IGNORED

Compute magazine disk image depository

Allan

Starting this thread to have a temporary place to collect Compute! magazine disk images.

I recently got off eBay a whole years worth of Compute's official disks for 1986. (below) (nothing on side B on any of these) (no errors while copying)

I also copied my Best of Compute's 1987 disk that came with the magazine. (both sides) (no errors while copying)

I scanned the disk labels as well and included them below.

If anybody has any disk or disk images that came from  official Compute disks (as apposed to a random program file/files that where typed or found on the Net, etc.) it would be great if you could post them here.

I figure this would be a great start to compiling a complete collection of Atari 8-bit Compute! magazine programs.

Unfortunately I don't know when Compute! started or stopped publishing disks for their magazine.

PS. On a side note I think I answered my question I posed in another thread about whether Compute ever published the source code to SpeedCalc on one of their disks.

Answer: NO.  :(

Best_of_Compute_side_A_1987_.atr Best_of_Compute_side_B_1987.atr Compute_Apr_Jun_1986.atr Compute_Jan_Mar_1986.atr Compute_Jul_Sep_1986.atr Compute_Oct_Dec_1986.atr Compute_Magazine_1986_disk_scans.zip

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

How different things were.  I miss the old computing magazines with type-ins and the fact that there were so many different computers to choose from, all with their own "personality".  Fun times indeed.  I've mentioned many times before, but it was Caves of Ice that my dad & I typed in on my 400 (fortunately it had a b-key installed) only to find out 16kB was not enough, so we had it upgraded to 48kB.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

How different things were.  I miss the old computing magazines with type-ins and the fact that there were so many different computers to choose from, all with their own "personality".  Fun times indeed.  I've mentioned many times before, but it was Caves of Ice that my dad & I typed in on my 400 (fortunately it had a b-key installed) only to find out 16kB was not enough, so we had it upgraded to 48kB.

I miss it too.  I learned Basic solely by typing in magazine listings and figuring out what it was doing.  The M/L games in ANALOG were very good, with my favorite being Livewire, but typing in all those DATA statements was tiresome.  That is the main reason I bought a CX-85 keypad back then.  

• Like 4

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I saw the last post a few months ago, and it's been in the back of my head ever since.

Since then I looked through my old disks and found three that aren't already posted, but discovered I had a dead 1050 power supply.  Fast forward to last week, where I acquired a new power supply and was able to duplicate the following Compute! Disks to add to the collection.

COMPUTE! Disk January-March, 1987 - Vol 9, Nos 1-3

COMPUTE! Disk April-June  1987 - Vol 9, Nos 4-6

COMPUTE! Disk July-September 1987 - Vol 9, Nos 7-9

Compute Disk Jan-Mar 1987 Vol 9 Nos 1-3.atr Compute Disk Apr-Jun 1987 Vol 9 Nos 4-6.atr Compute Disk Jul-Sep 1987 Vol 9 Nos 7-9.atr

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

I purchased another two Compute Atari disks. April, 1988 and October-December, 1987. I made two copies of the April, 1988 disk. it has a bad sector. I don't know what program is affected. Maybe somebody could fix it. @Atari_Ace ?  Anybody.

Compute_disk_April_1988_Atari.jpg

Compute_disk_October_December_1987_Atari.jpg

Compute_disk_1988_April_copy_A.atr Compute_disk_1988_April_copy_B.atr Compute_disk_1987_Oct_Dec.atr

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2022 at 6:06 AM, Allan said:

I purchased another two Compute Atari disks. April, 1988 and October-December, 1987. I made two copies of the April, 1988 disk. it has a bad sector. I don't know what program is affected. Maybe somebody could fix it. @Atari_Ace ?  Anybody.

I took a look.  Sector 15 should be the last sector of the file MENU, but it links to sector 16 which is the next file AMAKER.APR.  If you make sector 15 contain a single byte (0x16), MENU then becomes a valid BASIC program.  The only other metadata issue appears to be that when a copy of INSIGHT.APR was deleted from sectors 23-34, the VTOC wasn't cleared, but that's a common issue on old disks.

So here's the "fixed" atr.

Compute_disk_1988_April_f1.atr

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...