IGNORED

Pseudo Vertical Scrolling Demo - "The Art of Scrolling Without Scrolling"

SmittyB

I was asked recently about vertical scrolling for a shooter on the 7800. Of course this isn't a straightforward thing to do, so as usual I thought I'd bring up the old idea of drawing a static object on the screen and then scrolling the graphics memory in RAM.

This isn't by any means the best example simply because I didn't want to spend too long on a throwaway demonstration, but it should give people an idea of how to go about it. I call it "The Art of Scrolling Without Scrolling".

Demo running on raz0red's JS7800

TheArtOfScrollingWithoutScrolling.png.1526da3d3297e9aeb035ae7e626d9d14.png

TheArtOfScrollingWithoutScrolling.zip TheArtOfScrollingWithoutScrolling.bas.a78

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

I mean the typical method on the 7800 of changing the zone sizes and then using an interrupt to fiddle with graphics offsets. As 7800BASIC sits right now I don't think there's a way to implement it with games using that.

This method let's you not only scroll the whole screen if you want but individual parts of it as you see in the demo, and the same ideas can be applied to horizontal scrolling, fade effects, or plenty of other nifty tricks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2