IGNORED

Sega Gamegear battery pack charging

Hi all

Just got hold of a Sega Gamegear console which I have just recapped to get it working but with it came an L.P.M Gamster powergrip plugin battery pack for the gamegear my question is does anyone know what voltage power supply i need to use to see if it will charge up.

many thanks in advance

gamester.jpg

As far as I know, it recharge with the GG power apdater, which is the same than the Master System/Megadrive 1 power adapter.

I don't know about those batteries, but I have a different model that use lithium battery pack (which is a standard Nikko-style 7.2V battery pack).

More than likely, your battery back will be dead flat. If it wasn't used in years, even if is used lead batteries, they are more than likely dead as well.

17 minutes ago, CatPix said:

As far as I know, it recharge with the GG power apdater, which is the same than the Master System/Megadrive 1 power adapter.

I don't know about those batteries, but I have a different model that use lithium battery pack (which is a standard Nikko-style 7.2V battery pack).

More than likely, your battery back will be dead flat. If it wasn't used in years, even if is used lead batteries, they are more than likely dead as well.

People have replaced the internals of these battery packs with something a bit more contemporary (can't remember the specifics but I've seen them on eBay as well as mod videos on YouTube) and they get about 8 hours life out of them per charge (which is a lot better than the 3 hours I used to get back in the day).

Personally, I just use the mains adaptor these days anyway.  Neither the Lynx or the Game Gear offer the kind of portability that would make it worthwhile for me to use them on the go (I'd much rather play them crashed out on the sofa).

Edited by English Invader

As I said, the pack adapter I have is a model you clip on your pants/belt, and inside, you have a very common Nikko toy 7.2V battery back (up to even the connector being the same). So I could restore it easily indeed.

But as you point out, the usefulness for it is quite mediocre. Maybe to test systems in garage sales, but it's no longer very common...

Edited by CatPix

On 6/3/2020 at 12:04 PM, CatPix said:

As I said, the pack adapter I have is a model you clip on your pants/belt, and inside, you have a very common Nikko toy 7.2V battery back (up to even the connector being the same).

Which brand of 7.2V battery has the same connector as the original battery? I'd like to update mine but would prefer not to have to solder the old connector to the new battery.

Thanks.

14 minutes ago, ApolloBoy said:

Which battery pack do you have though?

I have the one that would clip to you belt.  I was able to open it with a pair of small needle nose pliers and discovered original battery has a JST connector.

It's similar, but I don't know where mine is. And I can't guarantee Sega used the same connector on all of those so you better check on your own battery pack - but it is quite cloes, from what I recall, yes!

You also wanna check the physical battery dimensions as well, you wouldn't want to buy a too bulky battery.

I found my battery pack. There is one difference, in that the polarity is reversed. Everything else looks the same; the battery is even shorter for 3 time the original capacity! I don't know if you can find batteries with the same connector but reverse polarity.

1671040856_IMG_37621.thumb.jpg.3b7d2df4b37deba2f537428468ed6535.jpg

Edited by CatPix

That looks a lot like the NiMH batteries you find in low-end R/C cars, only I'm pretty sure the battery shown above is Ni-Cad.  Maybe you could buy one of those packs off of Amazon or some place like that. After a quick search on Amazon, the lowest they come in is 3000 mAh, as opposed to the 1200 shown above.  Maybe they could be rewired to work?

Edit: Hmm...it appears that mmbe beat me to it. Oh well.

Edited by dendawg

You're right, it's a NI-Cd pack, not a Ni-mh. However since it's a slow-charging/trickle charging system, it's possible to replace one by the other.

Howevrer fully charging a 3000 mAh pack might prove tricky as you should limit the charging time. But going from a 1200 to 3000 mAh may get the charging time in the 20 hours region...