IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 12 - Game 15 - Popeye

7 hours ago, JacobZu7zu7 said:

Hey all,

I been a little sluggish and up and down with my updating at HSC, I think we can agree 2020 been a real crisis for us all, with fires, flooding, storms, Corona etc.

I found out not long after posting Popeye here, a childhood buddy of mine from school was driving his car lost control, it flipped and he was ejected and killed at the scene. :( I read about it online as it was in the towns newspaper... feel bad for him and his family and friends.

It happened at night, of my brothers birthday the 1st of June. One of those moments, where you wonder why you didn't say hello or something sooner... ? 

My other school friend who told me the bad news, she didnt know I was friends with him long ago, or that he came over to my house, and I do recall a phone call, he was like "what are you doing??" I said playing Super Mario Bros 2. " :cool: cool "

At the time he liked heavy metal, and yeah we were nuts... maybe not so much me, but we had our wacky moments. Laughing on the inside here.

LOL! *Skid Row sucks* It was a lot like Beavis and Butthead back then. I coulda asked him if he remembered all these things lol.

If going out for a drive do remember the seat belt! 200.gif

So sorry to hear Jacob. I lost a childhood buddy two months ago to this damn virus. I knew him since 1st grade. It just sucks. Last time I saw him was a year ago. We went to a Yankees game together as I was up North visiting my parents in May 2019. Little did I know then it would be the last time I'd ever see him again... ???

• Sad 4

22 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

Curious. So how did you play the Intellivision version? Did you just have it, have to buy it, use an Emulator or something else? I guess I'm just wondering what other options there are for people that don't have every game? Lol, yes I'm the 'new' n00b.... You are NOT cuz you just won the latest HSC Tourney... ?

I do have 3 Intellivisions from BITD that I can't find the time to get working, so I play in emulation, usually with a Flashback Intellivision controller via USB or keyboard if it suits the game better.  If time and money were no object, I would absolutely be playing on original hardware with an LTO cart.  ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BiffMan said:

I do have 3 Intellivisions from BITD that I can't find the time to get working, so I play in emulation, usually with a Flashback Intellivision controller via USB or keyboard if it suits the game better.  If time and money were no object, I would absolutely be playing on original hardware with an LTO cart.  ?

I actually have 3 Intellivision Flashbacks right now. 2 of them glitched out meaning I guess something fried inside. The last one I have still works. The other two were garbage I guess cuz they didn't last long after purchase... ? Any idea where I can send the other two for fixing? BTW Congrats on your win. You and gezkc had a battle for the ages... ? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

I actually have 3 Intellivision Flashbacks right now. 2 of them glitched out meaning I guess something fried inside. The last one I have still works. The other two were garbage I guess cuz they didn't last long after purchase... ? Any idea where I can send the other two for fixing? BTW Congrats on your win. You and gezkc had a battle for the ages... ? 

Thanks! Definitely came down to the wire following gezkc's amazing performance on Happy Trails! 

Not sure if Flashback consoles are repairable, most folks just keep the controllers as spares or gut them and put a Raspberry Pi emulator on board. I'm sure there is plenty of knowledge on the subject of you search the main forum here. Failing that, post the question and be amazed at the quick responses and expertise! ?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

We went to a Yankees game together as I was up North visiting my parents in May 2019. Little did I know then it would be the last time I'd ever see him again... ???

Sorry as well :(  and this virus is scary to say the least.

3 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

Like Biffman said, a lot of people gutted their flashbacks, which means there might be working flashback PCBs around.  If you're interested post in the main intellivision forum, a request for a flashback pcb.

Another option is getting a usb adapter for the flashback controller so it can be used with any computer and emulator.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

Like Biffman said, a lot of people gutted their flashbacks, which means there might be working flashback PCBs around.  If you're interested post in the main intellivision forum, a request for a flashback pcb.

Another option is getting a usb adapter for the flashback controller so it can be used with any computer and emulator.

Thanks. I will look into both. My problem is my computer is a laptop for work. Meaning the place I work for owns it. So I really cannot download anything to it. ?

4 hours ago, BiffMan said:

Thanks! Definitely came down to the wire following gezkc's amazing performance on Happy Trails! 

Not sure if Flashback consoles are repairable, most folks just keep the controllers as spares or gut them and put a Raspberry Pi emulator on board. I'm sure there is plenty of knowledge on the subject of you search the main forum here. Failing that, post the question and be amazed at the quick responses and expertise! ?

That's what I use - an Intellivision Flashback housing a Raspberry Pi emulator. I have my original console too, but use the emulator for the games I don't have physical carts of. 

I think it's an easy job to do but I'm not very techy, so bought my Raspberry Pi ready-made. Byte Knight (a member of Atariage) built mine. I'm not sure if he's still doing them, @Rickster8but you could try messaging him. He's very helpful. 

Edited by gezkc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

Thanks. I will look into both. My problem is my computer is a laptop for work. Meaning the place I work for owns it. So I really cannot download anything to it. ?

Ethically, I see nothing wrong with using your work computer to play games on your personal time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

Ethically, I see nothing wrong with using your work computer to play games on your personal time.

Many companies lock down admin rights or do periodic scans of what you have installed, so it's nothing to trifle with if it's a condition of employment/code of conduct thing 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mr_me said:

Yes it's like Biffman said. I don't have admin rights so I would need 'permission' and games would be a NO. ?

Also if I download something and it's screws something up on our servers that's yet another no-no... Ugggh. I have the Flashback, but it's not suped up and they don't seem to be very durable as I've already had 2 that have popped in a very short time. Bought them on eBay... I know stupid.... 

?. I had the original Intellivision years ago, but it's broken in my parents attic. Must have had 35-40 cartridges BITD. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gezkc said:

That's what I use - an Intellivision Flashback housing a Raspberry Pi emulator. I have my original console too, but use the emulator for the games I don't have physical carts of. 

I think it's an easy job to do but I'm not very techy, so bought my Raspberry Pi ready-made. Byte Knight (a member of Atariage) built mine. I'm not sure if he's still doing them, @Rickster8but you could try messaging him. He's very helpful. 

Just curious, how long have you had the Flashback? It works fine, no problems? I had two that glitched out rather quickly. I'm on my 3rd and thankfully that's been going for a year strong. On the plus side I now have 6 disc hand controllers and 3 adapters so if one of them goes I'm good. It's just the console I'm having problems with. Either that or the wire that comes out of it for video / audio. I also have no earthly idea what a Raspberry Pi emulator is. Lol, I'm a n00b, I admit it. ?

A raspberry pi is a small computer and an emulator is software that emulates another computer e.g. intellivision.  The Flashback is also a computer with emulation software.  Gezkc had the flashback circuit board (PCB) removed and replaced with a raspberry pi.  If he has that flashback PCB hanging around he could send it to you; and you could replace your broken flashback pcb, fixing it.  Maybe Byteknight has a pile of flashback pcb.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mr_me said:

A raspberry pi is a small computer and an emulator is software that emulates another computer e.g. intellivision.  The Flashback is also a computer with emulation software.  Gezkc had the flashback circuit board (PCB) removed and replaced with a raspberry pi.  If he has that flashback PCB hanging around he could send it to you; and you could replace your broken flashback pcb, fixing it.  Maybe Byteknight has a pile of flashback pcb.

@Rickster8 As Mr_me said, my Flashback's no longer really a Flashback. It's just the shell with a Raspberry Pi computer inside running the jzintv emulator.

I don't have my old Flashback innards any more, but someone like Byte Knight probably has lots of spares as he takes them out and replaces them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gezkc said:

@Rickster8 As Mr_me said, my Flashback's no longer really a Flashback. It's just the shell with a Raspberry Pi computer inside running the jzintv emulator.

I don't have my old Flashback innards any more, but someone like Byte Knight probably has lots of spares as he takes them out and replaces them.

@gezkc So how many more games do you have with this emulator? The regular Intv Flashback has what 60 games? How many more do you have now and what games were added? Thx

3 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

@gezkc So how many more games do you have with this emulator? The regular Intv Flashback has what 60 games? How many more do you have now and what games were added? Thx

You can add and delete as many as you like - every available game in theory. Emulators use rom files for each game and there are lots of websites that allow you to download them, though from a legality point of view, you should only really download rom files of games you already own physical copies of (cough cough). 

I'm sure there must be threads on here explaining how emulators work and the best sites to find game files. 

• Haha 1

On 6/25/2020 at 3:53 PM, gezkc said:

You can add and delete as many as you like - every available game in theory. Emulators use rom files for each game and there are lots of websites that allow you to download them, though from a legality point of view, you should only really download rom files of games you already own physical copies of (cough cough). 

I'm sure there must be threads on here explaining how emulators work and the best sites to find game files. 

I contacted Byte Knight. I am going to send him one of my Flashbacks to be transformed into the Ultimate Flashback. ? I should have it ready to go for the next HSC..... Sweet ?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

I contacted Byte Knight. I am going to send him one of my Flashbacks to be transformed into the Ultimate Flashback. ? I should have it ready to go for the next HSC..... Sweet ?

Brilliant. You won't regret it - they're awesome! ?

• Like 1