IGNORED

Announcement: tfhh goes ST - some new gadgets made by me

Hi,

some of the Atari ST fans are also 8-Bit fans (and vice versa) and may already know, that I make some little projects to enhance the capatibilities of the Atari 8-Bit family.

Some time ago I´ve decided to do the next step and make some stuff for the Atari ST series, too. Find some infos here.

PLEASE READ THIS FIRST:

1. All informations (availibity, pricing, links to manuals etc.pp.) is found in my info file - see also link in my signature. This file is updated 2-3 times a month constantly, so bookmark it ?
  2. PLEASE don´t ask for prices and availibity here in this thread. See 1.)
  3. You don´t need to show interest (what is very nice, indeed). All projects are finished and will be offered independent from request here. See 1.)
  4. The first batches of all five shown expansions are ready at mid to end of July 2020. See 1.)

Thanks for reading ?

Now here´s brief overview...

Dual-TOS_Card_Front.thumb.jpg.159474de3af53e7a5e4865ae7a86d5bd.jpg

DUAL-TOS Card for Atari ST computers (TOS 1.0x / 2.0x)

This expansion can be installed in all Atari ST (except 1040 ST with CPU under the disk drive) and the Mega ST. It enables the usage of any TOS 1.0x version and TOS 2.05 or 2.06. No need to dril holes for switches, just use the existing RESET pushbutton. Eraseable EPROM included, if wanted, preprogrammed with the TOS versions and language of your choice.

---

Dual-TOS_Card_RTC_Front.thumb.jpg.a86843f2c05008c5019b83476bca35bd.jpg

DUAL-TOS Card with Mega ST compatible RTC for Atari ST computers (TOS 1.0x / 2.0x)

This expansion can be installed in all Atari ST - except 1040 ST with CPU under the disk drive. For this special version of the 1040 ST a seperate version will offered in the next 3-4 months. The DUAL-TOS Card enables the usage of any TOS 1.0x version and TOS 2.05 or 2.06. No need to dril holes for switches, just use the existing RESET pushbutton. Eraseable EPROM included, if wanted, preprogrammed with the TOS versions and language of your choice.

This version has also the Ricoh RTC chip onboard, which is fully compatible to the Mega ST RTC. You don´t need special software, all TOS versions from 1.02 up to 2.06 supports this RTC. Just use the Control Panel to set the clock.

---

Dual-TOS_Card_1040STE_Front.thumb.jpg.1edaed2d1a5969b065b0c39b815b33f6.jpg

DUAL-TOS Card with Mega ST compatible RTC for the Atari 1040 STE computer (TOS 1.06 / 1.62 / 2.0x)

This expansion is specially made for the Atari 1040 STE only. It´s the first (known to me) expansion which enables a Mega ST compatible RTC for the 1040 STE. Also it enables the usage of two TOS versions which are able to run on an Atari 1040 STE (TOS 1.06, 1.62 and the 2.0x). No need to dril holes for switches, just use the existing RESET pushbutton. One-Time-Programmable PROM included, if wanted, preprogrammed with the TOS versions and language of your choice.

You don´t need special software, all TOS versions running on the 1040 STE supports this RTC. Just use the Control Panel to set the clock.

---

HD_Module_Front.thumb.jpg.e402ccaa9b61405d28aec6e15f8320fb.jpg

HD Module for 1.44 HD disk drive for all Atari STs and the 1040 STE

This is one of the smallest PCBs with fully automated HD features for the ST series. It supports two drives with different setups (HD/HD, DD/HD, HD/DD, DD/DD), generates automatically the 3 ms step rate pulse and corrects the media change detection problem with standard PC disk drives. It has it´s own clock onboard, so no disturbation to the weak 16 MHz signal from the Shifter occours. You need a HD compatible disk drive which mostly must modified to work with an Atari ST (drive must be set to DS0 and HD-output on pin 2).

---

ST4MB_Front.thumb.jpg.8b7c1676d8d72996ca12a88f4e889e8e.jpg

4 MByte Memory Expansion for all Atari ST and the Mega ST

This PCB enables to expand your ST´s memory to 4 MByte. It can be installed in all Atari 260/520/1040 ST/STF/STM/STFM and the Mega ST series. It uses two banks with 2 MByte each, if wanted, only the first bank could be used and the 2nd bank deactivated.

---

Reminder:  All informations (availibity, pricing, links to manuals etc.pp.) is found in my info file - see also link in my signature. This file is updated 2-3 times a month constantly, so bookmark it ? 

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Goochman said:

Id really like to get the 4MB expansion for my Mega 2 but dont have the skills to install it.  Havent found anyone in the US that does "ST" work.

After doing a few mods on my 8bits and then doing one on the Falcon, I can say without a doubt I much prefer working on the 8bits.

1) the components are much larger, so easier to work on.

2) I have plenty of them, and only one Falcon!

But I have installed Exxos' TOS switcher.  I may want to order this one for the 1040 STe, as I would love one without a toggle switch!

• Like 1

Quick question regarding the TOS switcher for the Mega ST...

As this has come up countless times - will it work with an accelerator board such

as the AdSpeed or T-boards?

In the past, there's always been a conflict which will not let them work together.

It's why I don't have TOS v2.06 on the Mega ST that I use to run DarkForce.

Oh, before anyone mentions it, I won't give up the accelerator for this computer,

it makes the BBS so much "snappier" that I wouldn't give it up.

Thanks (and thanks for supporting the Atari community)!  :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DarkLord said:

As this has come up countless times - will it work with an accelerator board such

It's why I don't have TOS v2.06 on they Mega ST that I use to run DarkForce.

Oh, before anyone mentions it, I won't give up the accelerator for this computer,

The main problem of the most accelerator boards is a dirty implementation of the cache hit/miss logic. For example, some early PAK versions won´t also run with TOS 2.0x, because their initial logic didn´t recognize the TOS 2.0x memory area ($E0000-$E3FFFF).

I have only "HyperCache ST" from proVME (16 MHz with 16 KByte cache) boards for the ST series. They work in 2 different Mega ST and works fine with my and other TOS 2.0x solution. IMHO these proVME ones were the only one really 100% working accelerators (can speak for the german market only).

Some other accelerators like the HBS240 and other have nasty, hard to catch problems. In some conditions they work flawless, in other environments (specially MIDI equipment with their dongles) spurious problems occours.

Can understand, the power of a BBS with 8 MHz standard isn´t a pleasure. That´s why I wrote a lot of parts in my BBS software ("Madness Mailbox-System") in pure assembler :-D

11 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Quick question regarding the TOS switcher for the Mega ST...

In the past, there's always been a conflict which will not let them work together.

It's why I don't have TOS v2.06 on they Mega ST that I use to run DarkForce.

Thanks (and thanks for supporting the Atari community)!  :)

Hey, I have an Adspeed and a Wizztronics TOS switcher Compatibility Plus that works together. I did try it with Lightning ST and cloudy.. but Adspeed would not allow the IDE to work.   

James

I'm interested in the 4MByte expansion.  My current one is the Marpet and it has that long cable piggy-backed to the mmu.  Your design is cleaner, but the manual says the existing ram must not be removed.  My 520ST has the ram removed and the Marpet works fine.  Yours works differently?

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 3:32 PM, tf_hh said:

The main problem of the most accelerator boards is a dirty implementation of the cache hit/miss logic. For example, some early PAK versions won´t also run with TOS 2.0x, because their initial logic didn´t recognize the TOS 2.0x memory area ($E0000-$E3FFFF).

I have only "HyperCache ST" from proVME (16 MHz with 16 KByte cache) boards for the ST series. They work in 2 different Mega ST and works fine with my and other TOS 2.0x solution. IMHO these proVME ones were the only one really 100% working accelerators (can speak for the german market only).

Some other accelerators like the HBS240 and other have nasty, hard to catch problems. In some conditions they work flawless, in other environments (specially MIDI equipment with their dongles) spurious problems occours.

Can understand, the power of a BBS with 8 MHz standard isn´t a pleasure. That´s why I wrote a lot of parts in my BBS software ("Madness Mailbox-System") in pure assembler :-D

So my take from this reply is I'd have to buy it and try it to see?

Thanks.

On 6/6/2020 at 11:38 PM, Bikerbob said:

Hey, I have an Adspeed and a Wizztronics TOS switcher Compatibility Plus that works together. I did try it with Lightning ST and cloudy.. but Adspeed would not allow the IDE to work.   

James

Well, I don't have one of those Wizztronics boards, but that sounds promising. 

7 hours ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

I'm interested in the 4MByte expansion.  My current one is the Marpet and it has that long cable piggy-backed to the mmu.  Your design is cleaner, but the manual says the existing ram must not be removed.  My 520ST has the ram removed and the Marpet works fine.  Yours works differently?

In general I also recommend to remove the existing DRAM. Most important reason is the fact, that the 32 DRAM chips (1 MByte) draws a lot of current, make the machine more warm than needed and, 2nd reason, in absolute rare cases it might cause trouble. Not only with my expansion, will all - that´s why some manuals demands the removal of the old RAMs.

IMHO it´s not mandatory at all. You have only to cut the connection from CASxL, CASHxH and RASx (x = 0 or 1, banknumber) and connect these three lines directly to high level. This forces the RAMs to be in tri-state and deactivated. 99% of all machines works fine then.

7 hours ago, DarkLord said:

So my take from this reply is I'd have to buy it and try it to see?

I´m sure a lot of people here at AtariAge will prove that I´m absolute standing behind the word "service" and until today I found for every problem a solution - from U.S. to Australia, New Zealand, Japan or wherever. So if you are interested and purchase one of them and it will NOT work, I will help. Or refund. Or whatever is the best way for both sides ?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, tf_hh said:

I´m sure a lot of people here at AtariAge will prove that I´m absolute standing behind the word "service" and until today I found for every problem a solution - from U.S. to Australia, New Zealand, Japan or wherever. So if you are interested and purchase one of them and it will NOT work, I will help. Or refund. Or whatever is the best way for both sides ?

I can definitely confirm this from my personal experience with @tf_hh

• Like 2