IGNORED

Game Gear Micro

On 6/6/2020 at 4:27 PM, godslabrat said:

Meaning I will buy, and re-buy, games I want when it's convenient and cost-effective.  I'm not opposed to parting with my money, multiple times over.  But when it takes years, or even decades, for some of these companies to get it right... figure out the market... fuck, I'm not going to wait on them.  I've only got so many years left and I'm not going to spend them figuring out how to legally pay $4 for After Burner.

Bingo.  So yeah, dumpster fire of greed, and no I won't change my mind on it as there's no justification of $50 for a slightly smaller than gameboy micro with 4 cheap games on it.  It's a huge let down would you not agree?  I'm fine paying for something when it's reasonable and well done as I've had my share and re-share of games and systems too.  But my patience only lasts so long, it's not like they're a necessity, so if something is dished out in an unacceptable means or not at all, I'll find another route.  So yeah, multicarts, and yeah I have flash kits too.  I'd rather pay the developer, but if it's between using a kit and paying someone in the current climate taking advantage of others with a 50-100% mark up over the winter and early spring pricing, right I will as it's not getting kicked back to the game maker.  I'm not a fan of piracy either, but I have no objection as you put it to soft piracy.

I can't really think of it as a letdown because it was completely unexpected to me... pesonally I think they're cool, although impractically small for actual extended gameplay. I would put them in a similar category to Replicade 1/6 arcade cabinets. There's just something incredibly cool about a really accurate, functional miniature even if it's actually not very comfortable to use. However, I have to wonder if there will be any Western release at all, since I seem to recall when they announced the Mega Drive Mini it was announced as a simultaneously worldwide release. I did hear that Hajime Satomi said that pre-orders for the GG Micro are so good that they are going to continue making such products in the future, so that's good news.

Regarding the multicarts, I would never be able to agree with the curation... there's always something missing. So I would just go with installing an emulator and a library of my own selections. I do think it's helpful to not actually have the entire library to sift through. For MAME I ended up choosing <100 games and I've enjoyed using it a lot more.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

I changed my mind. I thought Sega would be sane and have it be like a SNES, NES, or PSX mini, but only 4 games? Why?

Business tactics.

You have four different gamegears with four games each.

Game Gear Minis are for collectors only. And Sega knows that.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for Sega.

I think Nintendo should do the exact same thing with the Game Boy: Different casing colors, each color having a specific set of games, but far more than just 4 games. With 10+ games (including a few third-party titles) you'd have something worth buying.

Nintendo probably has enough business, enough profit and enough fandom to not have to bother with that. They can release emulated Game Boy games on Switch if they really want to.

But yes, the reference to the Replicade cabinets is a very relevant one. The size of those also make them seem more for display than actual playing.

The interesting thing will be if Sega really has one more ace in their sleeve as some believe they might, or if this was all for the 60th anniversary.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 1:25 PM, Tanooki said:

That little blue cart in the middle, that's my go to still after seeing this dumpster fire of greed by Sega with so little costing so much per each one.  That specific cart (not the newer 106 or so in 1 now online) has an amazing array of titles including translated greats we missed.  I can just pop that into my Gameboy Micro and get the same tiny footprint of a handheld and not feel like I was taken for a ride.  It's a true shame.  I'd hope they'd walk it back and be reasonable, but it's too soon to release with all shown so that's 100% impossible.

IMG_3112.thumb.jpg.2ccdad6db01df4b5f498cebe451e94cc.jpg

Yeah that GBA cart is pretty awesome. That and that little Coleco sega handheld are my go to for portable sms/gg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Black_Tiger said:

How do you you guys play SMS games off of a GBA cart? On a DS or something?

I tried a SMS emulator on a GBA flashcart bitd and too much of the picture got cut off by the lower resolution.

I assume it's the same thing, just with that emulator embedded into a rom instead of run off a flash cart.

Edited by godslabrat

9 hours ago, Black_Tiger said:

How do you you guys play SMS games off of a GBA cart? On a DS or something?

I tried a SMS emulator on a GBA flashcart bitd and too much of the picture got cut off by the lower resolution.

I have that regionally atgames released 30 GG+SMS games handheld and it's accurate.  Then in that pic I showed, that has 100 GG+SMS carts, they run the ROMs through SMS Advance which is very accurate. T he cut off you speak of is when running SMS games vs GG as the SMS has a larger TV resolution so it gets compressed to fit the panel, but GG games run correctly in a square since the height there isn't an issue.

Those GBA emulators (PocketNES, PCE Advance, SMS Advance, GOomba/GOomba Color) did get converted to DS for the better hardware performance and resolution. Further, more demanding stuff like SNES, Neo Geo, GEnesis got added to the DS and they work great too.  I have a card I have setup that runs all the Neo Geo MVS games using NeoDS v0.21 just marvelously.

Edited by Tanooki

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Well that's one, no shock, and the obvious two, sucks.  I'd actually consider buying it as I usually don't like shooter packages but the Aleste line if anything is consistent.

Yeah, I actually wanted this one because it's Aleste. Play-Asia looks like they will be getting some in stock, though

https://www.play-asia.com/search/Aleste+Collection+[Game+Gear+Micro+Limited+Edition]

I haven't actually gotten anything from Play-Asia for over 10 years, but since I have an account, I did sign up for notifications for both PS4 and Switch versions just to see what happens.

I haven't bought from them in over a decade once they really started jamming up their prices and their shipping costs.  In the last few years I'd stuck with yes-asia as they're pretty fast about it and if you spend like over $40~USD or so shipping is free too.  I've found on stuff I've picked up their prices comparable to the US rates on the games that we get screwed into digital only that are english/physical for them.  I'll check and see if they have it as now I'm curious.

I'm digging on this, not really a fan of the price.  $67 at yesasia, $71 at play-asia.  It's the Switch release of the Aleste collection, 4 classic 8bit/arcade Sega release stuff of the franchise.

https://m2stg.com/aleste-collection/

Edited by Tanooki

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It seems it's been a while since we last discussed the Game Gear Micro, but I got an email from BEEP saying that they restocked the PS4 version of the Aleste Collection with the Game Gear Micro somehow, so I bought one. It will arrive next year. This was the only version of the Game Gear Micro that I was really interested in and I've been wanting to try Aleste anyway, so I'm glad I managed to get it. Thoughts on it when it gets here. Here it is in case anyone wants to get it and not pay scalper prices for it:

https://www.beep-shop.com/ec/products/detail/6979

Although it was supposed to be here next year, it got here today. Here it is with its boxes and the Big Window Micro attached and with some common household items like a AA battery, a Switch game, 50 yen, and Sonic & Knuckles for size comparison.

Pic_1229_504.thumb.jpg.c9454c59a055a35ead28742870ca859f.jpg

The d-pad on this thing is horrible in general and horrible for playing Aleste specifically, but at least I can say that I played the new Game Gear game GG Aleste 3, which was released only 5 days ago, on a tiny Game Gear. Yay~, I suppose.

The Big Window helps, but the image is still relatively small. The screen is very bright and quite nice. No options can be adjusted aside from screen brightness, but there is a little game where you can destroy the credits. It doesn't save your high score for the credit-destroying game when you power cycle, sadly.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 2