IGNORED

Games with soundtracks

Mr SQL

Some Video Games have very captivating soundtracks -

Atari 2600 games have awesome sound effects but games with soundtracks in games are pretty rare.

Here are several with awesome soundtracks that make me want to keep playing the game:

Moon Patrol 
Popeye
Burgertime
Frogger (SuperCharger version)
Gyruss
Pitfall II 
Asteroids

What other games should be included?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, keithbk said:

Mountain King is a biggie.

I'm going to include Vanguard as it has music from Flash Gordon in it.

On the other hand, Journey's Escape is not as good as it could have been.

I played these the other night but with Mountain King and Vanguard I didn't encounter the BG music - is there a game version to select or difficulty switch setting like Moon Patrol to activate it?

I also found this thread from 2005 with a few more  https://atariage.com/forums/topic/73536-music-in-2600-games/

So far we have 17 games with background music:

Moon Patrol 
Popeye
Burgertime
Frogger (SuperCharger version)
Gyruss
Pitfall II 
Asteroids
Journey-Escape
Dig-Dug
Smurfs 
Bobby's Going Home
Mountain King

Blueprint

Crystal Castles

California Games

Starwars

Pressure Cooker

Bobby's Going home was fun but I couldn't jump over the first fence in Smurfs, both are Pitfall genre.

EDIT: looks like I didn't play long enough in Mountain King - found a few more games to add the list here https://csanyk.com/2018/11/atari-2600-games-with-noteworthy-audio/ that also have BG music.

Edited by Mr SQL

The background music plays in Vanguard when you are invincible. Starts at 6 second mark....

As this is an actual musical piece and not a sound effect (again, it's a tune from the movie FLASH, aka Sam Jones' "Flash Gordon"), I included it.

In Mountain King, you get an actual piece of music at the 1:45 mark (after collecting the Golden Crown) in this video:

Edited by keithbk
  • Like 2

Skateboarding... you'll be shaking your head for days afterwards, just trying to get it out!

Been a while since I played these but from memory:

Omicron (homebrew), whacky almost random little notes during game play.

Acid Drop, I think there was a tune during play.

(Not a candidate but Thrust+ Platinum, such an impressive intro).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Voxel said:

Skateboarding... you'll be shaking your head for days afterwards, just trying to get it out!

Been a while since I played these but from memory:

Omicron (homebrew), whacky almost random little notes during game play.

Acid Drop, I think there was a tune during play.

(Not a candidate but Thrust+ Platinum, such an impressive intro).

Wow Omicron is awesome - never played it before or Skateboarding! :)

I tried Acid Drop too but it rolled on my set, wish I could find an NTSC version of the ROM.

I like the Chiptune intro's too and categorize those with demo's since they are non-interactive.

Looks like there are quite a few games with bg music so far -

Classics:

Acid Drop (1992) (Salu, Dennis M. Kiss) (460758) (PAL) ~.bin
Asteroids (1981) (Atari, Brad Stewart - Sears) (CX2649 - 49-75163) ~.bin
Blueprint (1983) (CBS Electronics, Tom DiDomenico) (4L 2486 5000) ~.bin
BMX Air Master (1990) (Atari) (CX26190).bin
Bobby Is Going Home (Rentacom).bin
BurgerTime (1983) (M Network, Patricia Lewis Du Long, Ron Surratt - INTV) (MT4518) ~.bin
California Games (1988) (Epyx, Steven A. Baker, Peter Engelbrite) (80561-00286) ~.bin
Crystal Castles (1984) (Atari, Michael Kosaka, Peter C. Niday, Robert Vieira) (CX26110) ~.bin
Dig Dug (1983) (Atari - GCC, Douglas B. Macrae) (CX2677) ~.bin
Frogger 1983 Starpath Corp.bin
Gyruss (1984) (Parker Brothers) (PB5080) ~.bin
Journey Escape (1982) (Data Age) (112-006) ~.bin
Moon Patrol (1983) (Atari - GCC, Mark Ackerman, Noellie Alito) (CX2692) ~.bin
Mountain King (1983) (CBS Electronics, E.F. Dreyer, Ed Salvo) (4L 2738 0000) ~.bin
Pitfall II - Lost Caverns (1983) (Activision, David Crane) (AB-035-04) ~.bin
POPEYE.BIN
Pressure Cooker (CCE).bin
Secret Quest (1989) (Atari - Axlon, Steve DeFrisco) (CX26170) ~.bin
Skate Boardin' (1987) (Absolute Entertainment, David Crane) (AG-042-02, AG-042-04) ~.bin
Smurf - Rescue in Gargamel's Castle (Smurf, Smurf Action) (1982) (Coleco, Henry Will IV) (2465) ~.bin
Star Wars - The Arcade Game (1984) (Parker Brothers, Wilfredo 'Willy' Aguilar, Michael Becker, Neil McKenzie, Bob Smith, Brad Stewart) (PB5540) ~.bin
StarWars_ESB.bin
Up 'n Down (1984) (Sega, Phat Ho - Bally Midway - Beck-Tech) (009-01) ~.bin
Vanguard (1982) (Atari - GCC, Dave Payne) (CX2669) ~.bin

Homebrews:

dot_20130211.bin  (Atlas)
omicron_2k_20080113.bin

I'm pretty sure the list of Homebrews will soon be larger than the classics, those two to start have really outstanding musical scores! 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 12:57 PM, Voxel said:

Tanzende Teller (aka Dishaster), mentioned it in another thread recently, forgot to mention it here, great game with background music (if you can call it that).

Teller.thumb.JPG.a7795b6cc82530c2b3bb11cc3e8a54d3.JPG

Very cool another one! is it the same game as this? It has background music, can't find an NTSC version though it may be a PAL only release.

23 hours ago, AlwaysOnPlanetPatrol said:

Double Dragon!

Awesome rendition of the arcade tune! :)

I'm adding DD to my demo/tune folder, but it doesn't qualify for the BGM list unless there is a playable sequence where the music is playing.

23 hours ago, JWave19 said:

I like the background music in Tapper.

Wow fantastic music! I tried this port and was really impressed by how well the tunes were done and how much it improves the game compared to contemporary Tapper ports I remember playing on systems where the background music was left out.  

Ghostbusters comes to mind. It's the classic GB theme, 2600-ized and looped endlessly during gameplay!

4 hours ago, Mr SQL said:

Awesome rendition of the arcade tune! :)

I'm adding DD to my demo/tune folder, but it doesn't qualify for the BGM list unless there is a playable sequence where the music is playing.

Double Dragon does have music during actual gameplay. Every level features a 2600 rendition of a coin-op tune. Not always where it should be, granted, but there is indeed a soundtrack continuously throughout the game. In fact, I can't think of a point in the game where there isn't music!

https://youtu.be/TDQ-iK31JLQ

Edited by King Atari
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, King Atari said:

Ghostbusters comes to mind. It's the classic GB theme, 2600-ized and looped endlessly during gameplay!

Double Dragon does have music during actual gameplay. Every level features a 2600 rendition of a coin-op tune. Not always where it should be, granted, but there is indeed a soundtrack continuously throughout the game. In fact, I can't think of a point in the game where there isn't music!

https://youtu.be/TDQ-iK31JLQ

Cool DD is on the list! I never played for long because it's so hard.

28 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

Here's another one that has music:  Rabbit Transit

Great musical game with multiple tunes! RT is like a flat 2D Qbert and another SuperCharger title too! :)

I think we're closing in on 30 classics with background music and 4 homebrews - I can think of two more homebrews with awesmoe soundtracks - Zippy the Porcupine (Sonic) and Robot Zed! I'll post full lists again when I get a chance to add these to my Harmony/Uno cart folders.

21 hours ago, Mr SQL said:

is it the same game as this?

Yes, Tanzende Teller (Dancing Plates) was also released as Teller Jonglieren, better known to most as Dishaster.

There should be a thread to see who can find the game with the most names.

• Like 1

I know I'm biased by Oliver Getz did amazing work on my homebrew https://alienbill.com/loaded4bear/ - and he's more a musician then a coder but he did all the music work himself once I showed him my tutorials.

The title screen has great percussion, the main battle sequence is super intense, especially for just being one voice...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kisrael said:

I know I'm biased by Oliver Getz did amazing work on my homebrew https://alienbill.com/loaded4bear/ - and he's more a musician then a coder but he did all the music work himself once I showed him my tutorials.

The title screen has great percussion, the main battle sequence is super intense, especially for just being one voice...

Yes great background music! :) I didn't hear it until I played the game - the volume is very low in the vid so I only heard the Fx and the intro/ending tunes initially. 

11 hours ago, King Atari said:

Just remembered that Kung-Fu Master, Ikari Warriors and Commando all have background music during gameplay.

Awesome three more, and those are all great games! :)

On 6/9/2020 at 11:08 PM, TrekMD said:

And here is another Supercharger game that has music in several of the games in it:  Party Mix!

Excellent renditions in three of those SuperCharger games! :) I loved the William Tell Overture rendition in Tug of War. I had coded a rendition of this classical piece in one of my games from the 80's, the Parlog Building.

The Supercharger has a lot of games with bgm, I think Meteroids and even the primative beat in Suicide Mission qualify too.

• Like 1

Atari games with background Music so far -  38 classic (36 roms) and 7 homebrews:

Acid Drop (1992) (Salu, Dennis M. Kiss) (460758) (PAL) ~.bin
Asteroids (1981) (Atari, Brad Stewart - Sears) (CX2649 - 49-75163) ~.bin
Blueprint (1983) (CBS Electronics, Tom DiDomenico) (4L 2486 5000) ~.bin
BMX Air Master (1990) (Atari) (CX26190).bin
Bobby Is Going Home (Rentacom).bin
BurgerTime (1983) (M Network, Patricia Lewis Du Long, Ron Surratt - INTV) (MT4518) ~.bin
California Games (1988) (Epyx, Steven A. Baker, Peter Engelbrite) (80561-00286) ~.bin
Commando (1988) (Activision, Mike Riedel) (AK-043-04) ~.bin
Crystal Castles (1984) (Atari, Michael Kosaka, Peter C. Niday, Robert Vieira) (CX26110) ~.bin
Dig Dug (1983) (Atari - GCC, Douglas B. Macrae) (CX2677) ~.bin
Double Dragon (1989) (Activision, Dan Kitchen) (AK-050-04) ~.bin
Frogger 1983 Starpath Corp.bin
Ghostbusters (1985) (Activision, David Crane, Dan Kitchen) (AZ-108-04) ~.bin
Gyruss (1984) (Parker Brothers) (PB5080) ~.bin
Ikari Warriors (1989) (Atari) (CX26177) ~.bin
Journey Escape (1982) (Data Age) (112-006) ~.bin
Kung Fu Master (CCE).bin
Meteoroids (Suicide Mission Beta) (1982) (Arcadia Corporation, Steve Hales, Stephen Harland Landrum) (4) (AR-4102) (Prototype).bin
Moon Patrol (1983) (Atari - GCC, Mark Ackerman, Noellie Alito) (CX2692) ~.bin
Mountain King (1983) (CBS Electronics, E.F. Dreyer, Ed Salvo) (4L 2738 0000) ~.bin
Party Mix - Down on the Line, Handcar (3 of 3) (Paddle) (1983) (Starpath Corporation, Dennis Caswell) (10) (AR-4302).bin
Party Mix - Tug of War, Wizard's Keep (2 of 3) (Paddle) (1983) (Starpath Corporation, Dennis Caswell) (10) (AR-4302).bin
Pitfall II - Lost Caverns (1983) (Activision, David Crane) (AB-035-04) ~.bin
POPEYE.BIN
Pressure Cooker (CCE).bin
Rabbit Transit (Hopalong Catastrophe) (1983) (Starpath Corporation, Brian McGhie) (8) (AR-4104) ~.bin
Secret Quest (1989) (Atari - Axlon, Steve DeFrisco) (CX26170) ~.bin
Skate Boardin' (1987) (Absolute Entertainment, David Crane) (AG-042-02, AG-042-04) ~.bin
Smurf - Rescue in Gargamel's Castle (Smurf, Smurf Action) (1982) (Coleco, Henry Will IV) (2465) ~.bin
Star Wars - The Arcade Game (1984) (Parker Brothers, Wilfredo 'Willy' Aguilar, Michael Becker, Neil McKenzie, Bob Smith, Brad Stewart) (PB5540) ~.bin
StarWars_ESB.bin
Suicide Mission (Meteoroids) (1982) (Arcadia Corporation, Steve Hales, Stephen Harland Landrum) (4) (AR-4102) ~.bin
Tapper (1984) (Sega - Bally Midway - Beck-Tech) (010-01) ~.bin

Teller-Jonglieren! (AKA Dancing Plate) (1983) (Quelle) (685.996 1) (PAL).bin
Up 'n Down (1984) (Sega, Phat Ho - Bally Midway - Beck-Tech) (009-01) ~.bin
Vanguard (1982) (Atari - GCC, Dave Payne) (CX2669) ~.bin

Homebrews:

dot_20130211.bin (Atlas)
loaded4bearAI.bin
omicron_2k_20080113.bin
ReinderRescue.bin
SF2_20131217_RC8_NTSC.bin
spacegamedemo(portable).bin
spacegamedemo.bin

Edited by Mr SQL
Missed one

I have quite a list of games here with bgm.  Here goes:

Big Bird's Egg Catch, Cookie Monster Munch, Oscar's Trash Race (quality tunes for Atari's Sesame Street lineup)

Bump n Jump, Pengo, Phoenix (all three utilize difficulty or color/bw switches to turn off or on)

Congo Bongo, Crossbow (jungle level), Holey Moley, Jungle Hunt (Cannibal Camp level), Mr. Do's Castle, Omega Race, Pleiades (1st level), River Patrol, Roc n Rope, Xevious - latest prototype (arcade conversions

Cabbage Patch Kids Adventures in the Park, Peek-a-Boo, Secret Agent, Shooting Arcade, Telepathy (fish level), Pursuit of the Pink Panther (prototypes)

Bugs, Fire Fly, Gauntlet, Krull (1st level), Piece o' Cake, Sorcerer (weird and questionable)

King Kong, Raiders of the Lost Ark (when holding flute), Sentinel, Sneak n Peek (interesting as there is only music, no sound effects), Tunnel Runner (when monsters are close)

Challenge, Farmyard Fun, Forest, Lilly Adventure, MegaBoy, Mr. Postman, Panda Chase, Parachute, Peter Penguin, Pizza Chef, Ski Hunt, Ski Run, Stone Age, Treasure Island, Walker, Zoo Fun (foreign releases)

• Like 1