IGNORED

The Jaguar YouTube and Twitter "Scene"

Rick Dangerous

I have encountered some really positive energy and posts/videos on Youtube and Twitter for both Jaguar and Lynx, mostly from what you would call newer fans of the consoles.

On the flip side, there are a lot of people now getting the GD drive, and i'm noticing a lot of ROMs of IPs from AA, CJ, Carl, etc and people that are particularly flippant about stealing these and doing whatever the hell they want.  I like the new energy, but there certainly seems to be a dark side; people just looking to exploit the jag scene for a few clicks and likes, no matter what the cost or at whose expense.

What is your take on this emerging portion of the Jaguardom?  I guess more people playing the console is better in the long run, and some will eventually buy homebrews and support the scene financially or otherwise with programming or participation. Still; I can't help but feel like I kind of liked it when AA was pretty much it for the Jaguar world.   Interested in your take as always! 

• Like 1

Well, more interest can bring more things to come.   It also has brought us a new found "high" demand for a system that used to cost $50, now runs $250-700 for price of admission.  I've been around for a long time, so I'm not much worried about the cost as I own all the retail stuff, but it I imagine it makes the "Jaguar" community look even more crazy than we already are.  

21 minutes ago, Rick Dangerous said:

I have encountered some really positive energy and posts/videos on Youtube and Twitter for both Jaguar and Lynx, mostly from what you would call newer fans of the consoles.

On the flip side, there are a lot of people now getting the GD drive, and i'm noticing a lot of ROMs of IPs from AA, CJ, Carl, etc and people that are particularly flippant about stealing these and doing whatever the hell they want.  I like the new energy, but there certainly seems to be a dark side; people just looking to exploit the jag scene for a few clicks and likes, no matter what the cost or at whose expense.

What is your take on this emerging portion of the Jaguardom?  I guess more people playing the console is better in the long run, and some will eventually buy homebrews and support the scene financially or otherwise with programming or participation. Still; I can't help but feel like I kind of liked it when AA was pretty much it for the Jaguar world.   Interested in your take as always! 

I'm unsure if this is directed towards me, given that I had an interaction with someone extremely critical of me using a Skyhammer ROM in my new Jaguar GameDrive.

I'll reiterate here. I'm not new to Atari and/or the Jaguar, I'm an avid collector of many systems and games, I continue to support homebrew and/or independent developers (even at a great personal import cost) and I will be purchasing Skyhammer for the Jaguar once I clear a couple of console/game sales.

?

• Like 1

A lot of people probably don't realize that any software for the console is still relevant, or official in any way. Especially those who've always avoided until now. The sale of new homebrew games for this system, or any other is quite obscured by the vastness of the Internet. There really needs to be a unified website where everyone who sells content for any legacy platform can have their products be found, all in the same place. Something more centralized and accessible than this forum for x console scene, that forum for y console scene, etc. I mean it's good that AA has a page of endorsed products, but I don't think it's enough.

But inevitably, there are going to be those that view any kind of flash cart as a hack to get anything for free.

17 minutes ago, Warmsignal said:

A lot of people probably don't realize that any software for the console is still relevant, or official in any way. Especially those who've always avoided until now. The sale of new homebrew games for this system, or any other is quite obscured by the vastness of the Internet. There really needs to be a unified website where everyone who sells content for any legacy platform can have their products be found, all in the same place. Something more centralized and accessible than this forum for x console scene, that forum for y console scene, etc. I mean it's good that AA has a page of endorsed products, but I don't think it's enough.

But inevitably, there are going to be those that view any kind of flash cart as a hack to get anything for free.

That's a great idea really; like a GOG but for retro consoles; linking out to specifically where the content can be bought.

Trying to find stuff sometimes you really have to be a detective; takes some serious digging to find certain home-brews that are only listed on a thread on a forum, let alone the store area. 

Speaking as a content creator that now focuses mainly on Jaguar and its respective games, it's not just to get 'clicks' and 'likes'. The system's always fascinated me, but I had been a SEGA whore since I was 6-years old. Always put SEGA - especially Saturn - above all else when collecting. Once I had an opportunity to get a Jaguar, thanks to my wife, I jumped on it. Since then, I've been a tad obsessed. Never would have dreamed I would end up buying another Jaguar for link-play purposes, or two IMAGIN shells for customization, or getting a Skunk to test upcoming home-brew titles, or losing many hours to Alien vs. Predator, Tempest 2000, Rebooteroids, Ultra Vortek, Defender 2000, Attack of the Mutant Penguins, and so on. Sure, it has some shit games, but that's one of the more fascinating things about this console; even its garbage is fascinating. 

When making my videos, I try to be fair. I wanna' show newcomers the gems as well as the crap. With any console, I feel, you gotta' take the good with the bad. To be completely honest, I'm really tired of the more negative shit said about the Jaguar because so much of it is either misinformation for the sake of laughs, or sheer ignorance. I try to counteract that with my videos. 

As for the trading of ROM files of home-brew titles, I feel toward that as I do with re-productions. So long as the game's still available, I'm all for supporting the developer and publisher. Skyhammer, Protector, Astrostorm, Rebooteroids, they're all still available. The folks that made 'em still see a return and they should receive compensation if you wanna' play their games. That being said, if it's something like BattleSphere where we may never see another run of carts and all sales are now secondhand - costing thousands of dollars - then I'm a bit more lenient. If they should ever announce another run and the carts are like $100, I'll happily pay it. It's well earned. 

Wouldn't worry too much about how people perceive the insanity or drama within the community. Every scene has its share, from Saturn to Neo Geo.... Especially Neo Geo. LOL!

• Like 7

Andrew Rosa,  I watch your video's and was a fan of Second Opinion Games before.   I have to say here that I'm a huge fan and love the "Atari Jaguar Ad" intro you have on your video's.   Even though its boosting the cost of the hardware and games, your great reviews are bringing a new light to a dead console, and very informative on some crap games, even though I feel bad about Wave 1 games, I feel he really did try to improve some things in his last game, but I didn't buy it either.   But thanks for showing the Jaguar as the great console it actually is, as crazy as that sounds, your video's have highlighted how good the system can be if you have the right games, anyway, just had to say thanks for the great vids and re-defining Atari Jaguars history.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

That's a great idea really; like a GOG but for retro consoles; linking out to specifically where the content can be bought.

I have one of the older Jaguar Flash Carts, but have yet to really use it.

That said, your GoG reference is interesting. I used to pirate DOS games back in the late 80s and early 90s... because, well... I was a child and not old enough to work. As I got older, I bought all the games I could, including when I worked at CompUSA for a while (haha). By the time I was... I dunno... 25, I'd managed to buy all my old games that I used to play as a kid, on original CD or DVD.

Then I learned about GoG. While I ALREADY have all the original CD and DVD disks for all the games I used to play, I found myself re-buying them all over again on GoG simply because they came in a nice digital package. That is:

- Totally updated with the latest version and bug fixes by the original developers

- Totally configured with DOSBOX or whatever other solution to ensure it works

- Additional content, hint books, etc.

So, there's something to be said for obtaining content digitally.

• Like 2

No offense to anyone, but I'm pretty much over most of the video game videos that are out there. There are only so many "HIDDEN GEMS" or "SNES vs GENESIS versions of XYZ" comparison videos I can watch. Or gameplay with someone who played the game for 15 minutes total before making the next video for money. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 7800JAGFAN said:

Andrew Rosa,  I watch your video's and was a fan of Second Opinion Games before.   I have to say here that I'm a huge fan and love the "Atari Jaguar Ad" intro you have on your video's.   Even though its boosting the cost of the hardware and games, your great reviews are bringing a new light to a dead console, and very informative on some crap games, even though I feel bad about Wave 1 games, I feel he really did try to improve some things in his last game, but I didn't buy it either.   But thanks for showing the Jaguar as the great console it actually is, as crazy as that sounds, your video's have highlighted how good the system can be if you have the right games, anyway, just had to say thanks for the great vids and re-defining Atari Jaguars history.  

LOL! I appreciate the kind words, and I'm glad you're enjoying the videos. That, and it's nice to think they're helping shed a different light on a much-maligned console. I do question how much impact my videos have on the console/games monetary value, only because my channel's pretty small. 3,500 subscribers may sound like a lot, though it's insignificant when compared to those that regularly crap all over the console. If anything, Second Opinion Games is having more of an impact. He has more subscribers than me and - before I had a Jaguar in my hands - his videos pointed me to games like Iron Soldier, Super Burnout and Rebooteroids....

Still, I remember prices being terrible prior to receiving my console. Console bundles on eBay (system, hook-ups, controller, two games - often lower tier titles like Cybermorph and Checkered Flag) typically selling for $250-$300. If it had some sought-after releases (Alien vs. Predator, Tempest 2000, Doom, and so on), tack on another $150-$200. That was just two years ago. Prices are still pretty horrendous. Fuck! Have you seen the bundles Jaguar CD bundles there? It makes my wallet clench as if it just dropped the soap in a prison shower room. Awful. That being said, a lot of this stuff will only sell for however much people are willing to pay. Jaguar fans it would seem have disposable income. LOL!

I wouldn't feel too bad for Wave1Games. According to him, his game's are selling well. He has three positive reviews for Saucer Wars, thanks to far more prominent content creators, and there's plenty of projects in the pipeline. His business seems to be thriving in spite of my input. 

3 minutes ago, madman said:

No offense to anyone, but I'm pretty much over most of the video game videos that are out there. There are only so many "HIDDEN GEMS" or "SNES vs GENESIS versions of XYZ" comparison videos I can watch. Or gameplay with someone who played the game for 15 minutes total before making the next video for money. 

Oh, so you've watched Nate the Gamer? Hahaha! 

I feel ya' though. A lot of channels do that, and there's more and more popping up every day. 

Andrew Rosa, well your videos are the best new stuff I've seen, and second opinion has always been a favorite.  3,500 followers of the right type, may be more of the "Jag" community than you think.  Your video's and "Sega Lord X" are some of the best reviews, so much I don't mind watching them after I already own the games myself.   Also don't forget, the Jaguar is currently at its highest selling point for now, even more that 2 years ago, so interested parties with "expendable" cash, will be watching your stuff, I'm sure. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

I receive a tremendous amount of interest and purchases for Snes2Jag Devices on Twitter (when they are available for sale) and Twitter followers are always super excited about Jag and Lynx Items. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 7800JAGFAN said:

Andrew Rosa, well your videos are the best new stuff I've seen, and second opinion has always been a favorite.  3,500 followers of the right type, may be more of the "Jag" community than you think.  Your video's and "Sega Lord X" are some of the best reviews, so much I don't mind watching them after I already own the games myself.   Also don't forget, the Jaguar is currently at its highest selling point for now, even more that 2 years ago, so interested parties with "expendable" cash, will be watching your stuff, I'm sure. 

Fair point, and thank you again. I'm fairly certain - at the very least - the last 1,500 subscribers have been due to my Jaguar videos, though many of them admit to already having the console. However, a lot of my fellow SEGA fans that subbed prior are now looking at the Jaguar with interest. That's kinda' cool. I feel the Jaguar deserves good attention. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Andrew Rosa said:

Oh, so you've watched Nate the Gamer? Hahaha! 

I feel ya' though. A lot of channels do that, and there's more and more popping up every day. 

Not sure I've watched him. I saw some new 32x vs genesis MK2 video this week, I've seen SO many of those over the years. There is some good content out there, I forget the series, but the guy who says he's broadcasting from space or whatever, classic game review? It's good for gameplay videos if I'm not familiar with a game. But then you've got 22 year olds reviewing Atari and NES games. Sorry, kid, I played that before you were even born. And then you've got some old timers clearly phoning it in just to rush out whatever garbage on Vita games or whatever they can.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, madman said:

Not sure I've watched him. I saw some new 32x vs genesis MK2 video this week, I've seen SO many of those over the years. There is some good content out there, I forget the series, but the guy who says he's broadcasting from space or whatever, classic game review? It's good for gameplay videos if I'm not familiar with a game. But then you've got 22 year olds reviewing Atari and NES games. Sorry, kid, I played that before you were even born. And then you've got some old timers clearly phoning it in just to rush out whatever garbage on Vita games or whatever they can.

He's fairly new. Only 119 subscribers and his views are in the toilet. Four months ago he reviewed the Jaguar and a few games. I think he falls in the "22-year old talkin' retro" category. If you wanna' face-palm harder than Ryan Reynolds after X-Men Origins, link below.

Yeah, the comparison videos are easy views. I'll touch on different versions in my shit - when available to me at least - though I rarely devote an entire video to it. Like you said, there's tons of 'em. Unless the host is going to do a deep dive into the 'how' and 'why', it's like, "Why bother? Watch VCDECIDE." They've made plenty of great side-by-side comparison videos spanning damn near every console. Unless they're sharing an opinion or preference, it's kinda' meh.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Andrew Rosa said:

If you wanna' face-palm harder than Ryan Reynolds after X-Men Origins, link below.

I think I watched less than 2 minutes of that, heard so much nonsense, clicked down thumb and closed it.  Aside from being annoyingly-in-your-face it was utterly farcical in his claims such as "Tom handles the polygons and textures" LMFAO.  

If you don't know wtf you are talking about, don't make a video attempting to teach people.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Andrew Rosa said:

He's fairly new. Only 119 subscribers and his views are in the toilet. Four months ago he reviewed the Jaguar and a few games. I think he falls in the "22-year old talkin' retro" category. If you wanna' face-palm harder than Ryan Reynolds after X-Men Origins, link below.

I'm getting bootleg Scott the Woz vibes from this Nate the Gamer fellow minus being actually funny.

43 minutes ago, madman said:

That's another thing I forgot to mention that I dislike about many YT videos, they often state a bunch of BS. I've seen many Neo Geo videos that are full of nonsense in that regard.

Well, that's certainly Nate the Gamer, though there's plenty more. I'd swear some of 'em don't even bother to skim Wikipedia. Instead, they're going completely off memory, or shit they heard in other videos. With Nate, considering what he recycled, pretty sure his "research" ended with the AVGN two-part episode.

4 minutes ago, Magmavision2000 said:

I'm getting bootleg Scott the Woz vibes from this Nate the Gamer fellow minus being actually funny.

I've actually never watched Scott the Woz. Heard good things here and there, but always get side-tracked. Generally end up watching Techmoan or Technology Connections. 

• Like 1

I'll watch some review videos from time to time, but like others have echoed already, there's far too much low-rate reviews out there that focus more on trying to be entertaining rather than informative. And yes, they're not going to tell me anything I don't already know, at least when it comes to the Jag, but it's nice seeing what others think of some of the same games I've enjoyed over the years. I enjoy Andrew's videos quite a bit. Second Opinion Games has been enjoyable as well, even though he's far too lenient on many Jag games. Regarding non-Jag related content, I've really enjoyed Sega Lord X's stuff, probably because I'm almost as big of a Sega fanboy as I am an Atari one.

• Like 3

I just get so sick of hearing all the negatively surrounding the console by so many of the Johnny-come-latelys. I think their reference for info on the console is most likely the 10 year old AVGN episode. We get it, you think the console sucks, you think all the games suck, and you think it's entertaining just to talk about how much you think it sucks. Sorry, that's not entertaining. That's been done before. All the info on the console is readily available by now, so what are they evening bringing to the table? Just trying to get clicks?

The only recent Jag content I've liked is Andrew's.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Warmsignal said:

I just get so sick of hearing all the negatively surrounding the console by so many of the Johnny-come-latelys. I think their reference for info on the console is most likely the 10 year old AVGN episode. We get it, you think the console sucks, you think all the games suck, and you think it's entertaining just to talk about how much you think it sucks. Sorry, that's not entertaining. That's been done before. All the info on the console is readily available by now, so what are they evening bringing to the table? Just trying to get clicks?

I don't like Andrews content because he's driving up the price of the console. .

Damn you Andrew

• Haha 1

Like MadMan, I'm kind of worn out on these videos. The only video game videos I tend to really watch, are the ones that are reviewing REALLY old games that I grew up with... it gives me all the nostalgia I'm craving in that 5 minute video, so then I don't have to go re-install the old game and play it again... by the time the video is over, I've gotten my fix of "Arctic Fox" or "Ace of Aces" or whatever old-ass game... and then I can move on with my life... hah.

5 hours ago, Warmsignal said:

Accurate. Unfrotunately, many of 'em tend to do well. Like you, I find them boring. I'll watch Stop Skeletons from Fighting, Southern Sega Gentleman, and Retro Gaming Arts. That, or Gamer Ahmer because her collection's positively insane (kiosks out the ass, and she enjoys SEGA and Atari). I dig the "Punching Weight" series on SSFF, and SSG is pretty fuckin' genuine and fair. Retro Gaming Arts focuses mainly on console repair, modification, etc. That got me into trying my hand at soldering. Those are good channels where I feel they actually care. They wanna' make content that has value beyond, "The CD-i is total fucking gar-bitch! Thank you so much for liking, commenting and subscribing. Be sure to check out my Patreon, and hit the gift shop for a hot beverage thermal mug and free balloons for the kids!" 

Also, I'm glad you dig on the videos. I'm working on Hover Strike right now (cart only, for I don't have Jaguar CD), but I'm really wanting to see the final. The previous owner told me it's hard as fuck. LOL!

5 hours ago, JagChris said:

I don't like Andrews content because he's driving up the price of the console. .

Damn you Andrew

If it makes you feel any better, I'm kinda' fucking myself too. There's shit I still want like Attack of the Mutant Penguins, Breakout 2000, and Atari Karts.  

Edited by Andrew Rosa
I used 'still' too many times for my liking.