IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 12 - Game 15 - Popeye

Downloaded jzintv and gave this a try.  Had to read a text version of the instruction manual, then still had to play it a few times to figure some things out.

Seem like the game was on a "timer" and I would die randomly, but I was letting too many of Olive's hearts get to the bottom of the screen.

Also couldn't punch Bluto until I ate me spinach!

Not sure I'll get any better using a keyboard, so here is my entry.

815899469_ScreenShot2020-06-13at9_20_32AM.thumb.png.103d44ea59075a4ad6038d584290e28b.png

• Like 4

Got to level 3, did a little better, but wasn't sure how to progress on this level.  Tried grabbing the letters in order to spell "HELP", but could only ever get "HE" before dying.  Definitely not a game I would have played in the 80s.

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 9.23.05 AM.png

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, gar0u said:

Got to level 3, did a little better, but wasn't sure how to progress on this level.  Tried grabbing the letters in order to spell "HELP", but could only ever get "HE" before dying.  Definitely not a game I would have played in the 80s.

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 9.23.05 AM.png

You don't need to get the letters in order.

It's exactly the same as the previous levels with the hearts - just grab all of them that come down to you in any order. The red ladder in the middle of the ship gains a rung with each letter you catch. Once the ladder reaches the deck above, you've caught enough letters and it moves you to level 4.

• Like 1

Small improvement, but it's too frustrating to push further. I really like other versions of this one, so it's a shame. Sometimes I'm in the zone and I don't think it's so bad, then I'm having to walk up level 3's stairs way off to the side or falling through the gaps and I just can't see past the controls and collision. I think Mattel made the best games here and some others were just looking to get their stuff on the system.

39,300 stage 4

567849257_Popeye2020-06-1422_46_13.thumb.png.eb6d379f7c8426b832e2d787c22fe271.png

• Like 2

Unofficial standings after Popeye

(HIGH SCORES)

1. 55,700 gezkc  [+11]

2. 52,900 BiffMan  [+10]

3. 48,700 JasonlikesINTV  [+9]

4. 48,100 cmadruga  [+7]

5. 40,600 Player One  [+6]

6. 39,300 fakecortex  [+5]

7. 36,700 Mangia-Boy  [+4]

8. 23,700 wolfy62  [+3]

9. 22,800 gar0u  [+2]

10. 20,900 JacobZu7zu7  [+1]

11. 14,700 roadrunner  [+1]

12. 13,600 jblenkle  [+1]

Rankings (through game 15)

1. BiffMan [+119]

2. gezkc [+116]

3. cmadruga [+94]

4. JasonlikesINTV [+81]

5. IntyFanMatt [+71]

6. JacobZu7zu7 [+68]

7. Ace24 [+64]

8. wolfy62 [+48]

9. mr_me [+46]

10. fakecortex [+39]

11. Player One [+32]

12. cparsely [+31]

13. dpisicane [+28]

14. Intelligentleman [+23]

15. jblenkle [+22]

16. ed1475 [+16]

16. Mangia-Boy [+16]

18. roadrunner [+15]

19. m-crew [+13]

20. Intellfan [+10]

21. hoosierdadee78 [+7]

22. S.BAZ [+4]

23. t0spmad [+2]

23. Mister-VCS [+2]

23. gar0u [+2]

26. DarthCloud [+1]

Games Won

4 - BiffMan (Atlantis - Demon Attack - Mission X  - Auto Racing)

4 - gezkc (Burgertime - Auto Racing - Happy Trails - Popeye)

3 - mr_me (Lock 'N Chase - Tron Deadly Discs - Space Hawk)

2 - IntyFanMatt (Frogger - Carnival)

1 - cmadruga  (Tron Deadly Discs speed 1 - Beamrider)

1 - cparsley (Mouse Trap)

1 - ed1475 (Space Armada)

• Thanks 5

12 hours ago, gar0u said:

Still figuring out 'jzintv'.  Just started playing with it yesterday.  :)

Jzintv automatically maps the left controller (disc, sides, and some keypad) to the first usb controller.  No customization necessary (for games with simple controls).

Edited by mr_me

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

I been a little sluggish and up and down with my updating at HSC, I think we can agree 2020 been a real crisis for us all, with fires, flooding, storms, Corona etc.

I found out not long after posting Popeye here, a childhood buddy of mine from school was driving his car lost control, it flipped and he was ejected and killed at the scene. :( I read about it online as it was in the towns newspaper... feel bad for him and his family and friends.

It happened at night, of my brothers birthday the 1st of June. One of those moments, where you wonder why you didn't say hello or something sooner... ? 

My other school friend who told me the bad news, she didnt know I was friends with him long ago, or that he came over to my house, and I do recall a phone call, he was like "what are you doing??" I said playing Super Mario Bros 2. " :cool: cool "

At the time he liked heavy metal, and yeah we were nuts... maybe not so much me, but we had our wacky moments. Laughing on the inside here.

LOL! *Skid Row sucks* It was a lot like Beavis and Butthead back then. I coulda asked him if he remembered all these things lol.

If going out for a drive do remember the seat belt! 200.gif

Edited by JacobZu7zu7
  • Sad 4

I'm so sorry to hear that Jacob. That must have been quite a shock.

I know it's a cliche, but stories like these do remind you how important it is to make the most of the time we have. You just never know what's round the corner. ?

Hang in there and thanks again for all your work on the HSC. A bit of light hearted (and often competitive!) nostalgia definitely helps us all get through the mess of 2020!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JacobZu7zu7 said:

Hey all,

I been a little sluggish and up and down with my updating at HSC, I think we can agree 2020 been a real crisis for us all, with fires, flooding, storms, Corona etc.

I found out not long after posting Popeye here, a childhood buddy of mine from school was driving his car lost control, it flipped and he was ejected and killed at the scene. :( I read about it online as it was in the towns newspaper... feel bad for him and his family and friends.

It happened at night, of my brothers birthday the 1st of June. One of those moments, where you wonder why you didn't say hello or something sooner... ? 

My other school friend who told me the bad news, she didnt know I was friends with him long ago, or that he came over to my house, and I do recall a phone call, he was like "what are you doing??" I said playing Super Mario Bros 2. " :cool: cool "

At the time he liked heavy metal, and yeah we were nuts... maybe not so much me, but we had our wacky moments. Laughing on the inside here.

LOL! *Skid Row sucks* It was a lot like Beavis and Butthead back then. I coulda asked him if he remembered all these things lol.

If going out for a drive do remember the seat belt! 200.gif

Very sorry to hear that news Jacob, that must’ve been very difficult for you to hear. Condolences to his family and I hope you are doing OK. 

• Like 2

Oh Jacob, that's terrible! Thank you for opening up and letting us know. I figured something was going on IRL for you around that time, but never imagined something that sad. 

I hope sharing here helps you and please feel free to share any other fun storiess about your friend if you wish. 

• Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 5:14 PM, BiffMan said:

Back on topic, another great choice for HSC!  I enjoyed the hell out of this on the 5200, but never have played the Intellivision version, so looking forward to this round!

Curious. So how did you play the Intellivision version? Did you just have it, have to buy it, use an Emulator or something else? I guess I'm just wondering what other options there are for people that don't have every game? Lol, yes I'm the 'new' n00b.... You are NOT cuz you just won the latest HSC Tourney... ?