yesterday, because mapping all that out by hand is just an ass whoopin.

But God mode? You don need God mode to beat it. What the he'll fun is that? Did you at least try 5x?

• Like 1

People use cheats still? I used to back in the day whenever they did funny or strange things to the game, but I never saw the point of defying the rule of any game in order to beat it. If it's giving you a license to just walk through everything without doing anything at all, then what's the point in playing?

I forgot AvP had cheat codes.   Got pretty far in it as the Marine, and just loved the Predator version.  Never solved the game.   Oh yeh, I guess I did use the codes to see all the Predator's weapons.

Codes or not, one thing is for sure, don't turn the Jaguar off or you get to kill all the enemies all over again.   That part sucks.  You think the game save information would have remembered what enemies were knocked down and which ones weren't.  ?

• Like 1

I was able to beat the Alien version without codes and the Predator version without codes but not the Marine. I finally had to use codes for the Marine but STILL could not beat it because when you set the auto self destruct regardless of how fast I am I can never seem to make it to the escape pod before it all blows up. I end up getting stuck in the elevator which seems to take me to the wrong floors vs the one I need to get to. Just not enough time to make it for me. 

14 hours ago, JagChris said:

I don't think you need to.Get in an elevator after the self destruct is activztedy. But... It's been almost 30 yrs

The switch is on a different level than the pod entrance from what I remember which is why I can't make it on time. Seems like the elevator sends me to the wrong floors to get to the pod

I have zero desire to use any cheats in AvP.  The game is all about tension and atmosphere.  If you take away the need to play carefully, conserve ammo, and watch your health, then you take away the game experience itself.

I enjoy getting lost in the game.  I played AvP to death back in the day.  But then I set it down for 16 years or so and just came back to it last year.  I had forgotten where most of the keycards were and had to map out the game by hand, from scratch. 

It was amazing.  It was easily one of the most memorable game experiences of my past five years.  Have you ever wanted to go back and experience one of your favorite games for the first time again?  This was much like that.

Regarding the self destruct sequence, you do have to switch floors.  The self destruct is on sub-level 2.  The escape pod is on sub-level 5.  It's much easier to get to your escape pod if you do a dry run just before hitting the switch, so that you can clear out all the enemies ahead of time.  With a clear path to the escape pod it's not too hard at all.

Whilst it can be fun to run around with the smart gun laying everything to waste for a quick blast I agree that the Marine scenario is all about survival rather than Doom-style action.

AvP is THE reason I bought a Jag back in '96.  I played it to death and worked out my own path through the game before the days of internet walkthroughs and even before I picked up the Jaguar Gamer's Guide.  To this day I know the Golgotha like a home from home :lol:  Many, many hours of exploration.

One or twice a year I play the Marine scenario from beginning to end in one sitting for old times sake.  Fantastic atmosphere and level design even if the frame rate is choppy by todays standard. 

On 5/31/2020 at 8:59 AM, Tommywilley84 said:

What a difference this cheat code makes. I've only been able to collect a few security cards before either dying or just giving up due to constantly getting lost and not having much of a clue where to go due to not much of a map system. I suppose I have been kind of spoiled due to owning an Xbox one and the kids owning a PS4. God mode is great for avp because I can automatically have all the security cards, be invincible and never run out of ammo. As the marine it makes for a great full on massacre. 

That sounds........fun?

I was going to ask *how* to enable God mode, but was deeply concerned I would be attacked by MadMan for not using the search function. I wasn't sure my fragile avacado-toast eating snowflake psyche could handle such a microaggression... so I looked up it up evil Google:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/jaguar/586871-alien-vs-predator/cheats

I plan to cheat, and cheat badly... and I'm going to do so while eating Chick-fil-A and drinking Starbucks.

... and in case the evil imperialist governments take down the website:

You must first activate cheat mode (hold pause + option, press 1 + 3, then press 2 + 5 + 7 + 9).

Then enter the cheats any time:

Recharge all weapons    Option + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4
Toggle flame thrower    Option + 3
Toggle motion tracker    Option + 8
Toggle pulse rifle    Option + 2
Toggle shotgun        Option + 1
Toggle smart gun    Option + 4

Sorry... been drinking. I took the week off to burn some vacation time that I have, and thought... what the hell... I'm going to have a gin & tonic with lunch! Should have eaten the sandwich first...

• Haha 2

• 4 months later...
On 6/2/2020 at 2:19 PM, UHATEIT said:

I was able to beat the Alien version without codes and the Predator version without codes but not the Marine. I finally had to use codes for the Marine but STILL could not beat it because when you set the auto self destruct regardless of how fast I am I can never seem to make it to the escape pod before it all blows up. I end up getting stuck in the elevator which seems to take me to the wrong floors vs the one I need to get to. Just not enough time to make it for me. 

game is rubbish- 

best graphics yes
best animation and smooth running, yes

overly complicated level designs and no map references. 

• Haha 2

Quick list of cheats for reference from here: (if anyone's interested)

I use them consistently as my reckless abandon for personal safety as I explore the areas is legendary :P

ALIEN VS PREDATOR (AVP)
-----------------
Cheat Codes:

All cheats entered anytime during play. Cheat II is a superset of Cheat I.

Cheat I ("Hold that Fuji!") Enable:
Hold Pause+Option.
Press 1+3, then release (1+3 only).
Press 2+5+7+9.
Predator laugh confirms.

Cheat I Commands:
Toggle Weapon Access Option+1...4
Reload All Ammo Option+1+2+3+4 (simultaneous)
Raise Security Level Option+6
Lower Security Level Option+9
Toggle Motion Tracker Option+8

Cheat II ("Banana Stops") Enable:
Press Pause+Option+6+1+3, then release.
Press B,A,9,A,9,A ("BANANA")
Press *,Option,6 ("STOPS")
Press #,* ("POST")
Press *,Option ("STOP")
Press 2,Option ("TOP")
Predator laugh confirms.

Cheat II Commands:
Toggle Weapon Access Option+1...4
Reload All Ammo Option+1+2+3+4 (simultaneous)
Toggle Cheat Option+5
Raise Security Level Option+6
Lower Security Level Option+9
Toggle Motion Tracker Option+8
Up Level Option+A
Down Level Option+B

After entering the Cheat II code, using the Toggle Cheat command will give
you unlimited life and ammo (the ammo bars will run down, then refresh
themselves; the energy bar will run down to zero and stop). To get
unlimited ammo, you must already have some ammo in the weapon. The Up/Down
Level commands cycle through each sublevel, both alien ships, and all the
air vents. This cheat works with all characters.

Debug Info:
Hold Pause.
Press Option.
Press 1+3.
Release Pause.
Press Option.
Shotgun blast confirms.

"dec(nn,nn)" is your map grid coordinates. "hex(nnnn,nnnn)" is your precise
coordinates (in hexadecimal). "1(nn)" is the current level.

Freeze Alien Queen:
Anywhere inside the Queen's lair, save your game, then reload. Awaken
Queen by walking through the lair entrance. The Queen can be damaged while
frozen, but won't actually die until you "unfreeze" her.

View Alien Ending:
Enable the "Banana Stops" cheat. Must have at least one fully-grown
cocoon. Get killed. When "Cocoon Hatching" appears, press Option+A or
Option+B.