IGNORED

Trouble starting some games

A Literal Durian

Hi everyone, 

Newbie on the boards here (my first post actually), so sorry in advance if this question is dumb or if I'm posting in the wrong spot. 

I recently picked up a heavy sixer along with a few games. Most of them work, but I'm having trouble with one. More specifically, my copies of Centipede, E.T, River Raid and Space Invaders all work, but my copy of Yar's Revenge is causing problems. When I turn on the console, I get a mostly black screen with a few colored vertical bars on the left side of the screen. I cleaned the cartridge (cotton swab with 99% ISO) to no avail. I also tried adjusting the color POT (as the color was off on the other games anyways); now it sometimes boots to an orange screen with vertical blue bars on each side, sometimes it's static, sometimes its the black screen with the colored bar on the right side. I also tried jiggling the cart around and starting it with the cart at different depths but nothing has worked. Do I have a bad cart or is there something wrong with the console?

Thanks in advance  

Dont know if it is recommended, but I solved this issue by pushing the cartridge pins (at the console's cartridge slot) towards each other with a small screwdriver. The cartridge itself now snaps in much more also. Since then the console itself is even shock-proofed lets say. Before even a small press on the reset button for example made the console crash sometimes. Perhaps you want to try, but as said, dont know if such a 'repair advise' is recommended by others. At me it worked. And it works without any graphical bars or any other problems since then. I play on a 2600Junior. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 10:24 AM, Lohe said:

dont know if such a 'repair advise' is recommended by others.

It's logical when you think the carts have been pushing them apart for years.  I did it to a 2600 jr, when the carts wobbled like a seismograph.