IGNORED

Scrapyard Dog (Graphics Hack)

KevinMos3

This is a hack originally from 2015, but I didn't upload it because I wanted to make some changes to the title screen and never got around to it -- until now.  It's nothing spectacular, but the point of this hack was to make Louie a little more cute like the Lynx version.  The title screen isn't that much different, but Louie is a mix of his appearance on the 7800 boxart and his appearance on the Lynx.

List of changes:

(UPDATE 12-JUN-20 Scraps Version: Added a bounce to Scraps' step with a little bit of ear flop.  Also tweaked the knocking sprites and edited text from "Persistent Fellow" to "Persistent Mutt".  Final boss screen Louie sprite outline color changed to dark brown.  ALL versions in single zip file, including a green title text option.)

- Edit in-game Louie sprites.

- Changed color of sky in junkyard levels to be slightly more blue.

- Tweaked color of dirt to be a little more brown.

- Edited Louie in title screen.

- Unlimited Lives (thanks to RevEng) rom included in zip

ScrapyardDog(GraphicsHack).thumb.png.e5f274bd66518718a4ecba8320890506.png

Scrapyard Dog (Graphics Hack).zip

Also included is a hack started from a request by @Giles N to replace Louie with Scraps.  I liked the idea, and here is the result.  Giles did the base Scraps sprites and I edited them to fit within the constraints of the game and did various other re-draws.  I've redrawn Scraps kidnap graphics to show Louie.  Text was also changed that referenced Scraps or Louie in order to match the new story line.

List of changes:

- Replaced Louie with Scraps and vice-versa.

- Replaced text and graphics referencing Scraps or Louie.

- All changes from previous hack included here (title screen edit, sky and dirt colors, invincibility version)

ScrapyardDog(ScrapsHack).thumb.png.6e4bb9438595c056c597b9b24055d071.png

Prosystem.dat File Additions:

Spoiler

[5b0c67d4b709050ac56d7a75daad42a6]
title=Scrapyard Dog (Graphics & Unlimited Lives)
type=4
pokey=false
controller1=1
controller2=1
region=0
flags=0
[8b5712fa22f93c5a2f0b7675dd4b6ca4]
title=Scrapyard Dog (Graphics Hack)
type=4
pokey=false
controller1=1
controller2=1
region=0
flags=0
[3d430a34fefdd9cbca02c0b961116d02]
title=Scrapyard Dog (Graphics & Unlimited Lives Green Title)
type=4
pokey=false
controller1=1
controller2=1
region=0
flags=0
[6cb9d737643d262918aa15f0c854eea5]
title=Scrapyard Dog (Graphics Hack Green Title)
type=4
pokey=false
controller1=1
controller2=1
region=0
flags=0
[9fe015d52dc3eec20b1e173ffba1dcaa]
title=Scrapyard Dog (Scraps Hack Infinite RC5)
type=4
pokey=false
controller1=1
controller2=1
region=0
flags=0
[ec66056d80519f2bc400fe57b433e3b5]
title=Scrapyard Dog (Scraps Hack RC5)
type=4
pokey=false
controller1=1
controller2=1
region=0
flags=0

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 5

Updated to RC3.  Found a misaligned sprite when Scraps was walking away from screen (entering a door or tunnel).

Edit: Here's the title screen with an alternate green color to go along more with the title on the box.  I used to think I'd prefer this, but now not so sure.  Anyone prefer this version?  Note: To clarify, RC3 still has the YELLOW title text.  There is no green version uploaded.

Scrapyard_Dog_Alt_Title_Color.png.d409e0b66ff751cbfd2606313954fde7.png  2018537454_ScrapyardDogYellowTitle.png.f358d94e5207996853509c563a05626b.png

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, KevinMos3 said:

Updated to RC3.  Found a misaligned sprite when Scraps was walking away from screen (entering a door or tunnel).

Edit: Here's the title screen with an alternate green color to go along more with the title on the box.  I used to think I'd prefer this, but now not so sure.  Anyone prefer this version?

Scrapyard_Dog_Alt_Title_Color.png.d409e0b66ff751cbfd2606313954fde7.png  2018537454_ScrapyardDogYellowTitle.png.f358d94e5207996853509c563a05626b.png

I like the yellow text better...

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 2

I'm not aware of anything to fix at this time.  However, next time you play through the game, pay attention to the skin color of Louie (if he's a pinkish color or an orange/brown color).  I was near the end of the game the other night, but the wife walked in front and caught the cord with her foot and that was that for that playthrough attempt.

18 hours ago, KevinMos3 said:

I'm not aware of anything to fix at this time.  However, next time you play through the game, pay attention to the skin color of Louie (if he's a pinkish color or an orange/brown color).  I was near the end of the game the other night, but the wife walked in front and caught the cord with her foot and that was that for that playthrough attempt.

So, what’s the exact link to the latest version then?

Please post,

?

The wife taking down that cord;  some signal !!

Edited by Giles N

I’m actually satisfied with the completed   product. . . cart., thing., game., toy, hack, retro-thingie....whatever...

a) we get to be the Doggie,

b) and save the owner ‘Louie’ 

(who’s quite a bit of a useless, sorry loney-dorky-prat, right?)

c) - yes; it all becomes more like a TV-network cartoon [or more like Sonic than Mario . . . ahem], and silly (up to the level of imbecile) story, silly mission, silly stuff ending on a note of furriness, harmonity, hilarity or pure, stark horror... (    «sawed»  -   thats like ... who the heck wrote this script??? is it a pure ‘R’ rated

game??  )

- be the furry, cute animal...trying to resque its owner, 

[rather than ‘the atari-dork trying to save some dog’]

... or I just say lots of crappy stuff since I think the Dog ‘Scraps’ could or would be a better ‘mascot’ for any system not in sales, not in the-stores anymore,  than ‘Louie - the dork-of-dorks of scrapyard-keepers’ - even if I’m like 3 decades too late 

?

?

Edited by Giles N

UPDATE: Very minor change, but I didn't like how I drew Louie's mouth on the title screen in the previous version, so I tweaked it a bit.  ALL versions now in single zip file, including a green title option.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KevinMos3 said:

UPDATE: Very minor change, but I didn't like how I drew Louie's mouth on the title screen in the previous version, so I tweaked it a bit.  ALL versions now in single zip file, including a green title option.

Please, do post a link to the final

file...

Another update to the Scraps hack above (see description for changes).  I played through Louie and Scraps versions from start to finish today and I'm pretty satisfied.  I thought I was done before, but this time I really think I'm done.  ;-)

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 2

As often happens, I can't leave well-enough alone.  I tested adding some pixels in Louie's hair to mask where the color changes from the 12-color area to the 3-color area.  Not sure if I like it or not.  I still kinda like the look of the color change.  Thoughts are welcome.  If a few people express an opinion preferring it, I'll upload the edit.  Based on current downloads, (1), I doubt it'll matter to anyone.

2123796298_ScrapyardDog(HairCompare).thumb.png.12ea96125d0911255012ffa03f3e7817.png

On 6/16/2020 at 9:26 AM, KevinMos3 said:

As often happens, I can't leave well-enough alone.  I tested adding some pixels in Louie's hair to mask where the color changes from the 12-color area to the 3-color area.  Not sure if I like it or not.  I still kinda like the look of the color change.  Thoughts are welcome.  If a few people express an opinion preferring it, I'll upload the edit.  Based on current downloads, (1), I doubt it'll matter to anyone.

2123796298_ScrapyardDog(HairCompare).thumb.png.12ea96125d0911255012ffa03f3e7817.png

Ha ha, dunno if I should say this, but hair on the left image seems better in one respect, but that may invite to an improved used of blues on Louies sweater...

But some of this is very close to personal taste...

Anyway, is this title-screen now in use both for ‘You-Are-Loiue’ and ‘You-Are-Scraps’ versions, or just ‘You Are Louie’-version...?

Edited by Giles N

6 hours ago, Giles N said:

...Anyway, is this title-screen now in use both for ‘You-Are-Loiue’ and ‘You-Are-Scraps’ versions, or just ‘You Are Louie’-version...?

You haven't downloaded/played the current version of the hack you requested?

8 hours ago, KevinMos3 said:

You haven't downloaded/played the current version of the hack you requested?

I need to get a better emulator downloaded; but the laptop stationed at my place is my brothers’, so I’ll need to get him here.

Anyway, I want to have these things produced on actually 7800-hardware carts, but have run out of people who are available (energy and expertise) for doing such things.

When I get my bro to download, bupsystem, I’ll download these versions...

(But I have the Scraps-v.1.1 coming as cart)

Edited by Giles N

I don't know what Scraps-v.1.1 is.

If you're ordering a custom cart from the AtariAge store, just make sure Al has the latest one here.  If you prefer the alternate hair from the picture above, I'll have to upload or send it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KevinMos3 said:

I don't know what Scraps-v.1.1 is.

If you're ordering a custom cart from the AtariAge store, just make sure Al has the latest one here.  If you prefer the alternate hair from the picture above, I'll have to upload or send it.

Ok, thanks for info.

Scraps-v1.1.: sorry just my own way of saying the first version of Scrapyard Dog ‘starring Scraps’, uploaded here, before any further alterations.

I was a bit vague there.

If the hair is only on the title-screen and no further alterations were done, I’ll do with the version given here already.

• 1 month later...

@KevinMos3

Got a cartridge version of the ‘Scraps hack’-version today!

Very nice to see the Dog in action and the cartoony looks of Louie as captured...

... and to have the game run on original/actual 7800 hardware!!

A huge ‘thank you’!!! for all work and effort you put into this!

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1