IGNORED

Noob looking to play Robotron 2084

coeyj

Let me preface this by saying that this is my first time on AtariAge and frankly, I'm a kid who has no idea what he's doing- But that's why I'm here! Also apologies if this isn't the right place for this post. Let me know if I should repost in another place.

It's my Dad's birthday soon and he's always dreamed of being able to play Robotron 2084 with arcade joysticks again. I'm trying to find the easiest and cheapest way to get him that experience again. I have Midway Arcade Treasures on Gamecube, but the Gamecube controller joysticks don't do the trick for him. I also am in no position to spend thousands of dollars on a cabinet or buy parts and learn to make one.

I wish there were a console/emulator(?) I could buy that I could connect via HDMI into a TV, and a dual joystick setup that I could plug into it. What's the easiest way to play Robotron 2084 with classic arcade joysticks? Thank you all in advance. Apologies again for my ignorance of any of this. I've tried doing some research on my own, but it's been more complicated than I expected.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, coeyj said:

Let me preface this by saying that this is my first time on AtariAge and frankly, I'm a kid who has no idea what he's doing- But that's why I'm here! Also apologies if this isn't the right place for this post. Let me know if I should repost in another place.

It's my Dad's birthday soon and he's always dreamed of being able to play Robotron 2084 with arcade joysticks again. I'm trying to find the easiest and cheapest way to get him that experience again. I have Midway Arcade Treasures on Gamecube, but the Gamecube controller joysticks don't do the trick for him. I also am in no position to spend thousands of dollars on a cabinet or buy parts and learn to make one.

I wish there were a console/emulator(?) I could buy that I could connect via HDMI into a TV, and a dual joystick setup that I could plug into it. What's the easiest way to play Robotron 2084 with classic arcade joysticks? Thank you all in advance. Apologies again for my ignorance of any of this. I've tried doing some research on my own, but it's been more complicated than I expected.

You may obtain more answers here and here.

Nonetheless, X-Arcade with 5-in-1 adapter is an option.

Not spending thousands, less than $200, plus your Dad and you have a dual joystick setup that can be used on the Gamecube, PC, and several other consoles.  You're making the most of the hardware and software you already own, and it's very likely your Dad will get a kick playing some of the other games under Midway Arcade Treasures with the same Arcade controller as well.

• Like 3

Wish X-Arcade had an adapter for 2-button play on the 7800. Doesn't seem even a 2600 adapter exists after all these years. What gives? Both the 2600 and 7800 provide +5vdc through their joystick ports. Might be an amperage thing, needed to cut through their interface board. Could hack the wiring directly if someone really wanted to of course, but adapters is nice!

3A2968F1-2AAF-4024-98B8-A578BD20B999.gif

• Like 1

7 hours ago, save2600 said:

Wish X-Arcade had an adapter for 2-button play on the 7800. Doesn't seem even a 2600 adapter exists after all these years. What gives? Both the 2600 and 7800 provide +5vdc through their joystick ports. Might be an amperage thing, needed to cut through their interface board. Could hack the wiring directly if someone really wanted to of course, but adapters is nice!

Where there is a will, there's a way:

You may want to check this out too:

896699013_X-ArcadeTankstickwithAtari7800.thumb.jpg.281f6b3033a856e3e84274c0ed324e36.jpg

• Like 3

...or, a "truly arcade accurate" and simple solution...without 8 separate adapters/dongles:

for the Atari 2600/7800/8-Bit

KQT8eU.png

...or a few other options:

Atari 5200

rOfk1J.png

SNES/SFC

tDSx5C.png

?

That being said...there's no great "cheap" way to properly play Robotron: 2084.  If you want real WICO 4" leaf-switch arcade joysticks (same as in the arcade cabinet), you will be looking at hundreds of dollars.  Less expensive arcade sticks (but not properly arcade cabinet accurate) are available, like the X-Arcade.  But first you need to determine which console, or emulator apparatus you're going to play on: 5200, 7800, SNES, PSX, GameCube or other, and determine what sort of budget you're working with.  

If you're in the $50-$100 range, then you looking at a 7800 and 2 stock controllers taped, or zip tied to a wood board.  If you're in the $400 range, then you could get 1 like in my first picture built for whichever console you choose.  The X-Arcade Twin and their 5-in-1 adapter would allow for twin sticks on the Gamecube (assuing 2 sticks can be wired to 1 port for that particular game/system) at about $200, but just know that the modern micro switch sticks used in the X-Arcade have a completely different feel from the WICO versions used in the original Robotron: 2084 arcade cabinets, and then there's the annoyance of your right wrist/palm resting on top of the P2 buttons when you're manipulating the right joystick with your right hand. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, doubledown said:

...or, a "truly arcade accurate" and simple solution...without 8 separate adapters/dongles:

for the Atari 2600/7800/8-Bit

KQT8eU.png

...or a few other options:

Atari 5200

rOfk1J.png

SNES/SFC

tDSx5C.png

?

That being said...there's no great "cheap" way to properly play Robotron: 2084.  If you want real WICO 4" leaf-switch arcade joysticks (same as in the arcade cabinet), you will be looking at hundreds of dollars.  Less expensive arcade sticks (but not properly arcade cabinet accurate) are available, like the X-Arcade.  But first you need to determine which console, or emulator apparatus you're going to play on: 5200, 7800, SNES, PSX, GameCube or other, and determine what sort of budget you're working with.  

If you're in the $50-$100 range, then you looking at a 7800 and 2 stock controllers taped, or zip tied to a wood board.  If you're in the $400 range, then you could get 1 like in my first picture built for whichever console you choose.  The X-Arcade Twin and their 5-in-1 adapter would allow for twin sticks on the Gamecube (assuing 2 sticks can be wired to 1 port for that particular game/system) at about $200, but just know that the modern micro switch sticks used in the X-Arcade have a completely different feel from the WICO versions used in the original Robotron: 2084 arcade cabinets, and then there's the annoyance of your right wrist/palm resting on top of the P2 buttons when you're manipulating the right joystick with your right hand. 

Love those!!

10 hours ago, doubledown said:

The post by save2600, stated he was looking for a solution for using the X-Arcade under the 7800, which prompted the reply.  If we're looking at other joystick controllers for the 7800, than of course, we have additionally options with much simpler connections, including Edladdin controllers, available to the masses.  Among them, the Super Twin 78.  It can be purchased right here at the AtariAge Store as well.

8 hours ago, Jinks said:

I think you guys went all pedo showing of your giant sticks you maybe scared him away.. maybe in this case an emulator would have been sufficient?? 

Per the OP, having an emulator solution wasn't enough.  They already have a Gamecube with Midway Arcade Treasures.  The issue was the Gamecube controller didn't match the Arcade gameplay experience of dual joysticks.   He is looking for a solution that is easy and doesn't cost thousands.  Plugging a dual joystick controller into the Gamecube console couldn't be any easier for this scenario, and cost nowhere near thousands or even several hundreds of dollars. 

• Thanks 1

Very grateful for the mentions by previous posters!  

Yes, I’d love to hook you and your dad up with an Edladdin Super Twin 78, which was designed with Robotron 2084 in mind, for $179.00.  We are tried and true: we’ve built and shipped 83 units since our launch in November 2014, and we’re the only controller company carried in the AtariAge store.

I DO love the arcade graphics DoubleDown and others have used over the years, but since ours is a real company that I depend on to pay my mortgage, I’ve never been willing to risk being shut down and/or sued by Atari SA, Nintendo, or the other live copyright owners. 

Thanks for your consideration!

8ACC8EDB-E625-4329-A26E-1BA7C85D98C6.jpeg

AB7A515E-8BEE-4C7B-B150-2171B99C49E7.jpeg

E74BDF81-F933-4536-93BA-0C9A4B03382A.jpeg

• Like 2

Most of this discussion is moot, as the OP mentions looking for a twin arcade stick solution for the Gamecube version of Robotron: 2084 (found on Midway Arcade Treasures I believe), (it just happened to be posted here in the 7800 forums).  For which, I believe the only options to be the X-Arcade with 5-in-1 adapter (assuming its wiring/control scheme will work properly as desired for this game, someone would need to verify), or a custom ordered controller from persons like myself or Ed (if he offers Gamecube options).  A version of my Robotron: 2084 controller (which I posted above) could be built/wired for the Gamecube if someone wanted one.  Then one needs to consider the caveat of "simply functional" arcade joysticks & layout...or "arcade accurate" joysticks and layout.  Hardcore Robotron: 2084 players won't be satisfied with modern candy cabinet micro-switch joysticks to play...they want the original WICO sticks with arcade appropriate spacing.  While both will "work", the feel of these two different styles of joysticks is radically different.  Obviously this all boils down to preference, budget, and your passion for the particular game play experience.  

On 6/1/2020 at 3:02 PM, coeyj said:

Get a Canakit from Amazon

Get an Xbox 360 controller and receiver where you can use both thumbsticks for Robot Ron.

Install RetroPie.

Download MAME ROMs from Archive.org

Don't forget to give me thanks.

7 hours ago, edladdin said:

Very grateful for the mentions by previous posters!  

Yes, I’d love to hook you and your dad up with an Edladdin Super Twin 78, which was designed with Robotron 2084 in mind, for $179.00.  We are tried and true: we’ve built and shipped 83 units since our launch in November 2014, and we’re the only controller company carried in the AtariAge store.

I DO love the arcade graphics DoubleDown and others have used over the years, but since ours is a real company that I depend on to pay my mortgage, I’ve never been willing to risk being shut down and/or sued by Atari SA, Nintendo, or the other live copyright owners. 

Thanks for your consideration!

8ACC8EDB-E625-4329-A26E-1BA7C85D98C6.jpeg

AB7A515E-8BEE-4C7B-B150-2171B99C49E7.jpeg

E74BDF81-F933-4536-93BA-0C9A4B03382A.jpeg

I have one of your joysticks and love it!

I do wish someone would make a decal for the top to dress it up. I total get not wanting to get sued, maybe "someone else" could do a run.....

Wanted to say thank you for all of the help. It looks like the x-arcade + gamecube adapter is a great option. Sucks that it isn't a "true" setup like the Edladdin looks to be (proper spacing/sticks/buttons) but from what I can tell, I'd need an atari console for an Edladdin (which I know probably isn't super expensive, but I'm afraid it wouldn't get the love it really deserves by only playing robotron on it every now and again). It's been super helpful to hear about the different options, so thank you all again.

The arcade-accurate, Robotron: 2084 controller pictured above in post #5, is not an Edladdin controller...it's one of mine.  Ed and I obviously use similar looking enclosure housings.  If you went the X-Arcade route, it should be possible to replace the joysticks with more arcade accurate ones...if your dad really didn't like the look or feel of the modern micro-switch versions in the X-Arcade.  I believe the joysticks they use feature the "somewhat" industry standard 3.0" x 2.6" mounting pattern and with their wood enclosure, assuming it has enough depth, no further modification should be required.  Simply remove the factory sticks and replace them with WICO reproductions available HERE.  Just a thought.