IGNORED

The - I want it, but cannot justify it thread!

Omega-TI

The one above seems pricey at $115... I picked up a 9" monitor with a tilt stand, speakers built in, HDMI, VGA and composite for about $55 shipped on eBay. Domestic sale even.

FEE1F75B-6644-4CA6-B59B-865337C0C09C.jpeg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-LCD-CCTV-Monitor-PC-Screen-AV-RCA-VGA-HDMI-w-Speak-for-DSLR-Raspberry-Pi-US/401966835088?hash=item5d97172590:g:ecgAAOSw5VFWLE2G

• Like 3

A full PEB setup.

I really want one, just for the sake of saying i own one.

But i really don't need it.

Heck, if someone ever manages to merge speech + sams + tipi into a single sideport device, i'd even sell my 32k+tipi setup, in favor of a single board that does all i could ask for.

The only thing better then that, would be for someone to make a sideport plug-and-play VDP/F18A replacement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrhodes said:

A full PEB setup.

You're probably right.  A full P-Box setup can be over rated if you don't want or need to run a bunch of legacy hardware or run little used software that requires more than the 32K, for which there is very little available (so far).  Lately I've been playing more with my portable 32K/TIPI sidecar than with my main unit.  I'm finding it does 95% of what I do on the main box anyway.  And it's easier to move around!  ?

1026498758_PortableUnit.thumb.PNG.fc1c39e376fda5921a104cfee5bb7274.PNG

• Like 1

That is a cute monitor...  I've had my finger hovering over the bid button on that Triple Tech card.  Which I absolutely do not need.  Right now;

In the console

• F18
  • MiniMem

In the PEB

• Firehose
  • 32K Memory
  • P-Gram+
  • WHT SCSI card w Syquest 200MB cart drive in external box WDS1.
  • SID Player card
  • RS-232 card w HDX mod installed - modem, HDX1.
  • TIPI card with Raspberrry PI mounted.
  • Myarc DDCC w 80 track mod - DSDD/2880 sectors.  DSK1 and 2 are Lotharek SD card floppy emulators, DSK3. (DSSD) shares the external box with the 1/2 height Syquest.

Full house ... and I use it every day...  Thanks to @jedimatt42 I now have more or less unlimited high speed database storage.

As a kid, if I had such a system - there would be a LOT more TI software in the world today.

Cheers, Arthur...

• Like 6

On 6/2/2020 at 6:09 PM, jrhodes said:

A full PEB setup.

This is why I missed selling out my super sketch when I couldn't afford to keep it. luckily for me I'm getting it back. And because I was able to get it working when it wasn't, makes it even nicer than before.

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 7:07 AM, save2600 said:

I picked up a 9" monitor with a tilt stand, speakers built in, HDMI, VGA and composite for about $55 shipped on eBay. Domestic sale even.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-LCD-CCTV-Monitor-PC-Screen-AV-RCA-VGA-HDMI-w-Speak-for-DSLR-Raspberry-Pi-US/401966835088?hash=item5d97172590:g:ecgAAOSw5VFWLE2G

Actually that IS a pretty good price, especially since it comes with all the cables!  The seller even accepts offers, I wonder how low will they go? ;) 

IMAGE.thumb.jpg.3d38fc89f0a2eb57388236fa6d71d547.jpg

I have been agonizing over which storage solution I need. I already have a 1MB RAMDISK which works great, but I always worry about losing programs if/when the backup batteries die, and I wanted a more permanent option. I do have an RS232 HDX card and that works, but I don't really want to have my TI tied down to my laptop all the time. In the end, it boiled down to 2 currently available options: the new run of IDE cards and the TIPI-PEB. After much deliberation, I have settled on the TIPI because it provides additional cool capabilities (internet, mouse etc...) on top of nearly unlimited storage whereas the IDE card is strictly storage. Having both a TIPI and an IDE card made little sense even though every fiber in my body is itching to get one anyway. I must resist! There is of course Ralph's SD-based solution on the horizon, but I'll cross that bridge when it is finalized...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Vorticon said:

I have been agonizing over which storage solution I need. I already have a 1MB RAMDISK which works great, but I always worry about losing programs if/when the backup batteries die, and I wanted a more permanent option. I do have an RS232 HDX card and that works, but I don't really want to have my TI tied down to my laptop all the time. In the end, it boiled down to 2 currently available options: the new run of IDE cards and the TIPI-PEB. After much deliberation, I have settled on the TIPI because it provides additional cool capabilities (internet, mouse etc...) on top of nearly unlimited storage whereas the IDE card is strictly storage. Having both a TIPI and an IDE card made little sense even though every fiber in my body is itching to get one anyway. I must resist! There is of course Ralph's SD-based solution on the horizon, but I'll cross that bridge when it is finalized...

I had not planned on posting the link to the my video twice, but your post kinda spoke to me...

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

One thing I really like about the brilliant design of the TIPI/32K sidecar is the super easy access to the SD card, especially with the recent upgrade situation.  On my P-Box TIPI, I've never had to remove the micro SD card until now, but man, I'm not looking forward to it.  With that in mind, I've been toying around with getting one of those SD card extenders for around 6 months now, so I figured it was time to finally press CLICK, because pulling the card on the P-Box version is a tedious chore at best.  So, I was finally able to justify it!  ?

Extender.png.1dcf620a9236de6883dfa41daf25d411.png

On 6/2/2020 at 5:42 PM, Omega-TI said:

You're probably right.  A full P-Box setup can be over rated if you don't want or need to run a bunch of legacy hardware or run little used software that requires more than the 32K, for which there is very little available (so far).  Lately I've been playing more with my portable 32K/TIPI sidecar than with my main unit.  I'm finding it does 95% of what I do on the main box anyway.  And it's easier to move around!  ?

1026498758_PortableUnit.thumb.PNG.fc1c39e376fda5921a104cfee5bb7274.PNG

Yea can not do GRAM on TIPI or FinalGROM so have to stick with Pbox or Classic99 for moment. (Mess can do it too, but much more work then Classic99)

2 hours ago, RXB said:

can not do GRAM on TIPI or FinalGROM so have to stick with Pbox or Classic99 for moment.

FinalGROM, should do GRAM!

...Though, perhaps w/o the features of some other devices.

"In GRAM Mode, all occupied GROM banks will be GRAM banks. GPL doesn't support GRAM except for theMOVE instruction, so

move 10, g@data, g@>7800

and alike would be the only way to write to GRAM."

https://endlos99.github.io/finalgrom99/

:)

1 hour ago, Badaboom said:

A PeB… But I don't really need it with my 32k+TiPi+FG99.

One really nice thing about the TI-99/4A with the TIPI/32K and the FG99 is it's portability!  You can take it with you on vacation!  So after you get done doing all your other fun things during the day, you can settle in during the evening and have even more fun!

514938533_PortableVacation.thumb.gif.850a0c93febad23ef2e3737ae3ab84f3.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

FinalGROM, should do GRAM!

...Though, perhaps w/o the features of some other devices.

"In GRAM Mode, all occupied GROM banks will be GRAM banks. GPL doesn't support GRAM except for theMOVE instruction, so

move 10, g@data, g@>7800

and alike would be the only way to write to GRAM."

https://endlos99.github.io/finalgrom99/

:)

I should explain, I write with the Ryte Data GPL Assembler and load with the GPL Object loader that loads Compressed GPL Object code.
I do not think you could move GPL Object code into GRAM on FinalGROM with any easy to use way.

MOVE 10,G@DATA,G@>7800 

Has no value, would be much better off using GRAM device like GRAMULATOR or GRAM KRACKER or PGRAM or Classic99 or MESS.

The one I have found the easiest to use is Classic99 from REA or even EA cart.

Though you can use FW to run GPL Object Code Loader from FW and this is running from XB in GRAM.

Also you can use Mini Memory instead or TI Writer so any GRAM cart with normal GPL access would work.

I am interested in writing for FinalGROM though and plan to make some GPL for it.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 5:35 PM, Omega-TI said:

I found a nice little VGA/HDMI monitor that would go PERFECT with my portable TI setup!  The problem is, I need another monitor like I need another hole in my head.  If it were not for the price, I might have considered clicking on it!  << MONITOR HERE >>

61Bpybw+SGL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

That is a nice looking monitor, but my old eyes need something a little larger as well as portable.  Not cheaper, however.  Though, I did get this one for a review I do love it and use it in all my videos (TI & Raspberry Pi-related).  I did buy the John Will 15.6" touch screen monitor before this one, but use the Auzai monitor more (no touch-screen).  It's much thinner and the display looks beautiful.