IGNORED

I love the sound of the Dot Matrix in the morning...

leech

I used a Star NX-1000 Rainbow printer for color printing on my 8-bit then later the ST. I remember there was a program that I saw featured in the Antic that supported color screen dumps but I was a kid back then and couldn't afford it so I did the next best thing and wrote my own program that supported the standard 8-bit formats and even APAC and Colrview. I don't have that software anymore and I only had it uploaded to two bbses back in the day. I also just looked up the printer on youtube and found an LGR video on the 24-pin version of the printer. It looks like the color cartridges are very rare these days (I believe both printers used the same cartridge).

I also had an Okimate 10 and used that in the mid-80s for color prints using RAMbrandt. My friends used to swear that I didn't print it off my computer and got the images from a magazine or something because they were so glossy.

51 minutes ago, A8Watcher_808 said:

I used a Star NX-1000 Rainbow printer for color printing on my 8-bit then later the ST. I remember there was a program that I saw featured in the Antic that supported color screen dumps but I was a kid back then and couldn't afford it so I did the next best thing and wrote my own program that supported the standard 8-bit formats and even APAC and Colrview. I don't have that software anymore and I only had it uploaded to two bbses back in the day. I also just looked up the printer on youtube and found an LGR video on the 24-pin version of the printer. It looks like the color cartridges are very rare these days (I believe both printers used the same cartridge).

I also had an Okimate 10 and used that in the mid-80s for color prints using RAMbrandt. My friends used to swear that I didn't print it off my computer and got the images from a magazine or something because they were so glossy.

The main reason I was / am looking into the Omimate 10 is because you can still find color ribbons for it.

leech, I have a couple laying around, I can't promise how good it is, or if it needs to warm up, or the roller need cleaning and softening... but, you can have it for the price of shipping... as in no cost but what it would take have them deliver it.

remember that these things need a little card to work with whatever computer... okimate 64 plug n print -- okimate Atari Plug n Print...    I doubt very much the thing is still in it... or worse yet I plugged a c64 plug n print in to test it one at some point and left it...

but whatever the case, if you want it... it could be yours... let me know and I'll send someone to retrieve it from the old shop...

Edited by _The Doctor__

26 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

leech, I have a couple laying around, I can't promise how good it is, or if it needs to warm up, or the roller need cleaning and softening... but, you can have it for the price of shipping... as in no cost but what it would take have them deliver it.

remember that these things need a little card to work with whatever computer... okimate 64 plug n print -- okimate Atari Plug n Print...    I doubt very much the thing is still in it... or worse yet I plugged a c64 plug n print in to test it one at some point and left it...

but whatever the case, if you want it... it could be yours... let me know and I'll send someone to retrieve it from the old shop...

Yeah, the aforementioned one on ebay looks like it is just the plug n print adapter, but it is NIB and so should include the software disk if no one has archived it.

Anyone kniw the difference between the 10 and 20?

Yes the 20 is more themal dots/ pins ... will work with plug and print but if you wanted it to do even more there was a rom hack...

these were used on 8 bit and ST's so think of it a as a 24 dot printer

Edited by _The Doctor__

5 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Yes the 20 is more themal dots/ pins ... will work with plug and print but if you wanted it to do even more there was a rom hack...

these were used on 8 bit and ST's so think of it a as a 24 dot printer

Interesting, do you have any of the 20 laying around?  This might be a decent attempt at printing from the Commie and the Amiga / ST as well, if I get the plug n print thing for the A8.

After a quick search I did find some shops that sell both color ($12.50) and black ($3-$6) ink ribbons for the star nx1000 rainbow but who knows if they're actually in stock.

As for the Okimate 10, I may have 2 cases (10-20 ribbons?) worth of the color ribbons sitting in storage somewhere that were "given" to me when my uncle moved to another state about 10 years ago. The printer may be in there as well but with either the C64 interface or missing the interface module. I'm sure after 10 years of having it in my storage I can officially claim it for myself. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Nope the 20's got stolen with the Mega ST's all I have is the 10 I'm going to send on it's way. I'm simply going to have someone grab it and ship it...

Damn, that sucks!  (I still do not have a Mega ST in my collection....)

9 minutes ago, A8Watcher_808 said:

After a quick search I did find some shops that sell both color ($12.50) and black ($3-$6) ink ribbons for the star nx1000 rainbow but who knows if they're actually in stock.

As for the Okimate 10, I may have 2 cases (10-20 ribbons?) worth of the color ribbons sitting in storage somewhere that were "given" to me when my uncle moved to another state about 10 years ago. The printer may be in there as well but with either the C64 interface or missing the interface module. I'm sure after 10 years of having it in my storage I can officially claim it for myself. 

Ha, that is nuts!  I mean it would be best if I could find color ribbons for the printer I already have instead of getting another printer.  Though maybe I should just wait for the FujiNet!

If one of you gets an Okimate 10 or 20 going, make sure to scan the output so we have something to work on if we ever decide to try emulating it.  We'll want to do pages containing its entire character set in all available font variations and color graphics samples if possible. 

You'll want some of the smooth/glossy paper that made its output passable, and note that the color ribbons only last for about 6~7 picture printouts before they need replacing!

oh boy, anyone know where to get the proper oki paper? It's not the normal thermal type if you use true thermal paper.. everything is black.... :)    While I remember it is smooth and slightly glossy... Not a box of it is around me, I doubt there's any at the shop/office.

in theory gloss photo paper might work, but that's expensive.

wonder what grain it would be..

Thermal Transfer Paper... not so common today...

hard to search best I found so far...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DECcolorwriter-1000-Thermal-Transfer-Paper-LF02X-JA/262007079938?hash=item3d00d6c402:g:~-cAAOSw8cNUS8bg

Edited by _The Doctor__

2 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

oh boy, anyone know where to get the proper oki paper? It's not the normal thermal type if you use true thermal paper.. everything is black.... :)    While I remember it is smooth and slightly glossy... Not a box of it is around me, I doubt there's any at the shop/office.

in theory gloss photo paper might work, but that's expensive.

wonder what grain it would be..

Thermal Transfer Paper... not so common today...

hard to search best I found so far...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DECcolorwriter-1000-Thermal-Transfer-Paper-LF02X-JA/262007079938?hash=item3d00d6c402:g:~-cAAOSw8cNUS8bg

At least the cool thing is, as I was looking, if you ONLY want to print in black, you can get fax roll paper and it doesn't require a ribbon at all. 

But yeah for printing just color pictures, I would much rather print with my laserjet... ha, would definitely get crazy expensive to print a full color banner that is 6-7 pages long...

The best way to print with these is simply using the smoothest paper of a decent thickness as possible.... we used to have rolls on a hanger behind them and and tear off the sheets... there was fan fold as well... but the rolls were cheap and endless for banners code.... standard papers just plain s*cked....

the other thing that s*cked was storing print outs where it gets to warm... the pages could stick together a little and the print ended up slightly on the other paper making things less sharp...

Edited by _The Doctor__

On 6/1/2020 at 8:41 AM, jamm said:

Anyone who's been dying to have the Okimate 10 experience -- there's a NIB unit on eBay for $75.  ?

I don't know if they still have any, the text file was last updated over a year ago, but Bravo Sierra Computers lists the following.

Citizen 200GX 24 Pin Dot Matrix Printer With Color Capability......$25.00 U$D.

Panasonic KX-P2123 24 Pin Dot Matrix Printer With Color Capability.$25.00 U$D.

Okimate 10 Color Printer with SIO Direct Connect interface already included & installed!

Uses Black & White and/or Color Ribbons! Mint in Box!..$100.00 U$D.

Okimate 10 Plug n Print SIO Direct Connect interface! Mint in Box!.$30.00 U$D.

http://atarisales.sdf.org/

Edited by BillC