IGNORED

Collection selling off

hursto75

I will be selling a rather large collection of Atar computers 800/400 and 800xl. With a lot of periphials and software. Tons of Docs and manuals.

What would be the best way to sell all of this. I can get a video of everything I have shortly. Please let me know if here is a good place or should I put it all up on Ebay?

Thanks in advance,

Brad

Also if anyone is looking for anything let me know I probabl have it.

Thanks,

3 hours ago, hursto75 said:

I will be selling a rather large collection of Atar computers 800/400 and 800xl. With a lot of periphials and software. Tons of Docs and manuals.

What would be the best way to sell all of this. I can get a video of everything I have shortly. Please let me know if here is a good place or should I put it all up on Ebay?

Thanks in advance,

Brad

Also if anyone is looking for anything let me know I probabl have it.

Thanks,

Depends on your ultimate goal .... maximize money, get it into other collectors hands, sell it as a large lot, sell it piecemeal, etc....

Generally here will avoid fees, and you have an audience that is specifically into these old systems.  Ebay gives you a wider audience.

There is also craigslist if you want to move things locally.

Generally you should have a good experience with members on the forums. 

Ebay sales are a 'contract', and you shouldn't have people bail out.... but sometimes buyers pull fast ones.... and eBay generally always sides with the buyer so if there is a dispute, you're virtually guaranteed to be the loser of the dispute.

Craigslist you have to deal with people wanting you to hold things, not showing, agreeing on a price, then trying to get it for half that when they show, etc.  But, you don't have to deal with shipping.

It depends on your goals.... maximizing every last cent, eBay could be the right choice.... but eBay and PayPal will be first in line for their cut :-).

If you happen to have an Atari 820 printer and are willing to sell it, PM me :-).

Good luck no matter which way or combination of ways you proceed.

Mailing stuff during COVID is also something you need to think about. Especially if your buyers could end up living in another country. Not all mail services are available everywhere, and mail is super slow right now. Plus potentially exposing yourself to mail stuff.

That and some of the people who would be interested don't have a job right now and might not have the money to spend on their hobby.

Edited by krae_man
  • Like 1

I've had some difficulty selling items here. The difficulty is in selling items that might be of low interest to collectors (e.g., relatively common and low value games), probably because many of the people here have been long time collectors and already have these common/lower interest items.  I put in deep discounts on some common atari lynx and sega genesis games a few years ago compared to what the items sell for on ebay and had no interest.  I eventually sold that stuff on ebay. 

if you are going to post them for sale here:

1) Make a list with basic descriptions and condition (include NTSC or PAL or any other designation that could affect compatibility)

2) since it's a 'large' collection, post just a couple of group pics instead of one each for every single item - and only take closer detailed pics when someone asks...

3) if you are posting items with price - make sure to distinguish whether shipping is included or extra!  also mention what countries you're willing to ship to, there are people on this forum from all over the world...

looking forward to a list...

On 5/31/2020 at 8:27 PM, krae_man said:

That and some of the people who would be interested don't have a job right now and might not have the money to spend on their hobby.

There are still more than enough people buying that there is no problem selling anything in collectibles and hobby markets. Some stuff is selling for MORE than before the pandemic as people are board and want something to do with their time. So, they buy stuff to play with :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluejay said:

Doesn't hurt to use proper spelling in a video game discussion though, right?

For God's sake! It was a typo! Does it really mean that much to you? Please put me on ignore

then so you can't see my posts which are so deeply troubling you. I have no interest in any further interaction

with you and your non-sense. Your needless chirping at me is getting annoying. I'm here to have fun, not get

agrovated by kids in the cheap-seats over stupid shit like a typo. 

EDIT: I noticed I spelled aggravated wrong and I'm leaving it like that CAUSE IT DOESN'T MATTER.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Shawn said:

There are still more than enough people buying that there is no problem selling anything in collectibles and hobby markets. Some stuff is selling for MORE than before the pandemic as people are board and want something to do with their time. So, they buy stuff to play with :)

People being home and bored has impacted some stuff like Ring Fits. It's not the same thing.

Some collectors who have not been financially impacted by this may have extra free time and put that into adding to their collection, but that's not all collectors. A lot of them will have been adversely impacted financially by this.

Edited by krae_man

I've been selling quite a bit and luckily a lot of it has been local. I was surprised to find 2 local buyers for two xegs lots I had and when I do ship, its canada only and E-transfer. No more paypal and ebay for me. Between high fees and hacking attempts on both and paypal not playing nice with my Canadian bank account, I've given up on them completely.

Not to mention international shipping headaches. No thanks 

3 hours ago, bluejay said:

it's nonsense without a dash.

Both uses are accepted but we can go with what you are saying. You clearly need

it for whatever bizarre reason. I hope you now feel validated in your small world

where things like this have such an importance. I hope things get better in your life

from here on out.  Just remember when you are at the very bottom things can only get better. 

I feel sorry for you. Best of luck.

2 hours ago, Shawn said:

Both uses are accepted but we can go with what you are saying. You clearly need

it for whatever bizarre reason. I hope you now feel validated in your small world

where things like this have such an importance. I hope things get better in your life

from here on out.  Just remember when you are at the very bottom things can only get better. 

I feel sorry for you. Best of luck.

Well, thanks.