IGNORED

Magnetic Scrolls adventures - Single ATR version

Something that has been on the cards for undertaking in order to make titles more playable with the elimination of disk-swapping...

A single-disk compilation of the Rainbird/Magnetic Scrolls adventure games; The Pawn, The Guild of Thieves & Jinxter

This first post is just a work-in-progress teaser but should be playable, e.g. from an SIO2xx device or under emulation.

Still to do is the re-mapping of loading and saving, so please avoid that for now until the next update :) 

rainbird-wip.atr

• Like 20

Not sure it's working properly in Altirra, after loading and some text, a graphics screen lowers from the top and covered

the text before I had read it all, now when I move or "look" the text at the bottom of the screen scroll up under the graphics.

I've not played this before, so is there a way to remove the graphics so the text can be read or is this a bug ?

Edit: it's OK, I played around and found START and SELECT move the graphics up and down ?

Edited by TGB1718
Update
  • Thanks 1

Your'e welcome!

Here's the first version where the saving and loading should be possible.

All titles have 8 slots and so here they share them, so if you try and load a slot from a different title then you'll receive a 'fatal' error and asked to reboot the game disk.

This version brings up a question of preference as part of the copy-protection is to request a word from the game docs in order to proceed (with 3 tries).

So I would think the consensus would be to have this bypassed but seeing as the docs are available online then it might be worth leaving that in - let me know and I'll investigate if necessary.

image.png.5eaea3f5f3621ea1705d6e8784e7d2f9.png

rainbird-rel1.atr

Edited by Wrathchild
screenshot added
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Wrathchild said:

So I would think the consensus would be to have this bypassed but seeing as the docs are available online then it might be worth leaving that in - let me know and I'll investigate if necessary

Easiest/least obtrusive would seem to be to have it always succeed regardless of what is typed, right?

14 hours ago, Wrathchild said:

From a quick debug, I have a feeling this is all being controlled by the game's interpreted code

Oof, well that makes it a bit more difficult doesn't it. Still, with modern tools, snapshot the success state, snapshot the failure state, diff and you've got what you need to replicate i would think. Bless the small memory area and therefore static memory maps between runs...