IGNORED

Favorite retro controller to use on the computer

The PS2 is my favorite controller of all time. I guess you could say the dual shock PS1 controller is very similar to the PS2 controller, but a off brand PS2 controller was the first one that I owned that was wireless. I own a wireless PS2 replica controller, which looks and feels almost identical to the PS2 controller, and I think it works best with any emulated system I use it with on the computer. Whether its the NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, Dreamcast, PS1, or PS2, I feel like a wireless PS2 style controller works perfect for any of these systems. In my opinion the PS2 style controller is programmable to use for any console on the computer.  I was just wondering what is everyone's favorite retro controller to use for the PC or for emulated systems on the computer?

Edited by Nintendo64

I use a PS2 controller with PS to USB adapter.  It works pretty well for most things.  But when I played the Mario 64 PC game, I had to use my XBox One controller.  I'm looking to get a USB joystick that I can use for MAME and such, but still kinda researching that...

12 hours ago, Eltigro said:

I use a PS2 controller with PS to USB adapter.  It works pretty well for most things.  But when I played the Mario 64 PC game, I had to use my XBox One controller.

That's too bad. I use my wireless PS2 style controller to play Mario 64 all the time and I feel it works great with all Nintendo 64 games.  I think one of the best things about emulation, besides the save states, is the ability to map out any controller any way you want.

Edited by Nintendo64

This wasn't emulation, though.  It was the PC version that was recently created and Nintendo went around trying to take down.  It required Windows 10...  just an exe you run and you're playing.  Looked awesome.  But it wouldn't recognize my PS2 controller.  Plugged in the XBox One controller and it worked perfect.

PS3 controller all the way.  Interface to PC using USB Mayflash adapter.  A single Mayflash supports 2 controllers in "direct input" mode, or 1 controller in XInput mode.  The basic layout of the Sony controllers is a good "one size fits all" compromise for multi-emulator setups, and maps perfectly into the "retro pad" layout of Retroarch.  Plus, cordless = win.  

18 hours ago, Eltigro said:

This wasn't emulation, though.  It was the PC version that was recently created and Nintendo went around trying to take down.  It required Windows 10...  just an exe you run and you're playing.  Looked awesome.  But it wouldn't recognize my PS2 controller.  Plugged in the XBox One controller and it worked perfect.

Ahh I see, was it much better than Mario 64? I really enjoyed playing Mario 64, I did finish the game, but I did not get all of the stars. The same goes for Banjo Kazooie, it is a great platformer game for the N64.

2 hours ago, Cynicaster said:

Plus, cordless = win.  

I have to agree with you there. I feel like a wireless controller is a must to play any game nowadays. I like using a wireless PS2 style controller for emulating old Nintendo games all the way to PS2 on my computer.

Edited by Nintendo64

This is my favorite retro controller for computers made for computers, not going to include knockoff nes, snes etc pads with USB port to usb adapters, clones etc.

The Gravis Gamepad Pro, the first evolution over their original basic 4 button controller I first had in the days of Wolfenstein 3D and other Apogee awesomeness of the very early 90s.  I recently got a few of these in a short period of time a year or two back, kept the rarer to find blue style this image shows(borrowed, not mine) and I even still have the original stick for it too.  As long as you don't need to be using analog it's a perfect little 10 button controller.

gamepad.JPG

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Tanooki said:

This is my favorite retro controller for computers made for computers, not going to include knockoff nes, snes etc pads with USB port to usb adapters, clones etc.

The Gravis Gamepad Pro, the first evolution over their original basic 4 button controller I first had in the days of Wolfenstein 3D and other Apogee awesomeness of the very early 90s.  I recently got a few of these in a short period of time a year or two back, kept the rarer to find blue style this image shows(borrowed, not mine) and I even still have the original stick for it too.  As long as you don't need to be using analog it's a perfect little 10 button controller.

gamepad.JPG

I mentioned earlier that I use PS3 controllers and it's mostly because they have pretty complete coverage of controls (including analog sticks) and they're cordless.  But I'm not really crazy about the d-pad on the PS3 controller; it's decent, but not the best, IMO. 

I also have this old Logitech USB controller I bought about 20 years ago.  It doesn't have analog sticks but I mostly play pre-analog stuff anyway.  The corded connection sucks for couch use, but it's great for travel, and the d-pad is outstandingly comfortable and responsive. 

Untitled picture.jpg

I have 8bitdo M30s and SN30s that I use with my PC via USB (since I don't have bluetooth in my desktop) and I really like the way they work with it. XInput support, works great with all sorts of emulators, and still paired to the Bluetooth in my Pi4 after using on the PC. 

I love retro controllers, and still have a few first-party controllers for old systems, but some of the newer stuff is also pretty retro feeling. 

Edited by derFunkenstein

On 6/3/2020 at 7:22 PM, solidus said:

For me its the XB1 controller for anything from PS1 emulation to modern pc games. Anything earlier I use a SNES controller converted to USB. Only exception is Ill use my 6 button Genesis controller for games that utilize it.

Agreed, my XB1 gamepad is great for all kinds of PC and emulated games.  The D-Pad is perfect for platformers and a much improvement over the 360 version. The face buttons and shoulder buttons perfectly match the SNES style configuration that RetroArch use w/o having to remap anything.  And the thumbsticks and triggers are prefect for arcade games that require analog control.  It's decent enough for fighting games and Genesis titles, but I would love to have a fighting gamepad with 6 face buttons and a thumbstick that hits diagonals better than the official controller could.

Before I got the XB1 gamepad, I used a wired 360 one for PC games and a USB based SNES gamepad for retro games.