IGNORED

Game Gear Micro

I'd been thinking of getting a Game Gear recently. I tried a friend's Game Gear back in like 1996~1997 or so for a few minutes, but that's it. I doubt this will make me want to buy this in place of a real Game Gear, but maybe I will check it out. Price has apparently been leaked at 4980 yen:

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/06/game-gear-micro-announced

No choice but to wait a few more hours to see what the announcement at 1300 today is. Still, I'm mildly interested to see what exactly this thing is, so I'll be sure to keep the thread updated when they make the announcement. I'll maybe do some quick translations, but don't expect anything super elaborate because I'm ultra lazy!

Okay, so we have a PV for it

4 different colors, each with 4 different games. 4980 yen each, release date is October 6th, which is apparently the 30th anniversary of the release of the Game Gear. Happy birthday, I guess. Interesting game choices for sure, and I certainly was DEFINITELY not expecting 2 Last Bible games.

The Big Window is back for the Micro, but it seems you have to preorder one of the sets to get it.

Shop 特典 here. https://60th.sega.com/ggmicro/shop.html

特典 doesn't really translate well to English, but it's basically special crap that you can only get at that one store, and each store has their own special thingy unique to them. This is extremely common here, and it's pretty annoying to have to choose what you want and what you don't want.

Sega Store set gives a non-functioning clear one. This clear one is not a game system, just a display thingy.

Also available at Rakuten is a set with all 4 variants and a pin set.

Amazon has some shirts. Yay, I guess.

Sega Store page says it's the same staff from the Mega Drive Mini. Yay, that means it will probably have huge input lag and sound lag! It does not mention M2 by name, though.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
formatting and stuff
  • Like 1

Yeah, I agree... it really looks like it would be too small to use.  But... being $45 or less would make me forgive a lot... 

edit:  Just watched the video... you only get four games, and each color has a different four games.  Forget that!!!

Edited by godslabrat

3 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

特典 doesn't really translate well to English, but it's basically special crap that you can only get at that one store, and each store has their own special thingy unique to them. This is extremely common here, and it's pretty annoying to have to choose what you want and what you don't want.

Isn't that what is called SKU or bundle? In the threads about AtGames' products, @Bill Loguidice tend to mention how they make special editions for certain stores in order for them to have a unique bundle. I kind of like the term "special crap" though.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Isn't that what is called SKU or bundle? In the threads about AtGames' products, @Bill Loguidice tend to mention how they make special editions for certain stores in order for them to have a unique bundle. I kind of like the term "special crap" though.

I guess you can call it that, but I've always thought of SKU as being more of a technical term (stock keeping unit) for business use whereas 特典 is like "Hey, here's some limited edition special crap for you that you can't get anywhere else!" or something like that. Not really sure if I can explain it properly... basically, the 特典 is the special crap itself, not the actual product. Typically, you can also only get them through preorders.

I think it's just one of those weird things that doesn't translate 100% properly since there really isn't an English equivalent that I can think of. Japan LOVES limited edition stuff, though. Like there are limited edition potato chips at convenience stores, and they get new types basically every week or every 2 weeks, limited edition video games, limited edition train tickets for limited edition trains, limited edition movie tickets, limited edition Coca-Cola (usually lemon in the summer, but we also had vanilla float last summer!) which sometimes comes in limited edition cans, and other stuff like that. It's really a marketing trick more than anything since companies know that Japanese consumers love limited edition stuff for whatever reason.

A lot of the time, it's useless crap like a clear file folder or IC card sticker, but sometimes you get ABSURD amounts of cool stuff like B2 tapestries and some of the other awesome stuff from the Famitsu DX packs that you can find on ebten.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, English Invader said:

I'm a long-standing Game Gear collector with over 300 games and accessories and I'm absolutely disgusted with this.  A full size replica with 40-50 games would have been a no-brainer purchase but a micro with 4 different games for each colour is a joke.

Half size GG but with full size screen...

• Like 1

If they really wanted to do it right, they'd collaborate with Analogue on the Pocket and get the Mega Sg officially licensed or something.

Still, over the past few years, I've had a growing feeling that Sega is very slowly going back to being the awesome company that I remember when I was a kid, and this is very much in line with what that Sega would do. It's way too expensive for what it is and probably way too small, but this is very much reminiscent of what the Sega of the 90s would do... and I'm not sure that's what they need right now, since I believe they are still trying to financially recover from the 32X/Saturn/Dreamcast era.

• Confused 1

I noticed Sega are cooperating with Seiko on two wrist watches as well (44000 and 47300 yen on Sega Store), part of the 60th Anniversary. While Seiko is a quality brand, I'm not sure if the price reflects what the product represents outside of collector purposes.

27 minutes ago, carlsson said:

I noticed Sega are cooperating with Seiko on two wrist watches as well (44000 and 47300 yen on Sega Store), part of the 60th Anniversary. While Seiko is a quality brand, I'm not sure if the price reflects what the product represents outside of collector purposes.

Yeah, I saw that earlier today when I was over on ebten. Honestly, I'm pretty disappointed. I was looking forward to seeing some awesome Sega things for their 60th anniversary and maybe even buying something, but the only things they have are this stuff:

https://ebten.jp/sega/1574

Sadness. Maybe I'll get the shirt as a consolation prize. They tried... barely.

Just now, carlsson said:

Get the towels, and you can enjoy how Sega is in your face. The keychain with four different sounds for 660 yen seems like the best value for money.

Right? Hand towels are really popular here. Funny that you'd mention the keychain, as I actually have that open in another tab right now. Judging by the video, it looks annoyingly massive, though.

They were already an annoying company after the Dreamcast died, unfortunately. I miss the old Sega from before the death of the Dreamcast. At least the 2 good things they have done since then are to bring Sakura Taisen back from the dead after over a decade and to buy Atlus, rescuing them from being bought by worse companies and providing funding for Shin Megami Tensei V.

1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

They were already an annoying company after the Dreamcast died, unfortunately. I miss the old Sega from before the death of the Dreamcast. At least the 2 good things they have done since then are to bring Sakura Taisen back from the dead after over a decade and to buy Atlus, rescuing them from being bought by worse companies and providing funding for Shin Megami Tensei V.

I would add Fzero GX to that list too

So we finally get all the shining force game gear games rereleased, and the screen is how small?!? Given they were not all translated, OK there is CD but final conflict never was - it would be curious if it did find itself outside of Japan. 

Its only saving grace would be a TV out cable, hell even if its composite only. The big screen accessory seems an amusing throwback similar to the tower thing for the mega drive... But why micro it that small. 

I mean half the total games are rpgs of some description, how is anyone going to read it? 

So

1) it's too small

2) many games were never released in English, so chances of western release unlikely 

3) pushing the big screen accessory likely means no TV out

4) we would totally pay the price of all four for one version that was readable and had a bigger library, or some way of adding more. It could probably get away with filling it with all the sonic spin off games and anything else sega still owns. 

Shame. English and TV out and I would buy the shining force one. 

I would buy the AliExpress theory if it wasn't for what the Sega Store page says, translated by Google:

The production staff of the "Mega Drive Mini" mini-game console, which raised the beginning of Reiwa, reunited for this project. We have achieved a high degree of perfection as a miniature toy that allows you to play games even though it is small. M2 Co., Ltd. is still in charge of the software part. This time as well, we have provided great fun that cannot be thought of as a micro size, with reproducibility and perfection that have been carefully selected.

Perhaps it is a $10 handheld which can be field reprogrammable so they installed some GG emulation image and the four games, which were made by the named parties.