IGNORED

Anyone have a working Seagate ST-157N?

Last time I tried to power mine up there was a spark and a piece popped off.  Figured I would try to replace it and see if the drive would work again...

Problem is it kind of burned and I couldn't read it anyhow.  But here is the part that popped off, i believe it was a surface mount resistor.

20200531_213138.jpg

3 hours ago, Mehridian Sanders said:

I will look through my collection and see if I have one. Sorry to hear about the fireworks ? . 

I am just happy the TT didn't smoke too!  I actually don't remember if this drive is my original Mega STe drive or not, because I swear that one died so it would no longer spin up.

This one spins up, but then sparks and it won't detect.

1 hour ago, MasterMotorola said:

I wonder if it may be possible to remove the harddrive platers and transplant them into a working drive of the same type.  This way you won't lose the data stored on them.

That was going to be my second choice if replacing the resistor didn't work.  In which case I would need to order a working drive.  So many of them show as untested and are 100 bucks on ebay though...

On 6/1/2020 at 5:36 AM, leech said:

Last time I tried to power mine up there was a spark and a piece popped off.  Figured I would try to replace it and see if the drive would work again...

Problem is it kind of burned and I couldn't read it anyhow.  But here is the part that popped off, i believe it was a surface mount resistor.

This is only a smoothing ceramic capacitor, I´m pretty sure it´s standard - 100nF (or 0.1uF) in 1206 package.

I´m pretty sure that the issue is forced by a defect tantaluum capacitor right to the blown part. Tantaluum´s are well known for short circuits, smoke and sparks after years of non-usage, specially in 12 volt rails of harddrives and other stuff which draws relative high current when powered up. So replace the blown cap and the tantaluum right from the blown part also!

General: It´s a good idea to set the "motor delay" jumper if the drive support this (search for datasheet). When power comes in, the high current draw is delayed and this prevents from this behaviour often. It´s not a cure-all, but I´ve done this since 10 years and since then no old harddrive went defect immediately after powering on.

On 6/1/2020 at 11:50 AM, leech said:

I am just happy the TT didn't smoke too!  I actually don't remember if this drive is my original Mega STe drive or not, because I swear that one died so it would no longer spin up.

This one spins up, but then sparks and it won't detect.

I checked over my HDD's Only have stuff from the Apple II and Early Quantum Drives. I am sorry.