IGNORED

Game Gear Micro

People are treating this as a serious release; it's just a little toy, like Sega and other Japanese makers do all the time. There are dozens of these types of things there from all the major manufacturers in Japan at any given moment.

I wouldn't get worked up about it. The weirdest part to me is all the coverage this is getting. The Game Gear wasn't even particularly popular here.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

People are treating this as a serious release; it's just a little toy, like Sega and other Japanese makers do all the time. There are dozens of these types of things there from all the major manufacturers in Japan at any given moment.

I wouldn't get worked up about it. The weirdest part to me is all the coverage this is getting. The Game Gear wasn't even particularly popular here.

There's a certain crowd that's aching for Sega to release anything even remotely resembling hardware.  To them, this is basically the Switch killer.

• Haha 6

57 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

There would literally be thousands of us who would be prepared to pay up to $50 to legally play games like the shining force game gear series on anything playable including steam. 

Hell, many of these games are already on things like the 3ds virtual console! It feels like a massive waste that the only product some of these games is being released on is a joke product. They could literally stick this on the existing collections which already includes some game gear games anyway,and charge us the usual going rate for individual games. 

Its like sega doesn't even want free money. 

Sega did a cash grab in my eyes. This is a product that I would stay away from even if it somehow makes it to the states. I know the mini's a big trend right now, but what Sega is doing is a concept done wrong in this cause for people like myself. 

• Like 1

At first when I heard about it, I was thrilled because either early translation/rumor or someones typo lead me to believe you had 4 colors and 40 games on the unit for $50.  I was like awesome, hell of a deal and choice of how it looks, and the size to me still seemed comfy enough as I like the GB Micro.

Today I had time, reading and I came across it again to find out it's $50 with 4 games on each color, unique games no less.  Total kick in the teeth.  As said above my post, a cash grab, and that's blatantly and to the point IT.  I wouldn't pay half their asking price, probably not even more than $10-15 for something with just 4 games on it.  This is a really bad idea as it stand, easily fixed loading it up with all 16 even on each of the 4, but no, just 4 games and if you rudely considered the hardware free...that's $12.50 each on those old titles.  No, just no.  It went from an instant buy to an instant you couldn't pay me to own it.

4 hours ago, spacecadet said:

There were more stores selling game gears than Atari Lynxes.

And game gear has more games than Lynx too.

10 hours ago, Mikebloke said:

There would literally be thousands of us...

(snip)

Its like sega doesn't even want free money. 

I mean, "thousands" of Americans wanting to play a game on a piece of hardware that they're producing in Japan doesn't really sound like a winning business proposition to me.

I understand that some people are looking for this to be something it isn't. Instead, look at it for what it is. Which is a Japanese toy. Import it if you want, or don't. It's really not worth getting angry about like some people here seem to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I mean, "thousands" of Americans wanting to play a game on a piece of hardware that they're producing in Japan doesn't really sound like a winning business proposition to me.

I understand that some people are looking for this to be something it isn't. Instead, look at it for what it is. Which is a Japanese toy. Import it if you want, or don't. It's really not worth getting angry about like some people here seem to be.

Who said anything about Americans? Also, I mentioned software solutions as well. It doesn't have to mean that these things gets released in the west, they could just add it to their mega drive collection on steam... Just a waste of good IP, that the only thing some of these games are ending up on... is something completely useless. So yes, its frustrating.

That little blue cart in the middle, that's my go to still after seeing this dumpster fire of greed by Sega with so little costing so much per each one.  That specific cart (not the newer 106 or so in 1 now online) has an amazing array of titles including translated greats we missed.  I can just pop that into my Gameboy Micro and get the same tiny footprint of a handheld and not feel like I was taken for a ride.  It's a true shame.  I'd hope they'd walk it back and be reasonable, but it's too soon to release with all shown so that's 100% impossible.

IMG_3112.thumb.jpg.2ccdad6db01df4b5f498cebe451e94cc.jpg

To me, it's a matter of knowing that apparently someone CAN release a product with the Game Gear IP, they're just choosing to release crap. It's not like the GG was big enough that they're likely to try again if this flops.  So chances are, this will be a wasted opportunity.  And haven't we had enough of those?

• Like 2

Check out what the 5 best-selling mini consoles are at the time of this post on Amazon Japan

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/videogames/1025478/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_videogames

Technically this is the "other video games" section, but this is where mini consoles and VR go.

And here's Rakuten Books' video games best selling list, just for fun.

https://books.rakuten.co.jp/ranking/daily/006/#!/1?l-id=item-c-rank

They are not there right now, but here's Sega Store's weekly ranking. I imagine they will show up there next week.

https://ebten.jp/sega/ranking

And I forgot Amazon's overall video games sales rankings. Sure enough, it's outselling the Switch, PS4, Xenoblade, and The Last of Us 2. As of this exact moment, of course. Who knows how this will change by tomorrow or something.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=zg_bs_unv_vg_1_1025478_2

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 2:25 PM, Tanooki said:

That little blue cart in the middle, that's my go to still after seeing this dumpster fire of greed by Sega with so little costing so much per each one.  That specific cart (not the newer 106 or so in 1 now online) has an amazing array of titles including translated greats we missed.  I can just pop that into my Gameboy Micro and get the same tiny footprint of a handheld and not feel like I was taken for a ride.  It's a true shame.  I'd hope they'd walk it back and be reasonable, but it's too soon to release with all shown so that's 100% impossible.

IMG_3112.thumb.jpg.2ccdad6db01df4b5f498cebe451e94cc.jpg

Dumpster fire of greed? Come on, lighten up. The GG Micros are fun collectibles. Posting a pirate cart and talking about someone else's greed.

2 hours ago, Zoyous said:

Dumpster fire of greed? Come on, lighten up. The GG Micros are fun collectibles. Posting a pirate cart and talking about someone else's greed.

Stuff like this makes me take a soft approach to piracy.  

51 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

Stuff like this makes me take a soft approach to piracy.  

Meaning what? You feel justified pirating stuff because you think something is overpriced? I'm not even trying to debating the issue of piracy. It's illegal and if you want to do it, that's your choice. If the five GG Micro SKUs are currently the top 5 selling minis on Amazon Japan, I guess Sega read the market correctly and they're not missing your sale. I'm just personally tired of this kind of fly-off-the-handle hyperbolic outrage to any announcement by a game company. "Like, last week I never even imagined a Game Gear mini console, but now I'm furious about it being different from what I think it should be." Okay. If someone regularly experiences a feeling of intense anger regarding video games and has to vent online about it with incendiary language... that's a sign that some counseling would be well-advised.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Zoyous said:

Meaning what? You feel justified pirating stuff because you think something is overpriced? I'm not even trying to debating the issue of piracy. It's illegal and if you want to do it, that's your choice. If the five GG Micro SKUs are currently the top 5 selling minis on Amazon Japan, I guess Sega read the market correctly and they're not missing your sale. I'm just personally tired of this kind of fly-off-the-handle hyperbolic outrage to any announcement by a game company. "Like, last week I never even imagined a Game Gear mini console, but now I'm furious about it being different from what I think it should be." Okay. If someone regularly experiences a feeling of intense anger regarding video games and has to vent online about it with incendiary language... that's a sign that some counseling would be well-advised.

Meaning I will buy, and re-buy, games I want when it's convenient and cost-effective.  I'm not opposed to parting with my money, multiple times over.  But when it takes years, or even decades, for some of these companies to get it right... figure out the market... fuck, I'm not going to wait on them.  I've only got so many years left and I'm not going to spend them figuring out how to legally pay $4 for After Burner.

• Like 1

I see these as just toys... same as the Mini MyArcade units. I would pick one up if I find one in the wild (assuming it has no insame markup), but wouldn't bother to order online for it.

Perhaps Sega is thinking that whoever cares about seriously playing the games is already doing so. After all, it's not hard to find a GG emulator with all the portable emulator boxes going around. So they came up with a cute mini toy instead, which happens to be functional.

From that perspective it's pretty neat, makes for a nice gift to non-gamers who are aware of the GG but wouldnt invest in one nowadays.

Edited by Newsdee
  • Like 1